Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Springboks Training Squad  (Read 2750 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Springboks Training Squad
« on: June 23, 2019, 06:55:50 PM »
WLR is in, as you would expect, as is Leyds. This is the training squad, so could of course change. Leyds may now be closer to a decision.

Forwards (16): Schalk Brits (Bulls), Marcell Coetzee (Ulster), Lood de Jager (Bulls), Pieter-Steph du Toit (Stormers), Rynardt Elstadt (Toulouse), Eben Etzebeth (Stormers), Steven Kitshoff (Stormers), Vincent Koch (Saracens), Siya Kolisi (Stormers), Frans Malherbe (Stormers), Malcolm Marx (Lions), Bongi Mbonambi (Stormers), Tendai Mtawarira (Sharks), Franco Mostert (Gloucester), Marvin Orie (Lions), Kwagga Smith (Lions);

Backs (10): Damian de Allende (Stormers), Faf de Klerk (Sale), Aphiwe Dyantyi (Lions), Elton Jantjies (Lions), Herschel Jantjies (Stormers), Cheslin Kolbe (Toulouse), Dillyn Lleyds (Stormers), Willie le Roux (Verblitz), Cobus Reinach (Northampton), Frans Steyn (Montpellier).
It was fine when I left it.....

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Springboks Training Squad
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2019, 07:03:05 PM »
Looks a strong squad already with more to come. I think SA could go really well at the WC.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2019, 07:09:09 PM »
Interesting WLR is attached to his new team and Leyds still Stormers.
Let me tell you something cucumber

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2019, 07:16:03 PM »
Yep I spotted the WLR being at Verblitz, and then recalled that Daly is listed as Wasps. I suppose it depends on the natural or unnatural end of their contract. I guess that Leyds contract would be co-terminus with the Super Rugby season which is still to conclude after last weekend's quarter finals?

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 08:08:53 AM »
Yep I spotted the WLR being at Verblitz, and then recalled that Daly is listed as Wasps. I suppose it depends on the natural or unnatural end of their contract. I guess that Leyds contract would be co-terminus with the Super Rugby season which is still to conclude after last weekend's quarter finals?

So if Leyds is on the cusp of a WC spot then this might explain why nothing has been announced. I presume if he goes to the WC then Wasps will want his contract to start when he becomes available after the WC (I presume he will also ask for a 2 - 3 week rest period after the WC) .

Which raises an ethical point around the payment of players during the WC. If a club signs a player for this coming season but that player is part of their country's WC squad, would the club be right in saying their contract starts when the player becomes available or on 1st sept meaning the player would be paid by the club despite potentially not being available to the club for another 2 - 3 months.

I wonder at what point Daly starts receiving his monthly wedge from Sarries.. end of July? End of Sept?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 09:06:32 AM »
Good point. I suspect that each league has its rules as to when the season starts and ends. Logically, they would be a twelve month period. As you would not expect a player to train in the summer with his old team, the start of the salary year must logically be after the season ends but before the season starts. Given the Prem 7s were usually (not this year) in July, and training would need to take place beforehand, and 'years' tend to be from the first of any month, a GP contract would logically be from 1 June or 1 July, ending either 31 May or 30 June. Given that the RWC ends on 2 November, one might expect so players to arrive for 1 December, train for a few weeks, and start playing in January. I reckon that is half of the 'year' for a GP contract. One must assume that in year arrivals would have their salary added to the cap pro-rata? OR ... if we need of injury 'cover', isn't that outside of the cap?

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 09:11:46 AM »
Just saw a tweet from Lima that says the boys are back in training from today, which suggests the GP contract season is indeed 1 June to 31 May.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2019, 10:06:27 AM »
Must be later as next season goes well into June doesn't it.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2019, 10:30:08 AM »
I would think the contracts start 1 July, end 30th June.

Given the various signings Wasps have announced, the link to Leyds is a bit peculiar as we seem well stocked in his preferred positions (Is that wing and 13?).

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2019, 01:10:38 PM »
Must be later as next season goes well into June doesn't it.

If it does (and you are probably right), then the players won't get much of a break next summer, before needing to be back into training.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2019, 01:23:55 PM »
Prem final is 20 June so very late.

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2019, 01:46:30 PM »
I would think the contracts start 1 July, end 30th June.

Given the various signings Wasps have announced, the link to Leyds is a bit peculiar as we seem well stocked in his preferred positions (Is that wing and 13?).

Leyds has primarily been playing 15 for The Stormers but is a 'utility back' and has covered other positions. I think he is staying put, the quote below from this article https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/dillyn-leyds-is-back-to-his-best/ seems to imply that? Is he talking about Stormers in the first person or as a fan and onlooker, I can't tell.

PLAYING UNDER INCOMING STORMERS COACH JOHN DOBSON

‘Everyone enjoys working with Dobbo, he’s a great character and is good at getting guys on the same page and creating a team environment that people want to be involved in. I’m excited, he has been involved with the coaching team in Super Rugby this year and everyone is looking forward to what he can do. Hopefully some of the boys will stick around and we’ll have a squad that can have a fair crack at Super Rugby next year.’

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2019, 02:32:22 PM »
Given the promotion of Umaga, I doubt we will see Leyds, happy to be proven wrong but that story seems to have faded out.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2019, 03:08:42 PM »
That's exactly what I was thinking RBB. Umaga can cover 15 as well as 12 so I'm not sure there is a need for Leyds anymore.

I'm not sure of the timings but didn't the Leyds rumour surface not too long before the surprise Minozzi announcement. Maybe we ended up signing Minozzi instead of Leyds but the Leyds rumour has been re-circulated by him or his agent to help hin find a good deal elsewhere?

Nopace

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2019, 05:24:56 PM »
Apart from some some encouraging rumours about the Italy training squad, I haven’t seen any hard evidence the MM is fit or will be fit for either the WC or starting the GP season with us. Ditto 2 other squad players that I know of for the latter. So I presume there is an amount of bet hedging.