Always a Wasp

Author Topic: The Cricket World Cup Final  (Read 5429 times)

King Prawn Phuna

• Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: The Cricket World Cup Final
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2019, 02:06:03 PM »
Curiously, the football European Cup final was only on BT...that seems to have dropped off the list.
The older I get the faster I was....

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2019, 03:07:31 PM »
I think the Champions League Final was also broadcast via YouTube.

King Prawn Phuna

• Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2019, 03:12:35 PM »

Really?...that was kept quiet!
The older I get the faster I was....

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2019, 03:16:56 PM »

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2019, 03:32:38 PM »

I'm just hoping that CVC don't drive up the price of the TV contract  deal so much that a lot of supporters can't afford to watch club rugby on TV anymore (perhaps game attendances would then increase??).

Sorry if I am quoting you out of context but I thought I'd mention that I have decided to draw the line after the recent BT Sport price increase - not linked to Rugby or CVC of course but as a former season ticket holder and self-confessed but recovering rugby addict I won't get live prem rugby anymore. I could afford it but I just felt I had to draw the line somewhere, so even those who can afford it have some level of price sensitivity so if CVC do drive the prices up behind a paywall I can't see rugby benefiting.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2019, 03:33:33 PM »
The list is really anachronistic to me. The principle is fine, but the actual events on it are not really all  "crown jewels". It is subjective, but RL events being on there? The numbers don't justify it. I think we would all be miffed if Sky snagged the 6n, we got highlights only, whilst the RL C cup final enjoyed list A status....

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2019, 04:53:42 PM »

Yes, that's how I watched it https://sport.bt.com/football/bt-sport-to-show-free-to-air-uefa-champions-league-final-S11364002870161

Did you have to use a BT Sport login to access to their Youtube channel. I can't see tham giving free access to it on Youtube?

I can't see why the European Football Champions Cup would be a Cat A Crown Jewel though. Surely a Cat A needs to be a UK event, a long history,.. or.. something of national interest for a large portion of the population.. i.e at national team level.. World Cups etc.

I can't see why RL Challenge Cup Final would qualify either.. where as a home based cricket test match versus Oz or 6N game doesn't?.

Sky did have the rights to home Eng 6 N games at one point. Maybe that is purely what CVC are after?

Surely BBC will give up the half rights they currently have and it will either end up with ITV or with SKY who will most likely team up with C4 again for a highlights package

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2019, 05:04:39 PM »

Yes, that's how I watched it https://sport.bt.com/football/bt-sport-to-show-free-to-air-uefa-champions-league-final-S11364002870161

Did you have to use a BT Sport login to access to their Youtube channel. I can't see tham giving free access to it on Youtube?

I can't see why the European Football Champions Cup would be a Cat A Crown Jewel though. Surely a Cat A needs to be a UK event, a long history,.. or.. something of national interest for a large portion of the population.. i.e at national team level.. World Cups etc.

I can't see why RL Challenge Cup Final would qualify either.. where as a home based cricket test match versus Oz or 6N game doesn't?.

Sky did have the rights to home Eng 6 N games at one point. Maybe that is purely what CVC are after?

Surely BBC will give up the half rights they currently have and it will either end up with ITV or with SKY who will most likely team up with C4 again for a highlights package

No BT Sport log in required. You just accessed the stream as you would any other video on YouTube. Sure, it still had all the BT Sport branding on the stream (as you'd expect if you were watching it directly via BT Sport) but it was free to watch.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2019, 05:16:20 PM »
Do they stream rugby games on that channel or was that just a one off?

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2019, 06:34:48 PM »

They have occasional free to air events... Often they're the really high profile ones - cup finals etc.

It's obviously to showcase the service they offer in the hope that some people sign up for the regular season, but it's also good news for occasional fans who just like to see the major events

W2APS

« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2019, 09:43:43 AM »
Pete gets around a lot doing all sorts of super high profile sporting events. You'll regularly hear him at Wembley (various sports) occasionally Twickenham, Olympics, Commonwealth Games, most RL Super League finals and some normal league matches. He's very much in demand and we are very lucky to have him at Wasps.
For those not in the know he's been our regular stadium announcer (doing everything useful, ie not Kurky allezing away) since we moved to Loftus Road in 1996. When we moved out to Adams Park in High Wycombe he came with us.

Sent from my TA-1012 using Tapatalk

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2019, 10:05:20 AM »
Yes Pete is a northerner, whose real love is Rugby League.

He lives in the MK area, where his daughter was a gymnast and he reached the pinnacle of his career announcing at one of our Buckinghamshire gym competitions.

He also was the announcer at Charlton Athletic after he was "spotted" by Alan Curbishley's wife at an Adams Park Wasps match (I am told she was a Wasps ST holder)

Don't get me started on Kurky - I still haven't forgiven him for trying to introduce the Toulon chant at Adams Park!

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2019, 08:45:18 AM »
I played with Pete for the Drunken Wasps at the Fat Blokes 7s many years ago. We executed a new tactical move by doing a conga with the ball at the back of a ruck, from which we scored. Completey bamboozled the opposition. Predates the current trend for the crocodile ruck by at least a decade.