Always a Wasp

Author Topic: What got Brad Shields 'frustrated' and 'uptight' in debut season.  (Read 2647 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
From Bobby Bridge.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/england-rugby-news-wasps-shields-16624321

That fractured cheekbone really didn't help one little bit.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: What got Brad Shields 'frustrated' and 'uptight' in debut season.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 11:50:19 AM »
I was really excited by the prospect of Brad coming to Wasps as I had seen a number of games on TV from NZ and he really was in Super Rugby - right up there with the best of the players on show.

In many ways his first season mirrored that of Lima except having the England tour to add on to the workload - so was always going to need a reasonably gentle introduction - but then we had the injury crisis which might have put pressure on him to play sooner than planned and sooner than his injury indicated, ideally (perhaps?)

I think its rare to see the best of SH players first season in the Prem - the game really is different in reffing interpretation (my bugbear!) and how its played especially in terms of collisions. I think, once we've got the RWC out of the way, a decent run on the injury front and the ability to rest players strategically, we ought to see a very different and much improved Wasps this season. Hope Jimmy, especially, keeps in one piece!

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 12:32:51 PM »
I also wouldn't be surprised if the furore over his selection in the England team (re: eligibility) may also have had an impact?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 01:06:39 PM »
I also wouldn't be surprised if the furore over his selection in the England team (re: eligibility) may also have had an impact?

Wouldn't be at all surprised.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 07:01:08 PM »
I thought Shields had a good season actually once he'd got through the cheekbone stuff. Certainly post Christmas he was excellent and to me looked a "proper" player. He looks like leadership material as well and I think in his second season we'll realise what a calibre of player we've got. Big dilemma is when he and Willis are both available who starts at six! Nice problem!

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 07:38:42 AM »
Big dilemma is when he and Willis are both available who starts at six! Nice problem!

Ive always felt that Jack is more of a proper 7 than a 6 but YY is such a class player that you have to keep him at 7.

With Willis x2, Shields, Young, Nemo, Vailanu and Morris among our back row options, it looks like Dai will have a difficult weekly selection dilemma.

Given Young’s and Jack’s recent injury history though I can see them rotating a lot and we wouldn’t lose anything in terms of turnover ability.

DuncanS

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 10:04:23 AM »
Don’t forget Rieder in our back row options.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 07:45:31 PM »
And Johnson! Our back row options really are excellent.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2019, 01:08:01 PM »
Don’t forget Rieder in our back row options.

Probably one of my favourite Wasps players - and one I hope to see showing best form in the Black and Gold