Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Pre season matches?  (Read 2491 times)

Heathen

• View Profile
Pre season matches?
« on: July 22, 2019, 08:09:49 AM »
Just a thought but if there are no pre season hit outs against other clubs, we start playing on Sept 21 with a 23 man matchday squad, with at least 7 players required to play the full 80 minutes.

With normal preseason fixtures, rolling subs are the norm so that no one plays much more than 40 minutes and most of the squad can get some game time.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Pre season matches?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 08:38:24 AM »
Seems to be the case unfortunately. Saints have at least one friendly against a Leinster side.
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2019, 08:43:36 AM »
Much is different.

The prem 7's are late. These are typically squads with mainly senior academy junior main squad players. Last year the only team that didn't do this so much was Sarries, and they won. The year before the exception was Wasps, and they won. I guess availability of suitable players is a factor (injuries etc). That was certainly the case with Wasps two years ago.

It is a test of stamina, and in the final game last year it was plain that Wasps were running on empty, and Sarries were not.

So, a certain number of your squad are going to have had a stamina test (if you get through to the finals) already.

Previous years there was then a rest for these players. Not so this year.

I am not sure how hard Wasps will want to win at the Prem Cup. Dai's #1 focus will be finishing in the top 6 of the GP, plus getting past the first phase of European games. I cannot think he will be much concerned about the Prem Cup. I suspect he will try to bed in some working 'sets' of players to see who gels best with who.

I think it will work out OK.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2019, 09:14:21 AM »
I'm with Heathen on this. Although the Prem Cup is not the main focus for clubs it is still a competition so starting the season using the 1st few games of this as essentially warmup games is a little disappointing.

It doesn't matter how much pre-season training is done there's no substitute for getting match time in players legs. I think the pre-season games allow more flexibility with substitutions to allow DoR's to manage their players.

I'm curious to learn why Wasps have chosen this path or whether its a league wide decision? If so, why? I know the season has changed slightly due to the WC and that some players aren't with their clubs now or during autumn but that's only perhaps 40 or so players from across the whole league.

Saints seem to have line up a game against Leinster. Do other clubs have pre-season games lined up?

King Prawn Phuna

• Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2019, 09:27:33 AM »
I know that Gloucester don't have any lined up, they are taking the same view as Wasps...it all starts with the cup games.
The older I get the faster I was....

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2019, 10:11:42 AM »
I guess you have to question whether or not pre-seasons before the cup will actually help. Or if it's better to just use the cup to build up the time.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2019, 03:40:25 PM »
Perhaps a potential issue with game time over the season? Wasn't it the AW cup that was dropped last time?

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2019, 04:06:18 PM »
Quinns have stated they will not be having any pre season friendlies, I think quite a few clubs are going down that route. Its going to be a long season so I guess player burn out is in there as a consideration too.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2019, 04:20:52 PM »
Wasps have posted the A team games today. Do not start until November. Should be a few of the squad itching to get some game time by then!

Speedy1974UK

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2019, 04:50:10 PM »
I suspect they might play the odd 'behind closed doors' games. Same with the A Team squad

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2019, 05:00:36 PM »
Wasps have posted the A team games today. Do not start until November. Should be a few of the squad itching to get some game time by then!

Sadly, all the 'Home' games are 7PM KO.