Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Brave or stupid?  (Read 3686 times)

ardenwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Brave or stupid?
« on: August 12, 2019, 09:44:19 AM »
I see on the offy that the club commercial department are taking ‘Wasps on tour’. It appears they are promoting the club at various locations throughout the Midlands giving away fixture cards and freebies. However, one stop raised my eyebrows. They are setting up shop for the day on August 29th at Freeman Common in Leicester, which I believe is just off a certain Welford Road. This strikes me as brave and a slightly odd choice (unless we are trying to wind Tigers up).. I hope the Wasps staff have thick skins that day!

https://www.wasps.co.uk/news/wasps-on-tour/

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Brave or stupid?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 10:13:05 AM »
Interesting. I see Warwick Tech Park is on the list, which is less than a mile from my dad's house. I wonder where they would park themselves that would be conducive to visitors, as parking can be a bit hectic up there?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 11:57:58 AM »
Don't see any problem having a punt in Leicester. :) There seems to me to be a vast area of possibility Birmingham way and east of there. I'm sure we're already doing stuff over there but it's a less crowded field than looking west.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 02:49:01 PM »
Didn’t Tigers do something similar a season or so ago by having a large poster need the Ricoh. a tête-à-tête?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 03:05:15 PM »
Didn’t Tigers do something similar a season or so ago by having a large poster need the Ricoh. a tête-à-tête?

I think Wasps put a poster up in Leicester first if I remember rightly.
Let me tell you something cucumber

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 04:38:29 PM »

Nope, Leicester put up a 'on your doorstep since...' poster on the billboards near the Ricoh, a group of Wasps fans paid for one in Leicester.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 05:30:37 PM »

Nope, Leicester put up a 'on your doorstep since...' poster on the billboards near the Ricoh, a group of Wasps fans paid for one in Leicester.

Ok thanks. Memory playing tricks.
Let me tell you something cucumber

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2019, 06:23:07 PM »
All those billboards sound like a competitive rivalry blossoming into a good old fashioned local rivalry (much like my beloved Arsenal moving to north London and annoying the other team in that area)

Long may these petty jabs continue

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2019, 08:28:02 AM »
I think Tigers were particularly miffed that Wasps landed in Coventry/Warwickshire as historically (the last 3 or 4 decades) any decent rugby talent in the area has gone to Leic.

They also claimed it would affect their fan attendance figures. Some casual rugby followers  in Warwickshire may now choose to go to the Ricoh instead of Welford Rd but die hard tiggers supporters based in Cov or Warwickshire aren't going to change their allegiance.

Back to the mini promo tour - I think its good that they are doing this (is this the first time they've done this - if so why), a mixture of business parks and shopping centres will give a good spread of potential visitors.

Visiting Leicester is an odd choice though... perhaps there is a wider rugby event taking place where Wasps are only one of the attractions

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2019, 12:31:13 PM »
On the rare occasions I've made it to the Ricoh, I've often seen the odd tigers fan (when not playing tigers). On the times I've chatted to them, they basically said that tigers were away and they fancied watching a game. So a floating supporter could easily be captured, but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if there were similarly new wasps fans taking a stroll over to leicester to catch a game.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2019, 01:20:16 PM »
On the rare occasions I've made it to the Ricoh, I've often seen the odd tigers fan (when not playing tigers). On the times I've chatted to them, they basically said that tigers were away and they fancied watching a game. So a floating supporter could easily be captured, but at the same time, I wouldn't be surprised if there were similarly new wasps fans taking a stroll over to leicester to catch a game.

Agreed, I used to go to Chiefs regularly to watch a game, only stopped when they became the most boring team ever to be in the premiership.

jamestaylor002

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2019, 04:32:47 PM »

Raggs, I too have noticed this. I must admit I thought it was very strange at first seeing fans wearing Tigers shirts to Wasps games (when Tigers weren't the opposition).

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2019, 09:45:05 AM »
Its not that odd. I have been to Quins games, as I have several friends who are Quins season ticket holders & always wear something Wasps (unless they've beaten us recently obviously!)

If you live near Coventry & have always been a supporter of another club, but want to watch rugby, it makes sense that when your club is playing at the other end of the country you could happily watch a top level game at the Ricoh.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2019, 02:39:31 PM »
With the prices and the fan zone, it's a good family day out even if your team isn't playing!

King Prawn Phuna

• Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2019, 03:42:04 PM »
Its not that odd. I have been to Quins games, as I have several friends who are Quins season ticket holders & always wear something Wasps (unless they've beaten us recently obviously!)

If you live near Coventry & have always been a supporter of another club, but want to watch rugby, it makes sense that when your club is playing at the other end of the country you could happily watch a top level game at the Ricoh.

I quite often go or to the BPA...but let's say it wasn't quite as attractive without DC and CW...;)
The older I get the faster I was....