Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Is Dan Robson still injured?  (Read 3782 times)

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Is Dan Robson still injured?
« on: August 12, 2019, 01:07:12 PM »
Didn't see anything particularly special from Heinz yesterday to suggest he should leapfrog Dan. Can only assume he must still be injured ...?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Is Dan Robson still injured?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 01:12:37 PM »
In so any ways that comment suggests that you can apply any form of logic to some of EJs selections or lack thereof. Or, if EJ is being totally logical and following a formula for success, that anybody other than him can see it.

Sadly, in the history of all sports, coaches almost always let emotion, bias and preference get in the way of the best selection. Logic doesn't come into it.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 01:27:16 PM »
Absolutely right. Logic hasn't come into this. For me Robson is a better scrum half that Youngs, Care and Heinz but he's not on the plane. If it's due to injury it still doesn't explain why he wasn't picked when fit or why he was taken on tour and not played.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 01:31:26 PM »
Actually don't mind one bit - it means he is with Wasps from seasons start.
Let me tell you something cucumber

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 01:38:16 PM »
In so any ways that comment suggests that you can apply any form of logic to some of EJs selections or lack thereof. Or, if EJ is being totally logical and following a formula for success, that anybody other than him can see it.

Sadly, in the history of all sports, coaches almost always let emotion, bias and preference get in the way of the best selection. Logic doesn't come into it.

That's fair - and selecting for England is always going to be hard - given the players. Just in the backs you could pick another more than decent set without breaking sweat

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 02:24:36 PM »
Very risky selection IMHO.  Two SH's and two TH's for a long gruelling tournament.  Did you see that moron Marler not singing the NA at Twickenham.  he made a point of being noticed.  Singing the NA at a national sporting event has nothing to do with being a monarchist or republican - it is the team's song.  It shows patriotism to the country and unity with the team you are representing.  Why am I surprised Marler does not get it.  Silly attention seeking child!!!  Well, he got my attention, didn't he!!!!

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 02:27:16 PM »
Whoops!  Wrong thread.  Sorry folks. :P

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 03:02:11 PM »
Probably what I thought... when Wade and Cips were not picked. Not getting international selection cost us both, I would hate to lose Robson to France....
« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 03:16:53 PM by westwaleswasp »

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 04:08:36 PM »
Probably what I thought... when Wade and Cips were not picked. Not getting international selection cost us both, I would hate to lose Robson to France....

That was my thought too. Good, maybe...

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 06:14:05 PM »
Not getting international selection cost us both, I would hate to lose Robson to France....

I'd argue Wade having an American GF coupled with a desire to play NFL was more the reason he left. Cip's indecision was the reason he left.
With French quota's, finances and a stockpile of 9 talent I'm not concerned about any English 9 to France.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2019, 02:02:46 AM »
Cips' indescion was a direct result of his non selection though. He signed for Glaws when finally selected for little money, having been weighing up France. Had he been selected he would have stayed with us as France would not have come into it.
Ditto Wade wishing to play NFL was also a result of not getting to the top table of international selection- I believe he actually said so. I know other factors influence, of course.
French quotas do mean it is less likely that Robson will move, I will grant you that, but I find it hard to believe anything other than we would have both Wade and Cips had they been England regulars.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2019, 08:35:56 AM »
I find it hard to believe anything other than we would have both Wade and Cips had they been England regulars.

I agree with you 100%. Certain Dai haters place the blame at his door. Wrong, wrong,  wrong.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2019, 08:47:58 AM »
Especially Wade - the Prems consistently top scorer of tries not to even get a sniff was doubtless a key factor in moving. Probably the player other teams had to mark with two

I'd have been almost as happy if he'd had a chance with another country - I hate to see talent wasted like that.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2019, 02:03:24 PM »
I think we would definitely have still had Cipriani. Not so sure about Wade. I think there were more personal reasons with him. Wades non selection was a disgrace. The defensive argument was always put forward and then a succession of wingers who were poor in defence have been selected since.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2019, 02:05:13 PM »
He's a better defender than Elliot!