Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Eddie's 31.  (Read 6170 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Eddie's 31.
« on: August 12, 2019, 01:12:01 PM »
Forwards: Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers, 86 caps) **

Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter Chiefs, 12 caps)

Tom Curry (Sale Sharks, 11 caps)

Ellis Genge (Leicester Tigers, 10 caps)

Jamie George (Saracens, 37 caps) *

Maro Itoje (Saracens, 27 caps)

George Kruis (Saracens, 32 caps) *

Joe Launchbury (Wasps, 59 caps) *

Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints, 72 caps) **

Lewis Ludlam (Northampton Saints, 1 cap)

Joe Marler (Harlequins, 58 caps) *

Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins, 22 caps)

Jack Singleton (Saracens, 1 cap)

Sam Underhill (Bath Rugby, 9 caps)

Billy Vunipola (Saracens, 42 caps) *

Mako Vunipola (Saracens, 53 caps) *

Mark Wilson (Newcastle Falcons / Sale Sharks, 13 caps)

Backs: Joe Cokanasiga (Bath Rugby, 5 caps)

Elliot Daly (Saracens, 31 caps)

Owen Farrell (Saracens, 70 caps) *

George Ford (Leicester Tigers, 56 caps) *

Piers Francis (Northampton Saints, 5 caps)

Willi Heinz (Gloucester Rugby, 1 cap)

Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby, 41 caps) *

Jonny May (Leicester Tigers, 45 caps) *

Ruaridh McConnochie (Bath Rugby, uncapped)

Jack Nowell (Exeter Chiefs, 33 caps) *

Henry Slade (Exeter Chiefs, 22 caps) *

Manu Tuilagi (Leicester Tigers, 33 caps) *

Anthony Watson (Bath Rugby, 34 caps) *

Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers, 86 caps) **

* number of Rugby World Cup tournaments played
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Eddie's 31.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 01:13:27 PM »
In fairness, that is not a bad looking squad.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 01:23:56 PM »
Feel sorry for Shields. If he's been left out due to injury that's one thing. If it's a straight pick scenario I think Jones has made a mistake. Department wise we look strong all over the pitch apart from FB where the choices seem to be Daly and Watson - that will cost us points.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 01:27:57 PM »
Includes 5 players with no/little experience - that rather goes against the "caps win world cups" meme and suggests a gamble by Jones who must have had a real change of heart about several players within the last year or so

That said, the changes that resulted in different players getting gametime failed to identify these guys as selections. If Ludlam et al were really RWC prospects, you'd (well, I'd) have wanted them in SA and the 6Ns as players to get experience.

Jones wanted a bolter, I think 5 is gambling quite a bit....

England have a decent pack in prospect - and a decent team - it isn't so much the personnel but the way they've been letting decent leads go and teams back into games. No Te'O might mean Farrell at 12, which would be a good thing - but with a relatively lightweight backline - that really needs Manu and others to be fit and keep fit to provide the go forwards.

Chilham

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2019, 01:29:51 PM »
Piers Francis must have compromising pictures of Fast Eddie.

Surprised at only two tight heads.  Bit of a risk.

Not surprised, but disappointed at the absence of Dobbie and Brad.  I'd have taken Cips for Francis (Farrell to 12), and Goode for Mcconnochie.  Hey ho, his job, not mine.  I must confess, I kind of like including the bolters.  Ludlam and Mcconnochie were on no one's radar a year ago.

Chilham

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2019, 01:30:37 PM »
... oh, and Spencer for Heinz.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2019, 01:50:15 PM »

Me too. Unless there is someone who can play both sides then, they'll be in every game, injuries allowing. What are the rules for replacements?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2019, 02:17:09 PM »
No different to Ford/Farrell and Youngs/Heinz, they’ll be in each of the matchday squads

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2019, 02:26:27 PM »
Very risky selection IMHO.  Two SH's and two TH's for a long gruelling tournament.  Did you see that moron Marler not singing the NA at Twickenham.  he made a point of being noticed.  Singing the NA at a national sporting event has nothing to do with being a monarchist or republican - it is the team's song.  It shows patriotism to the country and unity with the team you are representing.  Why am I surprised Marler does not get it.  Silly attention seeking child!!!  Well, he got my attention, didn't he!!!!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2019, 02:34:03 PM »
No different to Ford/Farrell and Youngs/Heinz, they’ll be in each of the matchday squads

I expect there are players who at a pinch could cover during a game if necessary. You've got to field 2 THs. It's the rules.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2019, 02:36:55 PM »

Me too. Unless there is someone who can play both sides then, they'll be in every game, injuries allowing. What are the rules for replacements?

Agreed, with the front row being, arguably, the most physically demanding role in the time, this is going to be a huge ask for 2 guys to cover.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2019, 02:59:50 PM »
The squad is not too bad. The number of low caps reflects mistakes made a couple of years ago rather than now....

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2019, 03:57:28 PM »
I thought Williams looked much more dynamic than Cole in his brief cameo appearance yesterday. Can't understand taking Cole when he's barely been in contention this last year.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2019, 04:07:28 PM »
But just like over the last year, England can play effectively with either Ford or Farrell at 10 and have some mean players in the pack - but have managed to find too many ways of playing like the best for 20 mins and then fail to adapt to the game in front of them. Had a go at doing the same yesterday - failure to "put their foot on the ball" and perhaps just play the tramlines and get the ball off the pitch enabled Wales a glimpse when they really were in a different time zone, play-wise

My other concern is that Farrell/Manu at 10/12 signals to other team how England will play - reducing options compared to Francis or Farrell at 12 - and the big teams will welcome that certainty

England can win this cup if they can get back to playing with the continuity and elan they showed at times in their winning streak, but have tended to fall off games more recently. Almost looking over prepared at times.

I guess we'll see!

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2019, 05:19:23 PM »
Very risky selection IMHO.  Two SH's and two TH's for a long gruelling tournament.  Did you see that moron Marler not singing the NA at Twickenham.  he made a point of being noticed.  Singing the NA at a national sporting event has nothing to do with being a monarchist or republican - it is the team's song.  It shows patriotism to the country and unity with the team you are representing.  Why am I surprised Marler does not get it.  Silly attention seeking child!!!  Well, he got my attention, didn't he!!!!

Get over it.