Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Eddie's 31.  (Read 6171 times)

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Eddie's 31.
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2019, 11:44:51 AM »
I saw some stats on squad breakdown

NZ 2015 had this: 3x Hookers, 5x props, 3x SR, 6x backrow, 3x SH, 3x FH, 4x centre, 4x back three

This reflects where the knocks will be (backrow)and where you need briefed and practised players in terms of organisational skills/knowledge- SH and FH

England have loads of back three players, a tyro SH and only 4 experienced back row players

Looks odd, but what do I know!

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2019, 12:00:26 PM »
So, let's say Youngs takes a knock on the first game. Enough to miss the group stages but should be back for the knock out rounds. Obviously we're not going to fly in a replacement as then we'll have two international rookies at scrum half. Or turn to Care who's been dropped like a stone. So Ford on the bench covering scrum half.

Second game Farrell takes a knock (or gets a red). Again, he'll miss a few games but will be back for the latter knock out games. Don't want to replace him as he's clearly first choice and would be wanted for the semi and final, when we get there.

So now we have remaining group games and maybe quarter final with Heinz starting 9, Ford starting at 10 and no cover for either of them and no inclination to fly out any cover.

I suppose Slade and maybe Francis can cover 10 but how long is it since either played there for any length of time?

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2019, 12:32:45 PM »
That's about it Trev

If you replace Youngs - that's it - no way back. Ditto Farrell

So surely you do with 3 of each?

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2019, 01:17:56 PM »
Slade was a very decent FH, but as Trev says, how long since he played there last?