Always a Wasp

Author Topic: RWC Stats  (Read 2855 times)

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
RWC Stats
« on: September 12, 2019, 05:21:03 PM »
My favourite RWC stat so far from today's City AM, potential distance each team will travel if they make the final:-

England    3051 km
Wales       1948 km
Ireland     1755 km
Scotland   880   km
Australia   3591 km
SA            995   km
Japan        520   km
NZ            2010 km
France       3358  km
Italy         2219  km

England, Aus and France to suffer more as a result???

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: RWC Stats
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2019, 05:26:36 PM »
Presumably this is internal distances?  If so, then well planned Scotland who only have to travel 880 kms ;D
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2019, 05:29:18 PM »
The Proclaimers would nearly walk that far (805km)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 05:29:57 PM »
LOL
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Doctorkmt

• Wasps Rugby Fan, part time troll
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 09:23:42 PM »
Strap in for some fag packet maths.

Just glanced at these, maybe average is around 2000km??

England having 1000km more than that over 6 to 8 weeks. Thats about 150km a week.

Overall, less than 1 hours flight time difference. A one way trip Heathrow to Edinburgh... Over 2 months. Seems ok to me.

At lesser speeds, train, bus etc this becomes more demanding and tiresome.

Anyone agree, or am I in the middle of a flawed drunken thought process.  ;D
@doctorkmt

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 07:46:15 AM »
Strap in for some fag packet maths.

Just glanced at these, maybe average is around 2000km??

England having 1000km more than that over 6 to 8 weeks. Thats about 150km a week.

Overall, less than 1 hours flight time difference. A one way trip Heathrow to Edinburgh... Over 2 months. Seems ok to me.

At lesser speeds, train, bus etc this becomes more demanding and tiresome.

Anyone agree, or am I in the middle of a flawed drunken thought process.  ;D

Any long distances travelled in Japan are likely to be on the Shinkansen, which will probably be quicker than flying for some trips.

I did the Tokyo to Kyoto trip a few times, takes just over 2 hours for over 400km.

If you are ever in Japan and want to look at travel this site is great  http://www.hyperdia.com/

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 10:12:00 AM »
Ageed - travel on the Shinkansen is no hardship! 

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 09:51:56 AM »
I think EJ and the hierachy will know what is manageable in terms of travelling from venue to venue. Isn't EJ half Japanese?

I hope the players don't just focus on the rugby part and they get to see the sights.

I've never been to Japan but from what I've seen via films (what's the Bill Murray film?) and documentaries, it looks like a fantastic country. A mixture of high tech big cities but with a rich history and gorgeous scenery.

Rifleman Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 12:39:27 PM »
I took my daughters there earlier in the year to see the cherry blossom. It is a truly incredible country. Everything about it is amazing, scenery, heritage, history (ancient and modern) and modern way of living. If you ever get an opportunity it should be a place to go. The girls want to go back already!!

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 10:31:16 AM »
I've started doing a bit of research about Japan and the venues. One of the venues is Kamaishi.. it was the city that was clobbered by the tsunami in 2011.

They have a rugby pitch which is apparently on the location where the school used to be. Permanent seating for about 5k but temporary seating is being put in to increase that by 10k.

I'm glad to see the organisers of the event haven't forgotten about the smaller stadia/cities.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2019, 03:03:54 PM »
I took my daughters there earlier in the year to see the cherry blossom. It is a truly incredible country. Everything about it is amazing, scenery, heritage, history (ancient and modern) and modern way of living. If you ever get an opportunity it should be a place to go. The girls want to go back already!!

Agreed, it's a great place to visit. The peace museum at Hiroshima is an absolute must see. The people are incredibly friendly and hospitable too.

Rifleman Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2019, 03:08:12 PM »
Absolutely, but you need to be emotionally ready.  They don't pull any punches and show it as it was....horrifying.  We found a trip to the Itsukishima shrine and the floating torri gate somewhat restored our emotional balance. A boat trip from the city centre served to reinforce just how far the effects of the bomb were felt.  Definitely a must visit area.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2019, 03:21:35 PM »
Absolutely, but you need to be emotionally ready.  They don't pull any punches and show it as it was....horrifying.  We found a trip to the Itsukishima shrine and the floating torri gate somewhat restored our emotional balance. A boat trip from the city centre served to reinforce just how far the effects of the bomb were felt.  Definitely a must visit area.

Yes, it is very moving, the stone steps............ :'( :'( :'( one of those things that can't be unseen.

Rifleman Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2019, 03:24:28 PM »
Indeed