Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Rob Howley in a spot of bother  (Read 2119 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Rob Howley in a spot of bother
« on: September 17, 2019, 09:07:06 PM »
Wales backs coach Rob Howley has been sent home from the World Cup for an alleged breach of World Rugby's laws covering betting and anti-corruption.

Rob Howley: Wales backs coach sent home from World Cup over alleged betting breach http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49733089

It was fine when I left it.....

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Rob Howley in a spot of bother
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 05:35:59 AM »
Wales backs coach Rob Howley has been sent home from the World Cup for an alleged breach of World Rugby's laws covering betting and anti-corruption.

Rob Howley: Wales backs coach sent home from World Cup over alleged betting breach http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/49733089

There are conflicting reports betweeen him being charged, found guilty or just helping with inquiries. The BBC are reporting that he's just helping with inquiries. If that's the case the evidence must be fairly damning else its somewhat harsh to kick him out of the WC event and ask him to go back to Wales.

The timing is also slightly suspicious. Has someone passed on information to the WRU knowing this would blow up during the WC?

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2019, 06:42:54 AM »
It is an investigation at this stage, WRU and Gatland have spoken https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/rob-howley-betting-wales-rugby-16936217, I agree it is pretty monumental for him to have to fly home, Wales doing some damage limitation by moving the issue away from the team  (as much they can), nevertheless it will almost certainly impact the team and the demeanour of the whole Welsh camp.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2019, 09:12:00 AM »
This might actually improve Wales chances.
He's not the most exciting of coaches & it may actually bring a sense of togetherness to the team, "lets win it for Rob!!"  etc etc

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2019, 01:09:51 PM »
Not sure about that baldpaul. We were always going to win it. 🤩

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2019, 01:21:51 PM »
Dafydd James was on the BBC yesterday morning.  He felt Steven Jones would actually enhance the team and the atmosphere in the camp as he was a good people person, whereas Howley wasn't and overall they would be in a better place than they were.  I'm not sure I buy that, but I did get the feeling there wasn't a lot of love lost between him and Howley though.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2019, 05:39:19 PM »
Numerous articles say it was the betting company's "integrity" team that reported the activity (betting company's integrity team - oxymoron or what).

The question in my mind is what activity did the "integrity" team flag up.. was it unusal activity of bets being placed (i.e. in game spot bets) or did they know who was placing the bets and realised that WRU and World Rugby  have rules against coaches and players placing bets.. I'd be surprised if they knew who Howley was and that he shouldn't be placing bets on rugby..

I wonder if it was the type and timing of bets (mid-game?).

Wasn't Phil Blake banned for 6 months for betting?

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2019, 05:41:27 PM »
Unusual patterns, leading to them taking a bath would be my view. I too found it ironic that they have an 'integrity' function.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2019, 07:57:17 AM »
It hasn't gone unnoticed by a few pundits that Wales have started scoring tries after their attack coach returned to Wales and has been replaced by Stephen Jones who is behind Scarlets attacking prowess