Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Cheslin Kolbe makes me wonder what could have been ...  (Read 4086 times)

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Cheslin Kolbe makes me wonder what could have been ...
« on: October 16, 2019, 01:03:27 PM »
Watching Cheslin Kolbe, and listening to commentators and pundits pouring admiration and praise on him - and rightly so in my opinion, does anyone else wonder what a certain Mr Wade would have been capable of if given a chance?

Both the same height, similar skills and both speedsters over 40m - though I don't know who is the fastest, I've not seen Kolbe play live but I have seen Wadey score tries that I have not seen before or since. We'll never know whether he could have translated that to the international stage but every time I see Kolbe I can't help wondering ...

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Cheslin Kolbe makes me wonder what could have been ...
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 01:08:23 PM »
I think if Christian had been of any other nationality he'd have more than his share of caps by now. Same applies to a certain fly half formerly of this parish IMO.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 01:41:03 PM »
Watching Cheslin Kolbe, and listening to commentators and pundits pouring admiration and praise on him - and rightly so in my opinion, does anyone else wonder what a certain Mr Wade would have been capable of if given a chance?

Both the same height, similar skills and both speedsters over 40m - though I don't know who is the fastest, I've not seen Kolbe play live but I have seen Wadey score tries that I have not seen before or since. We'll never know whether he could have translated that to the international stage but every time I see Kolbe I can't help wondering ...

He played at the Ricoh last season and scored a brilliant try. You could see that he was a very special player.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 02:01:58 PM »
I think Chris W would have been one of the first on the team sheet for Scotland, Ireland, Wales or indeed France. And having bumped into Chris at an A team game a couple of season's ago, I never got anyone thinking he was "small". Not tall, but built and with a better defensive positioning game - for me anyway - than May.

He was unlucky with his injury pre 2015, but to not actually get him into the squad and see if the leading try scorer in the Prem might be of use seems a bit of a waste.

Still my favourite player - you could hear the crowd draw breath when the ball went to him.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 02:16:21 PM »
Kolbe can catch a high ball and tackle better.

Wasps supporters are quick to forget that Wade more often produced magic against average sides but very little against top sides...which I believe contributed to his non selection.
Magic aside, he just wasn't complete enough..
Shoot me down  ;D

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 03:28:48 PM »

Wasps supporters are quick to forget that Wade more often produced magic against average sides but very little against top sides...which I believe contributed to his non selection.

Poor effort - 5 min looking at his record suggests he was as happy to score vs Sarries and Leinster and Tigers as anyone else

But - that was just a bit of fun....what's an "average side" then?

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 05:39:53 PM »
I think if Christian had been of any other nationality he'd have more than his share of caps by now. Same applies to a certain fly half formerly of this parish IMO.

Plus one.
Memory plays some tricks, but I can remember Wadey scoring crackers against then superb sides. Moreover Wadey was excellent under the high ball too, ridiculous spring and reliable catcher. His tackling used the chop tackle and got better. Positionally he was suspect at the start.

In the spirit of Hymenoptera's post to shoot me down I will offer this so that you can shoot at me too-no offence tsken-  Wade is the best all round back three player to have worn the black and gold in the pro era, simply because he could beat people in a phone box and created space and fear. Whatever deficiencies he had, perceived or otherwise, they were outweighed by what he offered elsewhere to the point that he was more valuable to us than any other back three options. Had he been around in the glory years, he would have achieved the status he deserved.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2019, 05:54:19 PM by westwaleswasp »

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 05:49:26 PM »

Poor effort - 5 min looking at his record suggests he was as happy to score vs Sarries and Leinster and Tigers as anyone else

But - that was just a bit of fun....what's an "average side" then?

For a bit of fun - 2016/17 season. Picked as it was our best season in recent years.

Wade tries

Rd2 - Away vs Tigers
Rd3 - 2x home vs Bristol
Rd5 - Home vs Quins
Rd11 - 3x Home vs Bath
Rd12 - Away vs Falcons
Rd13 - Home vs Tigers
Rd14 - Away vs Exeter
Rd16 - Home vs Glaws
Rd17 - Away vs Bath
Rd18 - 2x Home vs Worcester
Rd19 - Home vs Saints
Rd20 - Away vs Bristol
Rd22 - Home vs Saracens

Champions Cup
Rd1 - Away vs Leinster

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2019, 06:59:02 PM »
Not really poor. I don't need to review records as i saw the games and in terms of contribution, much like fiver, often made little impact. I can grab a load of stats and make them tell what ever story I want too.
I think you can determine what an average side is without explanation.
I understand people are sensitive to criticism of Wade. Outside of the Wasps community he isn't as idolised as he is here as much as he is recognised for his talent and that alone tells a story.
I am able to remove my wasps glasses quite easily and I can honestly say MY Opinion is he wasn't as good as he's made out to be...consistently anyway. He scored alot of tries admittedly, but that's not the whole story. He got overlooked by Intl coaches for a reason, mainly because he wasn't complete enough, he excelled in some area's and was damn average in others.
Another statement that will upset Wade groupies, I don't think he should be held in such esteem either. He left the club hanging mid season with no notice, mid contract and showed no respect to his employer...bit of a dickmove in my books. I wish him well but don't buy into the 'hard done by' mantra, he was where he deserved to be.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 07:23:22 PM »
I have no issue with how or why he left, honestly.
Daly, yes, absolutely. Then again, I am of the opinion that Daly's time at Wasps included some of the worst displays I have seen from a Wasp full back, and an awful last season to boot at centre/wing, so perhaps that slants my view of tge departure.
I think outside of Wasps Cipriani was/is hugely admired, just anecdotally. Wade may not be in that class, but I doubt he would be far off, again just from my abecdotal meetings of fans and reading of the boards.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2019, 08:25:51 PM »
Christian deserved a chance. He didn't get it and it didn't look like he ever would. I don't believe he had a fair crack of the whip. Should have been given a chance and if he failed then so be it.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2019, 08:27:56 PM »
I find myself split on the Wade issue. Firstly I think he left in a far worse way than Daly. In contract, just after the start of the season, few other options. Had he simply gone at the end of the prior season I'd have had no issue at all. In terms of performance he was electric and should definitely have had more caps. His defence was on par with most wingers of his generation.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2019, 09:03:55 PM »
Lancaster was a great guy but far too conservative to give Christian a chance. He picked him, but had he had a real interest he would have given him a shot.
Eddie simply believed in caps, and to a large extent just took Lancaster's squad at the start.
I feel Dan Robson will go the same way as Christian and Cipriani.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2019, 09:37:22 PM »
I find myself split on the Wade issue. Firstly I think he left in a far worse way than Daly. In contract, just after the start of the season, few other options. Had he simply gone at the end of the prior season I'd have had no issue at all. In terms of performance he was electric and should definitely have had more caps. His defence was on par with most wingers of his generation.

Very strong rumour at the time that he asked to be released from his contract the season before he left. The request was declined. He then went off to the US to spend the summer. We saw glimpses of his training there and it was impressive but obviously not really for us. He started the season as we saw and his heart obviously was not in it so I suppose the club decided to cut their losses.
Personally hold no animosity, wish he had stayed but you only have one short life and with his recent engagement I doubt he will be back over here.
Let me tell you something cucumber

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2019, 06:20:47 AM »
Lancaster was a great guy but far too conservative to give Christian a chance. He picked him, but had he had a real interest he would have given him a shot.
Eddie simply believed in caps, and to a large extent just took Lancaster's squad at the start.
I feel Dan Robson will go the same way as Christian and Cipriani.

I read an article about Jonny May and that his big break making it to the England squad occured in Argentina on tour. I think Wade was there and earned his first cap. May was yet to earn his first cap.

May's parents had flown out to Argentina but May hadn't been picked for the matchday squad. Some of the players who weren't picked for the next game decided to go out on the beers but May decided to go out for a meal with his parents.. Wade then gets a last minute call to go and join up the British Lions.. Seeing as May doesn't have a hangover.. gets picked for England