Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Salary Cap  (Read 20155 times)

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Salary Cap
« Reply #30 on: October 21, 2019, 02:11:45 PM »
It is a duty in the rules to report anything that could be a loophole, in 2.3 (a) (i)

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2019, 02:35:53 PM »
It is a duty in the rules to report anything that could be a loophole, in 2.3 (a) (i)

Perhaps Sarries read "report" as "exploit"?  Easily done.

Geewhiz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2019, 03:37:47 PM »
HMRC have tightened the regulations and closed many of the loopholes relating to disguised remuneration.
I am sure that they are aware of these schemes and the PRL might want to consider what action, if any, is being taken by HMRC to assist them in their conclusions.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 21, 2019, 03:57:25 PM »
Much as a find it difficult to believe that all is above board at Sarrries, I am still unclear as to where the remuneration is in these schemes (at least in the present).

If these are joint investments then the tax office will be happy so long as they get their tax on any profit. Only if ownership changes will there be a potential tax issue, then only if it is there is an undervalue sale.

For all the ifs and buts about what might happen later, what has actually happened (so far as currently available information goes) as of today that contravenes anything?

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2019, 03:57:53 PM »
As I understand it the rumoured loophole doesn't involve any payments to any players but rather it ensures the ex-players have access to a nice little nest-egg  business portfolio when they retire. The taxman gets everything he expects as & when the assets aree liquidated several years hence so he's happy and the Saracens can claim they are merely doing the right thing in supporting players'  preparations for a life outside rugby. In my opinion if this is what is found to have happened then it is a breach. Anything that incentives players to join one club over another should be considered salary and failure to describe the loophole in full to the administrators is a clear breach

My fear is that this will all get swept under the carpet. Rules will be tightened and the cap budget will be increased by another couple of million ... Which most clubs can't afford. If you set the cap at for example £10m what's the point of having any cap at all?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 04:01:02 PM by Marlow Nick »

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2019, 04:06:17 PM »
Is not the problem that it is something that might happen, not something that has happened? The asset has not been liquidated and so for all anyone know when it is then the money might be divided in accordance with the investment.

Of course these might not be new and there might be some historical instances which can be shown to be a transfer of value.

Belfast Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 21, 2019, 04:09:52 PM »
I cant see anything being announced while England are still in RWC as any bad news could be deemed as detrimental to their progression. Seeing as so many England players are Saracens.  Hopefully therefore a surprise could be in the offing???

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2019, 05:20:57 PM »
I cant see anything being announced while England are still in RWC as any bad news could be deemed as detrimental to their progression. Seeing as so many England players are Saracens.  Hopefully therefore a surprise could be in the offing???

Are you planning a trip again.. the 2 alsations at the club are missing you!

Belfast Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 21, 2019, 09:51:18 PM »
I am but not sure when as very busy at mo

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2019, 06:36:16 AM »
Perhaps I am reading too much into the delay but I am thinking that the news is not so good for Saracens and therefore will impact the demeanour of their players still involved in RWC. Either way if I were a Saracens player who was potentially within the parameters that are under discussion then I would be mightily distracted by this, no one likes an uncertain wait, let's hope they are mentally tougher than me.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2019, 07:07:56 AM by RBB »
It was fine when I left it.....

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2019, 07:46:03 AM »
There are eight Saracens players in the England squad in Japan including captain Owen Farrell, and any sanction given to the club could have a significant impact on their careers.

If Saracens are found guilty they will almost certainly be forced to cut their budget, in addition to potentially being given a points deduction of up to 35 points, which could lead to several players needing to look for new employers.

Mmmmmmm!!!!!!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2019, 08:12:53 AM »
Can but hope!
Let me tell you something cucumber

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2019, 09:06:48 AM »
They'd have to go somewhere with no salary cap, I doubt any of the GP clubs have space at the moment.  Will there be an Irish club name Dublin Sarries, and with "interesting" player exchange arrangements with a UK club??

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2019, 09:20:03 AM »
Perhaps I am reading too much into the delay but I am thinking that the news is not so good for Saracens and therefore will impact the demeanour of their players still involved in RWC. Either way if I were a Saracens player who was potentially within the parameters that are under discussion then I would be mightily distracted by this, no one likes an uncertain wait, let's hope they are mentally tougher than me.

I drew the very same conclusion. Fingers crossed that justice will be served this time around.