Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Loss to Irish.  (Read 11944 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Loss to Irish.
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2019, 10:39:01 AM »
Read a number of posts and glad to see the histrionics back on DW so quickly. I find it strange that posters on there dont know which of our players are injured and why. Hohum.

Yesterday was not a total disaster but came close. I got rid of my swearing on the long wet drive back.
Doyle - I happen to think (with ref-link) spent the whole first half coaching Irish on what they were doing wrong. When a ref does that he opens the door for all and sundry to complain, moan and point out crap. He had no control over the Irish commenting until late on when he lost his temper with Blair Cowan. Another point is we were pinged constantly not by Doyle but the touch judge. He saw us offside but in line with me missed two blatant Irish offside. Give Dan his due he kept pointing out transgressions as he saw them and only got a - I didn't see it or my team didn't report it - not good enough.  How the hell they got away with thumping the ball forward when there was only one Wasp left outside I have no idea. Not even looked at which is a total disgrace. Also from my point of view and Irishman refereeing Irish should not have happened. To be honest he was the most Irish sounding out there.

Player wise - Zac wonderful going forward not too good in defence. We need a good constant destructive 12. That may be Fekitoa changing position who knows. If we could have 15 Jack Willis on the pitch we might frighten people. I thought Lima had an ok game but don't think Dan was firing too smartly.
Not sure about Jeff TA yet but it is going to be a fun month or two listening to him get in the ear of the refs. Told yesterday that "We don't do that up here" by Doyle.  He is enthusiastic so is welcome.

Anyone who wants to have a go at Lima please watch the Mental Health video Wasps put on Twitter and platforms last week.
Let me tell you something cucumber

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2019, 10:58:20 AM »
I can't remember if it has been tried before but has Sops played 12 with Billy at 10? I would like to see this being played, even for the last quarter of a match to see how he copes

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2019, 11:20:41 AM »
I may have got this wrong -but the most bizarre Doyle call was for Bassett "in at the side" when he was the player tackled....first half towards right touchline

But, its no excuse for performing like we'd not met before.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2019, 11:30:00 AM »
I thought their try off a lineout involved a pass 2-3 metres forward. No-one mentioned it in commentary, I suspect because it was against their narrative of the game [plucky Irish etc].

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2019, 02:02:02 PM »
Anyone who wants to have a go at Lima please watch the Mental Health video Wasps put on Twitter and platforms last week.

Whilst no one appears to be having a go I see no correlation to someone performing way below their bar to a video of a broader subject. I'll quote that video to my boss when I put my feet up for a year or so, see if he's ok with it.

Think you should keep statements like that for the Sermon thread.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2019, 02:08:34 PM »
The Worcester match was a bit like watching a Wasps tribute act for the first half, but seemed to come good in the second.

The LI match was depressing because of a lack of game intelligence, and some individual bloopers, but watching it back once I got home I though the performance seems better that what I saw at the Ricoh and large parts of the play seemed pretty good/getting there, just interspersed with disjointed stuff that blew it.

There were a few odd calls, notably how that intentional knock-on that prevented a try was not looked at, and how Bassett could have a line out against him when he was not holding the ball when his foot went out, to name a couple.

What confused me was how they could be on top of us immediately at every breakdown and be on-side, and Wasps get getting pinged for being off-side. Either JP is biased against us, and the commentators were keeping quiet about it, or we have a couple of training issues on that score.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2019, 02:37:05 PM »
It was good that the players can round the pitch at the end though. Whatever our gripes, and the result, they are our team and (from my point of view) doing things I could only dream of, and I applaud that they came round than just scuttled back down the tunnel.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2019, 04:47:10 PM »

Are rules different for knock ons from kicks than passes?
Obviously you can charge down a kick so there's definitely some variation in the rules

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2019, 04:55:42 PM »
It is not a knock on if "A player knocks the ball forward immediately after an opponent has kicked it (charge down).", not sure what constitutes "immediate".

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2019, 05:27:08 PM »
The incident in Saturday was obviously not immediate regardless of the definition.

However, yellow card laws / interpretations may differ too

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2019, 06:43:40 PM »
Plenty of knock ons given at re-starts. I don't really like the deliberate knock on rule/law, but hard to see why it wasn't applied given that he desperately batted the kick pass ball away using one hand, preventing a try.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2019, 07:59:14 PM »
Don't disagree about the reffing but I don't think we can pretend that we lost because of Doyle. We butchered at least three tries and were really not clinical enough especially in the second half. Our lineout didn't function and we made poor decisions.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 21, 2019, 09:11:29 PM »
Don't disagree about the reffing but I don't think we can pretend that we lost because of Doyle. We butchered at least three tries and were really not clinical enough especially in the second half. Our lineout didn't function and we made poor decisions.
Well, had he given the deliberate knock on we'd have won by 4 points ..but agree we should have performed better an not relied on a ref doing his job properly.
Trouble is, there is very little between the teams playing in this league and if decisions are made that are blatantly wrong then your going to lose. Sometimes, the difference between the sides is as much and as little as the man in the middle and that's just the sad fact. He has a history of being a shitty ref and it needs to change...this isn't the first time. We lost to Tigers last season because of this guy, so this isn't a one off.
Not every team has 20 tries in there pockets.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 21, 2019, 09:38:33 PM »
That Tigers match disallowed try was nothing compared to the 2 from yesterday.

With the Tigers match I never saw grounding. But yesterday it was a blatant deliberate knock on and yellow card which should've led to a penalty try.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2019, 10:09:58 PM »
Well, had he given the deliberate knock on we'd have won by 4 points

And their FB would have been off the field for 10 minutes.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!