Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Scrum Time.  (Read 2901 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Scrum Time.
« on: October 22, 2019, 09:39:01 PM »
This may well have been discussed before but one of the biggest blights on the game at the moment for me is time lost to re-set scrums. On Sunday a conservative estimate in my opinion would be 10 minutes lost. That's a huge chunk of time. Rugby is a long way ahead of most other sports in terms of common sense laws and use of technology. The answer to this is surely stunningly simple - stop the clock until the front rows engage.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Scrum Time.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 09:46:20 PM »
I totally with you, the problem with that is the game may never end when added to time wasting, an example of which we saw by LI at the weekend. I would like to see a free kick awarded if not reset within a certain time.

But thats gets me onto 2 of my biggest bugs, both linked... The Caterpillar and the Use it. Please oh please can we reduce the cat to one man and actually apply a time to use it, not continually say use it for 20 secs until the scrummy puts his tea down and actually uses it...or just STFU and say nothing.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2019, 10:54:27 PM »
This may well have been discussed before but one of the biggest blights on the game at the moment for me is time lost to re-set scrums. On Sunday a conservative estimate in my opinion would be 10 minutes lost. That's a huge chunk of time. Rugby is a long way ahead of most other sports in terms of common sense laws and use of technology. The answer to this is surely stunningly simple - stop the clock until the front rows engage.

Absolutely totally. Really pi##ed me off the amount of time - and I think Irish played to that as the match went on. Stop the clock and it removes the play acting.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 07:43:43 AM »
On ref Mic JP did ask for the clock to be stopped whenever there was a scrum reset and only to be restarted again when he called Crouch, still plenty of time lost on the first scrum set though.

As for the caterpillar at the back of a ruck I don't know why a defensive team hasn't started counting up to 5 when the ref calls use it so indicating the allowed time is up putting pressure on 9 and the ref.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 07:57:35 AM »
My recollection through the earpiece was that that only started late in the match as the crowd started complaining. 
Much as I hate the in the face type crowd, like Franllin Gardens, I do wish Wasps fans were a tad more vocal at times.
Agree on the caterpillar which I thought was outlawed obviously not.
Let me tell you something cucumber

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 09:36:41 AM »
There's a Nigel Owens complilation video online where he gets fed up with both front rows.. he pulls them aside and says "If you don't like scrummaging then you're in the wrong position.. I'll send all of you off and get new front rows on.. now... get on with it"

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 07:04:28 AM »
I don't like stopping the clock except for obvious injuries. We need packs to tire and with so many subs the only way is to remove all the lengthy rests. The ref should force teams to jog to scrums and lineouts, punish delays with free kicks. As soon as the ref can see the ball at the back of scrum or ruck he should call use it and actually enforce it.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 07:48:55 AM »
Agree with the above, playing rugby video games there’s often a timer for every restart of play and if you don’t decide what to do before the time runs out, it’s a free kick to the other team.

Would also like a 5 second rule from use it (which should be called shortly after the ball is deemed playable)

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 07:54:17 AM »
Rugby League now use a "shot clock" which gives 35 seconds for a scrum or 30 seconds for a drop out to be taken otherwise the delaying side are penalised, hardly been a penalty for it all year. Might need to be adjusted length for setting a union scrum or line out but principal could apply.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 08:45:17 AM »
Would also like a 5 second rule from use it (which should be called shortly after the ball is deemed playable)

After the ref calls "use it",  our pack would countdown loudly - "5,4,3,2,1". They then add "coming - ready or not"  ;D
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 08:48:08 AM »
Does this need to go hand in hand with a review of the scrum overall?

Its supposed to be a contest for possession and its currently seen as many things including a penalty magnet

I'm an old prop and I'm bored s**tless with scrums and the cheating and randomness of ref decisions and the waste of time. I know is a different time, but look back to a game, even back to only 2003 RWC and its much less of a mess

Probably time for a rethink as its currently a blight on the game

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 06:16:01 PM »
There seem to be at least four opportunities to slow the game down & they are taken advantage of the longer the game goes on. We all see the scrums, lineouts & kicks. I wonder how many injuries may not be genuine - except referees are quicker to stop the clock.

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2019, 06:55:09 PM »
I get hacked off when scrums have to be continually reset in the last ten minutes of a game as one side tries to run down the clock.

Maybe when the clock gets to 70 minutes the ref should be able to stop it once he awards a scrum and only restart it when the ball is properly back in play.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2019, 08:14:45 PM »
There seem to be at least four opportunities to slow the game down & they are taken advantage of the longer the game goes on. We all see the scrums, lineouts & kicks. I wonder how many injuries may not be genuine - except referees are quicker to stop the clock.

Unless a doc says they can't limp off, they should go off (to the nearest touchline or dead ball line) and be treated there. The team can do without them till they are ready to come back or get replaced.