Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match thread - spoilers  (Read 11554 times)

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Match thread - spoilers
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2019, 11:06:16 AM »
NWW - thanks for the post

That seems fair.

My only coaching thought is that every coaching set up has its effective period, and I just feel that the current set up has probably come/is coming to a natural close - indeed - rather like I think Tigers' team are, watching yesterday and end of last season - when individuals (Ford) got them out of the fire.

I think some of those individuals papered over whatever "team crack" there were - Piutau vs Sarries away.....that game! But I feel as you do that we're just not a team currently.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2019, 02:28:28 PM »
Just a couple of reflections of the game
-i wouldn't judge your season based on the performance in the conditions yesterday, Kingsholm has one of the best pitches in the country now, and it couldn't cope with amount of rain that fell in the before and during the match.
Appreciate the sentiment but it didn't just rain on Wasps side of the pitch and i'll remind you of the loss to LI at home last week...LI that got smashed by Sale at home.
This form isn't something new.

Anyway, Bath next weekend and a chance to show some rugby is in the team. Might sound balmy to say it 3 games in but this game is of massive importance in many aspects beyond the points.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2019, 03:34:33 PM »
I'm relieved that Bath won't be able to put out their first choice back three given they are in Japan.....alongside the best defensive 13 in the Prem....

If they click when they get everyone available...it could be a long afternoon for someone!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2019, 06:02:57 PM »
Just on the 12 debate I was having a conversation where 12 had rightly been identified as an issue. "Right, if you could go and get any 12 who would you get"? Surprisingly there weren't that many obvious answers. Maybe there aren't many about.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2019, 06:23:42 PM »
Shugs, there lies the problem. Especially if you want replacement for Gopperth. An in form Beale would be nice. But a creative 12 is hard to come by. How creative is Lozowski? Just thinking with Sarries centres being quite crowded these days...

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2019, 06:36:03 PM »
Just on the 12 debate I was having a conversation where 12 had rightly been identified as an issue. "Right, if you could go and get any 12 who would you get"? Surprisingly there weren't that many obvious answers. Maybe there aren't many about.
Good call Shugs..They are the proverbial yeti. Everyone is talking them up but who is this mythical creature.
My top recruit would be Ryan Mills, I think he is utter class. I'd also like Williams from Falcons.
If you look around the prem, while they are all wearing 12, none I really go wow to. Atkins we've done, Loz we've done, sicknote (Eastmond) we've done...below that I am under whelmed. Roberts I guess is a one..one trick but a good one...dunno. I'd sign Gopperth..oh hang on!! With Spink in training.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2019, 07:20:04 PM »
Good call Shugs..They are the proverbial yeti. Everyone is talking them up but who is this mythical creature.
My top recruit would be Ryan Mills, I think he is utter class. I'd also like Williams from Falcons.
If you look around the prem, while they are all wearing 12, none I really go wow to. Atkins we've done, Loz we've done, sicknote (Eastmond) we've done...below that I am under whelmed. Roberts I guess is a one..one trick but a good one...dunno. I'd sign Gopperth..oh hang on!! With Spink in training.

Good 12s are, I think, only bred in the SH, especially NZ, which is why I asked if there were any down under available after the RWC?

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2019, 07:27:26 PM »
With all due respect to everyone involved, Wasps fans have been bemoaning the lack of a decent 12 for as long as I have been involved in online forums.

Gopps didn't sign as a 12, and despite the stellar results was only really tried there due to the ever ongoing lack of options and frequent injuries.

Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2019, 07:30:51 PM »
So we're looking for a SH twelve. One who is creative and a distributor rather than a bosh it up merchant. But he must take it into contact and be ok defensively. I think we already have one of those. Searle 10, Sopoaga 12??

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2019, 07:31:56 PM »

Good 12s are, I think, only bred in the SH, especially NZ, which is why I asked if there were any down under available after the RWC?

A lot of those from SH who might be available we now have to compete with the likes of the wealthy Japanese leagues for, Ryan Crotty for example would be a great signing who can play inside and outside centre, but heading off to Japan club side after the World Cup.

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2019, 07:46:24 PM »
So we're looking for a SH twelve. One who is creative and a distributor rather than a bosh it up merchant. But he must take it into contact and be ok defensively. I think we already have one of those. Searle 10, Sopoaga 12??

I would very interested to see this combo, could potentially open the door to be able to rotate Searle and Umaga at 10 and Gopps and Sops at 12

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2019, 07:51:13 PM »
Then why not Miller at 12, its about as relevant as all the talk of Sops at 12. Sops has stood in a couple of times to my knowledge, so that doesn't support the ongoing crying out for a quality 12. We are already in the 'shoehorned 12' business.

He can kick, distribute, tackle, has pace....
« Last Edit: October 28, 2019, 07:53:55 PM by Hymenoptera »

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2019, 09:12:53 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't be against seeing Miller at 12 - he has  the attributes. One thing is for sure De Jongh is a 13 - a good one but a 13.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2019, 10:57:22 PM »
After finally seeing the highlights for the game here are my thoughts.

The tries conceded were defence out wide, again, knock on mistake and awful kick chase.

The defence out wide is something we had problems with last week and last season, we're still not improving there. What's worse is our players looked lethargic running back and nobody seemed to care.

The knock was due to weather I'm sure, but seeing Gloucester handle the passes that well in that weather makes you wonder. 2 seasons ago against Ulster in terrible weather we played similar, i.e. slick hands in awful rain. Shame we've gone so far backwards since then.

That kick. I'm sure you'll blame Robson's injury, but what was he thinking?

Last of all, Dai's interview was baffling. His wording is very strange. We were bad from what I saw, terrible mistakes and poor defence out wide.

I think the players need motivation to play their best, only Jack has shown that so far. I'm also, for the first time, questioning Dai's future. This is a bad start to the season, worse than the start if last season, and I wasn't impressed last season. I'm very concerned going into this season and if things don't get better Dai might be the problem.