Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps 2019/20 anticipated league position  (Read 5570 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps 2019/20 anticipated league position
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2019, 11:27:40 AM »

It's about game management / control.
So far this season we haven't done that at all. We haven't done any of the basics, we haven't convinced anyone that we can recycle through multiple phases and we all know we're unlikely to destroy teams with 1st phase plays.

That sounds drastic, but it's not.

We spent a year try to play single phase rugby without players who are happy to do that, and we seemed to take our eye off the multi phase aspects of the game.

I really feel that we need to take a step back, realise that we're not a special attacking force at the moment, and respect the traditions of the game by going through phases and adding some calm heads and control.
The more time we spend in possession, the less time we actually have to defend and the more tired the opposition will be compared to us.

We need a back row to give us chances of recycling quick ball and putting pressure on their ball.
But most of all, everyone needs to buckle down and do the basics well... The rest will come easily after that

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2019, 11:48:01 AM »
I think we'll be ok injuries allowing. If we can get Robson fit and Gopperth back you'll see a different Sopoaga. Minozzi will allow Watson to go back to the right wing and once Willis x 2 and Young are fit our back row options are impressive. Most on here would identify second row and 12 as our areas of need but even according accounting for that I think we'll be between 4th and 8th. We need a win to get us rolling.

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2019, 11:50:36 AM »
What I would love to happen with regards to our coaching set up is for Dai to take a true DoR role with someone to be brought in as a new head coach who has a lot of experience as a defence coach. I am a massive fan of Dai but I do think we need someone else to come in to mix things up.
I'm kind of likening this potential set up to having a playmaker at 12. Takes some weight off the shoulders of the 10 (Dai in this case), and both can have a pull at the strings

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2019, 01:22:28 PM »
Before London Irish game I hoped for a top four place and expected a top six.  Now I hope for a top six and expect not to be relegated.  Hope I’m right.
“In a world full of Kardashians be an Audrey”.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2019, 01:26:53 PM »
Before London Irish game I hoped for a top four place and expected a top six.  Now I hope for a top six and expect not to be relegated.  Hope I’m right.

Yep +1
Let me tell you something cucumber

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2019, 02:51:51 PM »
I think we'll be ok injuries allowing. If we can get Robson fit and Gopperth back you'll see a different Sopoaga. Minozzi will allow Watson to go back to the right wing and once Willis x 2 and Young are fit our back row options are impressive. Most on here would identify second row and 12 as our areas of need but even according accounting for that I think we'll be between 4th and 8th. We need a win to get us rolling.
Given we  lost last week with Willis and Dan fit, I dont buy into the narrative that academy Tom Willis, Young, Minozzi will make the impact required. And if we are relying on them we re in serious trubs. And why I continue to hear that Sops needs Gopperth to deliver a performance is mind boggling.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2019, 03:19:25 PM »
Have a look back at yesterday's game Hymenoptera. Sopoaga was fed slow, ponderous ball that he could never work with. His first receiver was often a defensive minded 13 playing at 12 or some static forwards. I'm not pretending Sopoaga has been great. What I am certain about is that it's easier to impress as a 10 surrounded by Gopperth, Wade, a bought in Le Roux and Daly and a fit Robson. He's on a decent wage. He's played for the All Blacks. He's not a magician.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2019, 05:03:37 PM »
Forget about yesterdays game, he hasn't had slow ponderous ball his entire career at Wasps. This narrative has been spoken about since he arrived, he must have Gopperth.  if this is true, why did we recruit him, why is he #1 and how does he commend 500k a year when he's dependent on one player, or type of, supporting him.
He looked no better last season with Daly, Le Roux and Robson.
This wasn't intended to be yet another assassination thread of Sops, thats been done to death but this continued narrative is straw clutching. Moving away from Sops, I just don't see where our step up is coming from, we are playing like a Sunday pub team.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2019, 05:11:08 PM »
My back 3 = Minozzi (or Miller), Kibirige and Watson.

Bassett needs a rest.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2019, 05:17:51 PM »
My back 3 = Minozzi (or Miller), Kibirige and Watson.

Bassett needs a rest.

Not convionced by Kibrige - great going forward but can't, apparently, defend.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2019, 05:25:48 PM »
Conversely Basset can tackle but offers nothing in attack..pick your poison I guess.

I havent seen enough of Kibriges defence to have an opinion either way

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 27, 2019, 08:11:33 PM »
Looking at the improvements last year for Saints and Gloucester, along with heavy recruitment for Bristol, Sale and Irish, I can't say that I expected an easy route to the top 4 or 6.  However I expected us to be competing for those spots...

I'm now worried that last year's issues haven't been resolved/addressed and we may be an outside bet for top 6 but likely finishing around 8/9/10th.  Which means we could well be in a relegation scrap if we are not careful.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2019, 08:45:13 AM »
Its too early in the season to try and guess where we might finish in the league but there are worrying signs already that what we were suffering from last season is being replicated this season. I can't a coincidence the the current bottom 2 teams finished near the bottom at the end of last season

It will be a welcome sight to see Gopps back but don't let us forget that he is primarily a 10 that was sort of forced into playing 12. He excelled in that position outside Cips.

Lima plays differently so will that have a knock-on effect to Gopps and restrict how effective he can be? Who knows?

The two teams at the top of the league are the ones that changed their main coaches a season or 2 ago by removing long standing DoR's and bringin in new blood (and philosophies) .

I would say Wuss have also improved after Solomans came in and their league position last season and this probably dn't accurately refelct teir on field performances (maybe a smaller squad lacking depth restricts them?).

If Wasps are near the bottom of the league come next March, I think Dai (despite having a long contract in his pocket) should be looking over his shoulder