Always a Wasp

Author Topic: What's the key to the final?  (Read 2401 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
What's the key to the final?
« on: October 29, 2019, 07:47:11 AM »

Is it as simple as shutting De Klerk down?

I know they have excellent players across the team, but so much of their play is centred around his energy.

If we keep him quiet, do we win?

Heathen

• View Profile
Re: What's the key to the final?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 07:51:08 AM »
I think that Tom Curry knows a lot about him!

Eddie is wise enough to know what threats SA offer and will tailor his game plan accordingly.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2019, 08:26:44 AM »
And Faf knows a lot about Tom Curry. Works both ways.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2019, 09:10:22 AM »
I think Faf De Clerk was the main difference between the 2 sides.

It hasn't escaped my notice that Sale will possibly have 4 players in the final matchday squad.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2019, 09:45:23 AM »
Yup. Faf. He likes to break the rules when the ref isn't looking (who doesn't?).

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2019, 09:47:21 AM »
It hasn't escaped my notice that Sale will possibly have 4 players in the final matchday squad.

The more the merrier. Means we won't have to face them the weekend after next.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2019, 11:37:21 AM »
I love the way the narrative surrounding SA is always about the physicality, as if England have taken a group of delicate flowers to Japan.

I'm confident that England will meet the physical challenge so the question is whether SA have another way to crack the England nut. I hear Kolbe might be available so that will help them.

I think it will be tight, SA won't make the same mistake NZ did and try to open the game up against us, but they will have it all to do to stop us scoring. Wales were never prolific try scorers in this tournament, where England have various ways of scoring a try.

I have us as slight favourites but it won't be easy.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2019, 12:44:11 PM »
Dominant the break down and we win the game. I believe we have more options on scoring trys then them. If we let them dictate the break down it will course us a problem.

It’s what happened against New Zealand, we slowed the ball down a lot and kept the phases going when we attacked.

South Africa will defend well so we must have quick ball

King Prawn Phuna

• Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2019, 04:04:55 PM »
I agree that it's all going to be about the breakdown.  Unfortunately, M. Garces interpretation is going to very important and no-one is ever quite sure what the man is going to do, and seems to change it several times during the match. That said, the speed and agility of Curry and Underhill should get the call more often that not against the bigger less agile guys...it certainly worked when ABs put Barrett in at 6...the only thing he did all day was chase down a lame Jonny May.
The older I get the faster I was....

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2019, 04:51:25 PM »
Dominant the break down and we win the game. I believe we have more options on scoring trys then them. If we let them dictate the break down it will course us a problem.

It’s what happened against New Zealand, we slowed the ball down a lot and kept the phases going when we attacked.

South Africa will defend well so we must have quick ball

I'm wondering if they will start Louw at flanker to try and negate Underhill and Curry.. but I don't think Louw can keep up with both of them for the whole game.

SA will pepper Daly all game long.. move him from one side of the pitch to the other.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2019, 07:44:19 PM »
I have no idea about this. I was quitely confident about NZ, but we exceeded that beyond my wildest expectations. We could have won 30 nil and NZ could not have complained. I. guess it will be one of those games that seems perfectly logical in retrospect. Right now yoy could tell me 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 win by 25 or lose by fifteen and I would believe you.

I do think it shows once again that the world cup is a one year project at best. Ireland looked like the best in the world last November, and by March looked barely better than Scotland. Whatever team Eddie was planning on taking 3 years ago, it sure as hell ain't this one. England will win by beating Argentina, Australia, NZ and SA. SA will win by beating England, Wales, Japan and losing to the ABs. Its 3 to 4 games and the idea of planning for it four yeats ago is balls

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2019, 07:52:41 PM »
They're strength is up front but it's pointless trying to move them round as they'll more than likely replace six of their front eight after 50 minutes or so. I think if we can get the ball wide quickly they are quite weak out there. Discipline will be key as three pointers will be significant. From their point of view alongside just boshing it up De Allende will constantly run down Farrell and Fords channel and they'll put the high ball on Daly whenever they can.