Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Teams Up - Matteo Starts & Jimmy's Back at 12  (Read 2285 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Teams Up - Matteo Starts & Jimmy's Back at 12
« on: November 01, 2019, 12:00:52 PM »
15 Matteo Minozzi

14 Zach Kibirige

13 Malakai Fekitoa

12 Jimmy Gopperth

11 Paolo Odogwu

10 Lima Sopoaga

9 Dan Robson (c)

1 Zurabi Zhvania

2 Tommy Taylor

3 Kieran Brookes

4 James Gaskell

5 Will Rowlands

6 Brad Shields

7 Nizaam Carr

8 Sione Vailanu

Replacements 16 Tom Cruse, 17 Ben Harris, 18 Jeff Toomaga-Allen, 19 Thibaud Flament, 20 Ash Johnson, 21 Sam Wolstenholme, 22 Billy Searle, 23 Michael Le Bourgeois

Italy full-back Matteo Minozzi will make his Wasps debut against Bath Rugby at Ricoh Arena this weekend in Round 3 of the Gallagher Premiership, in the Club’s annual Remembrance match to recognise those past and present in the Armed Forces (kick-off 3pm).

The electric back recently returned from Rugby World Cup duty, where he scored two tries in three matches, and is handed a start at 15 in a pacey back-three that includes Zach Kibirige and Paolo Odogwu.

Odogwu will make his first Premiership appearance for Wasps as he deputises for Marcus Watson who has been granted special leave to go and support his brother Anthony at the Rugby World Cup Final in Japan.

Jimmy Gopperth recovers from a shoulder injury to be named at inside-centre alongside Malakai Fekitoa, while Dan Robson and Lima Sopoaga form the half-back partnership once again.

In the pack, lock Will Rowlands is set for his first appearance of the season after overcoming a calf injury to partner James Gaskell.

Zurabi Zhvania, Tommy Taylor and Kieran Brookes keep their places in the front-row with Brad Shields, Nizaam Carr and Sione Vailanu starting in the back-row.

Loosehead-prop Ben Harris could make his 50th appearance for the Club from the bench while Tom Cruse and Billy Searle are restored to the matchday 23, with Michael Le Bourgeois returning from a hip knock.

Wasps Director of Rugby Dai Young said: “I came into this season under no illusions. I know how tough it’s going to be and we’re going to have to scrap in every game for results and we’re no different to a lot of teams.

“Bath have a strong forward pack and ground out a fantastic win over Exeter Chiefs last weekend which is no mean feat. They have some talented individuals within their backline too so it’s going to be another massive challenge.

“The important thing is to get a win on the table as soon as we can and start building momentum.”
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Teams Up - Matteo Starts & Jimmy's Back at 12
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2019, 12:06:13 PM »
On paper that's a good team. Defence out wide, fragility of Gopperth and how we use Sopoaga still concerns going into this match.

Good to see Searle there too.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2019, 12:11:44 PM »
Bath team news
15. Freddie Burns
14. Semesa Rokoduguni
13. Max Wright
12. Jamie Roberts
11. Aled Brew
10. Rhys Priestland
9. Chris Cook

1. Lewis Boyce
2. Jack Walker
3. Will Stuart
4. Elliott Stooke
5. Charlie Ewels
6. Mike Williams
7. Josh Bayliss
8. Zach Mercer

Replacements

16. Tom Dunn
17. Beno Obano
18. Henry Thomas
19. Josh McNally
20. Tom Ellis
21. Ollie Fox
22. Alex Davies
23. Gabriel Hamer-Webb
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

FishingWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2019, 12:40:56 PM »
No Bertie? Injured or maybe Odogwu's power and/or stature felt better for this game?

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2019, 03:06:48 PM »
I'd have rather had Bassett covering Roku, who can be a handful. Burns at 15 is an interesting call, can be flaky or mercurial, am expecting a kicking game from the backfield with a few trademark chips over the top, hope Dan has his sweeping game down. Obviously thrilled to see Gopps back, should negate some of Roberts power threat.
Be good to see how we do against hot prospects Cash Money and Boyce in the front row. Bath have a big old pack..

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2019, 03:26:24 PM »
Be good to see how we do against hot prospects Cash Money and Boyce in the front row.

I am sure Zuzu and Kieran are looking forward to it.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 04:36:58 PM »
Well, on paper a good team for Wasps

International level front row and SR level backrow, test 9, 10,13,15 and Jimmy  - if we play like a team, we're definitely in the game, Matteo brings a real difference at FB.

Whilst Bath have some muscle - we ought to at least match them up front. If they get more than parity in possession then it could be long afternoon - Roko and Brew ain't a bad wing selection and I guess at 15, Burns will be used as second receiver.We know what Roberts brings, ditto Priestland and Cook. But they have been practising their territory and mauling in the Cup games, so we really do need to front up and not give them some easy territory and the leaders on the pitch need to speak up.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 04:45:12 PM »
I was reflecting on the performances since we moved to the Ricoh.

Early days we had some grunt plus Christian, so our colision success was probably over 50%. Christian provided the X factor to create tries from nothing. Hence we won more games than we lost.

Heading onwards from 15/16 to 16/17, we started to recruit additional backs with the wow factor - Charles, Kurtley, Danny, Willie coupled with Christian, Dan and Jimmy, Nathan and a certain G.Smith esq., we were a gnats from winning the GP. That team avoided the collisions and space opened up and we scored tries for fun.

The exodus then started and last year we were conceding more tries that we scored. We lost the collisions and did not have the players that created the spaces.

This season, in first two games there were some sparks of life, but errors meant that we lost both.

This week, we have probably the best back line out since 2017. I am looking forward to see how they play together tomorrow. If we get parity in the collisions then I fancy, that at last, we will see some sparkle outside.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 05:29:08 PM »
Great to see Jimmy back. I'm a bit worried about our wingers defensively. Kibirige's positioning has been off the mark so far and we now have an untried duo alongside in the back three (exciting though it is to get Minozzi in). Stooke and Ewels v Gaskell and Rowlands could be an issue. Excited to see how the combination of DR, LS, JG and MF goes - could be great.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2019, 05:30:21 PM »
Glad to see Rowlands back. He came on a lot last season - especially his try from halfway against Bristol. And he is a big guy.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2019, 05:37:39 PM »
Really hope Jimmy survives some mins in this game and desperate for it to be what Lima has needed the past 12 months. Kiwi 10-12-13 axis could prove to be the difference in this one.

Heavy duty 2nd row too should provide more than enough grunt up front.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2019, 07:19:50 AM »
I think we take them in the front row, 2nd row they have us back row I think we edge it. We are better in the centre better 9 & 10 better 15 but they are much better on the wings. Overall I believe we have the stronger team and at home. I expect a win today, especially as I will be there. Will be having a good chat with Willis after the game