Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Saracens docked 35 points  (Read 92628 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Saracens docked 35 points
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2019, 09:10:58 PM »
Surely the next RFU move is to charge them with bringing the game into disrepute.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2019, 10:11:09 PM »

So, if Sarries, have to release players with immediate effect.  Where would players go? France? Ireland? SH?

Not if they want to play for Eng

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2019, 10:15:23 PM »
Tony Rowe doesn't pull any punches

https://www.devonlive.com/sport/rugby/exeter-chiefs-saracens-tony-rowe-3504101

He makes the valid point about Sarries still operating the same squad and is therefore breaching the regulations again this season.

What I heard was, that they had to reduce this season's players wages by £900K.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2019, 10:55:59 PM »
Another reasonably high profile comment -
https://inews.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/saracens-points-deductions-trophies-harlequins-john-kingston-828640

He gets the inevitable "bloodgate" comments but as with Tony Rowe you can feel the anger at the EAs.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2019, 10:59:24 PM »
Again this makes interesting reading (picked up from the Bristol board) -
https://twitter.com/timoconnorbl/status/1191680940701110273

A legal view of the "appeal".
« Last Edit: November 05, 2019, 11:05:30 PM by Neils »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2019, 11:01:49 PM »
Yes I am trying to make myself tired!

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/a-master-of-the-reverse-pass-1324980.html

"At its peak the newsletter had an unequalled 95,000 subscribers, each paying up to pounds 60 a year. It was big money. Wray supplemented his income further by investing in shares tipped in the newsletter. This was in the days before the Financial Services Act."

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2019, 11:02:06 PM »

So, if Sarries, have to release players with immediate effect.  Where would players go? France? Ireland? SH?

Not if they want to play for Eng

That was what I was thinking too.  Eddie did say we would be seeing a different England team going forward. Maybe he knew something :D

In all seriousness, if a 900k saving is true. That is a lot of, expected, player finance to get wash your hands with. 

Can a player be registered with Sarries and just play in European games?

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2019, 11:12:24 PM »
Are Saracens and SISI linked? Neither of them seem to accept that they have done anything wrong. And both think it’s ok to appeal.
When they lose the appeal, they will have to closedown all the co-investment schemes. Don’t think the players can complain because they all know there’s a salary cap.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 06, 2019, 08:08:02 AM »
They had Kieran Bracken (I think, I didn't catch it) who was saying it was a harsh punishment for a technicality and it wasn't as if they had cheated like Quins had done in bloodgate! They don't get it do they?

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Rifleman Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 06, 2019, 08:21:24 AM »
David Conn in the Guardian has calculated that they are £1.78m over the cap, so if they do need to reduce by £900k it will just be a start.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2019, 08:23:01 AM »
There was a loophole, they exploited it for at least 3 years. It’s in the rules to notify the salary cap manager of any potential loopholes and Saracens did not, thereby making a mockery of the cap and threatening the integrity of our league.

Yes Wasps and Quins broke the cap due to admin errors that were basically going over the cap by one England credit due to injury/surprise non-selection, completely different ball park.

Rifleman Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 06, 2019, 08:24:41 AM »
There was a loophole, they exploited it for at least 3 years. It’s in the rules to notify the salary cap manager of any potential loopholes and Saracens did not, thereby making a mockery of the cap and threatening the integrity of our league.

Yes Wasps and Quins broke the cap due to admin errors that were basically going over the cap by one England credit due to injury/surprise non-selection, completely different ball park.
If you look at some of the players mentioned in the Guardian article then I would say it's been going on longer than they have been found guilty for.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 06, 2019, 08:34:57 AM »
They had Kieran Bracken (I think, I didn't catch it) who was saying it was a harsh punishment for a technicality and it wasn't as if they had cheated like Quins had done in bloodgate! They don't get it do they?

I was thinking about this viewpoint yesterday. I'll be very interested to see the first pre-match ramble by BT Sport presenters and ex-player pundits on Friday and Saturday.

I suspect the ex-players will be on the side of Sarries and especially the players. They will quote "short careers"... "maximising income".. "developed academy talent" "Sarries representing EPL in Europe".. "Sarries providing the backbone of England's squad" etc etc.. all true.. but its missing the bigger picture.

I still think the various club owners will want more to be done (I don't think Tony Rowe's sentiments will be isolated ones). £5m fine is a drop in the ocean for Wray and his various business partners. A 35 pt deduction won't see them relegated and there's a very good chance they will still make top 6 and perhaps even 4.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 06, 2019, 08:40:42 AM »

If you look at some of the players mentioned in the Guardian article then I would say it's been going on longer than they have been found guilty for.

Fully agree, the decision that only 3 years are an issue baffles me- their squad progression suggests that this systematic breaking of the salary cap has been happening a lot longer

Rifleman Harris

• View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 06, 2019, 08:43:04 AM »

Fully agree, the decision that only 3 years are an issue baffles me- their squad progression suggests that this systematic breaking of the salary cap has been happening a lot longer
Maybe the 3 years represents a period they have evidence for?