Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Saracens docked 35 points  (Read 92631 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Saracens docked 35 points
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2019, 11:09:12 AM »
Let me tell you something cucumber

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 06, 2019, 12:06:48 PM »
To the football focussed media, the amount over the wage cap probably sounds tiny. The entire cap is probably one decent player in football.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 06, 2019, 12:11:47 PM »
I can understand why they are closing the shutters and putting barracades up but when you're in a hole.. stop digging... and start shredding paperwork..

The horse has bolted so there's no point in closing the stable door now

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 06, 2019, 12:15:01 PM »
They don't do themselves any favours. Looks petulant.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/article-7655357/Saracens-face-punishment-no-Heineken-Champions-Cup-event.html

They should be punished with an immediate 10 point deduction  :), however that would favour Munster.... what a predicament

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 06, 2019, 12:17:52 PM »
Is Liam Williams a marquee player? if so him leaving doesn't make any difference. If not how the hell can they afford him

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 06, 2019, 12:37:26 PM »
Is Liam Williams a marquee player? if so him leaving doesn't make any difference. If not how the hell can they afford him

He's meant to be Marquee I believe. Though that means they need a new incoming foreign player to qualify for next seasons marquee.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 06, 2019, 02:54:56 PM »
Its ok saying they will have to off players. These players have binding contracts, you can't just cease them, they have an legal obligation. If i sign a 3 year contract for 500k, i'm wanting my 500K.
Regarding the calculations, I have seen an alternate one that puts the figure in excess of 2m based on the fine.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 06, 2019, 03:19:12 PM »
Its ok saying they will have to off players. These players have binding contracts, you can't just cease them, they have an legal obligation. If i sign a 3 year contract for 500k, i'm wanting my 500K.
Regarding the calculations, I have seen an alternate one that puts the figure in excess of 2m based on the fine.

I'm wondering if some of the players were asked to sign NDA's... but employment law usurps NDA's as one is criminal and one is civil.

No player will want to take a pay cut, so Sarries have a major problem

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 06, 2019, 03:23:48 PM »

2m a year?  I must admit I thought £600k was a little low - what's that a couple of players? Even if you took out a couple of their squad it would still be miles stronger than anyone else.

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 06, 2019, 04:08:43 PM »
You'd think that even Estate Agents would know they'd need planning permission before they embarked on such a contentious development.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 06, 2019, 04:27:04 PM »
Saracens do seem intent on lowering the image people now have of them claiming that they haven’t done anything wrong. Did Wray go ahead with his co-partnerships without seeking any legal opinion. He seems to be claiming that it was all above board.
For the players, they will have to accept pay reductions since they have now been found to be illegal.
Premiership Rugby seems to have made sure they had die high quality lawyers on the review board so they must have expected an appeal.
Interesting that some clubs have made critical comments about Saracens. I think I’m glad that Wasps haven’t joined in.   

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 06, 2019, 04:42:00 PM »
Wasps were fairly vocal last time so expect they have commented, in private, to PRL as other owners appear to have.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Marlovian

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 06, 2019, 04:57:03 PM »
Does anyone know the substance of the 2015 investigation? Did it involve co-investments such as Wolfpack Lager (founded 2014)? Is this where the defense of "PRL approved of this in the past" comes from?

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 06, 2019, 05:27:53 PM »
On a slightly lighter note, all credit to Paddy Power.....https://news.paddypower.com/rugby/2019/11/06/ed-woodward-revealed-as-man-behind-saracens-wage-bill/

Other perks for players include a jock strap carved from ivory, pitch-side drinks bottles filled with 1959 Dom Perignon champagne and season tickets for Old Trafford – although very few Saracens players have taken up this offer.

It was fine when I left it.....

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: November 06, 2019, 06:26:34 PM »
For the players, they will have to accept pay reductions since they have now been found to be illegal.
Premiership Rugby seems to have made sure they had die high quality lawyers on the review board so they must have expected an appeal.
Interesting that some clubs have made critical comments about Saracens. I think I’m glad that Wasps haven’t joined in.   
Saracens have been found guilty, not the players. It's up to Sarracens to deal with the issue. The contract between a player and a club has nothing to do with the PRL judgement in terms of responsibility.
I hope Wasps and all the clubs come out myself, a consolidated approach to this is what's required, not hiding behind someone else shaking your head.