Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Saracens docked 35 points  (Read 92669 times)

Fats

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Saracens docked 35 points
« Reply #105 on: November 06, 2019, 06:36:26 PM »
The players are guilty too. They knowingly entered into contracts with Saracens. Let’s not pussy around. People who went to speakeasies were knowingly breaking the law but chose to do it. Same with the players. They need to bear responsibility and any costs.

I noted in an article in the Torygraph that it was ED signing that might have tipped things over the edge.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 06, 2019, 06:39:30 PM »

2m a year?  I must admit I thought £600k was a little low - what's that a couple of players? Even if you took out a couple of their squad it would still be miles stronger than anyone else.
[/quote]
 The investigation showed that Sarries had infringed the Cap for all three of the seasons that were investigated and at £5.3M is therefore equivalent to approx £1,766,000 per year. The fine as set out in the Regs is £3 per £1 they overspent once the Club goes over a threshold of £350,000. So £1.766M divided by £3 plus the £350,000 indicates that Sarries went over the Cap by an average of £938,000 for each of the last three years.

I wonder if more has been found in this investigation..beyond the joint partnerships...in their 'administration/accounting' error.. nothing to substantiate it, just a gut feel.

Nopace

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: November 06, 2019, 07:48:31 PM »
Hands up whose been visiting lots of rugby forums today. More than a usual Wednesday.

Me

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 06, 2019, 07:58:24 PM »
If it is purely the "investments" and, maybe, they have been deemed to be "non-repayed loans" and so covered by the cap rules and so a breach, if they don't make any further "investments" perhaps they will fall back under the cap, pay the fine, suffer the points, and the recipients get to keep their dodgy dosh and then next season all is as before. The Sarries squad remains the same as there are not many better options for the players, and the behemoth that Wray has built rumbles on. The playing field might have been (apparently) levelled but it will take years for the other clubs to catch up.

That would be depressing.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 06, 2019, 08:06:44 PM »
If he intends to keep at legals if the appeal fails as he seems to be saying (video released) then the clubs have to consider what they do because they seem angry. Wray continuing will test their metal.
Let me tell you something cucumber

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 06, 2019, 08:09:56 PM »
Just seen the video message from Wray putting across his side.

He keeps talking about co-investments being outside the cap as they can go down, but if they are safe, low risk investments then you’re pretty much giving a player extra money on top of their wage.

In terms of what happens this year, I would presume all players are on a basic wage that has been declared to the salary cap manager and is technically within the cap. however if the co-investments are deemed to be part of the cap then they will have to stop them and that basic wage will look a bit measly to those players compared to what they thought they were getting and what they used to get. It’ll be like taking an enforced pay cut but legally would be fine as the investments aren’t part of their contracted salary.

Hope that makes sense

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: November 06, 2019, 08:14:49 PM »
The players are guilty too. They knowingly entered into contracts with Saracens. Let’s not pussy around. People who went to speakeasies were knowingly breaking the law but chose to do it. Same with the players. They need to bear responsibility and any costs.

I noted in an article in the Torygraph that it was ED signing that might have tipped things over the edge.
But Fats it matters not, the contract is between Saracens and the player, anything outside of that is irrelevant... The responsibility is wholey on the employer, he made the offer, he issued the contract, he is bound. You call it pussying around, I call it a legal contract...wonder what wins in court.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 06, 2019, 08:15:26 PM »
Watched that - he is a weasel. Actually that is hard on weasles! The twitter comments supporting him are beyond deluded.

See that Kingsholm looks to be heading for a sell out.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 06, 2019, 08:15:51 PM »
Hands up whose been visiting lots of rugby forums today. More than a usual Wednesday.

Me
Dude, sportsnetwork are rubbing their hands on this one

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 06, 2019, 08:25:03 PM »
Hope no Sarries players have joint investments in it

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 07, 2019, 12:36:49 AM »
And now they face a £50K fine for ducking the Champions Cup launch. Not that it will hurt them. It's just pocket money for Wray.

Very brief and intriguing extract from an article in The Guardian today:

"It is understood they will be deregistering players for Europe as they look to cut their squad to ensure they do not go over the cap this season."

Full article here:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/nov/06/exeter-director-saracens-stripped-rugby-union-premiership-titles
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: November 07, 2019, 04:54:23 AM »
Don't Sarries rent their ground from a council.. what must they be thinking now.. then you have Allianz.. who's name is associated with Sarries.. they must now be questioning that relationship...

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: November 07, 2019, 07:54:46 AM »
The relationship with the local authority is far more intertwined than that, in 2018 Barnet Council lent the EAs £23m to develop their new stand, repayable over 30 years - remains a controversial point from what I have read.

Interestingly they will also host the new Galacticos of Rugby League, Toronto Wolfpack for their fixture against St Helens in early 2020.
It was fine when I left it.....

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: November 07, 2019, 08:15:14 AM »
I see Wray is saying that a. They did nothing wrong and b. They don't have to and won't be dismantling their squad. Apparently they are under the cap now because the players love the environment so much. It was in the Independent (I think), if I can find a link I'll post it. 

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 07, 2019, 08:35:09 AM »
I see Wray is saying that a. They did nothing wrong and b. They don't have to and won't be dismantling their squad. Apparently they are under the cap now because the players love the environment so much. It was in the Independent (I think), if I can find a link I'll post it. 

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Getting close to the time where the other owners will have to put up or shut up and accept they are permanently second best.