Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Saracens docked 35 points  (Read 92657 times)

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Saracens docked 35 points
« Reply #210 on: November 10, 2019, 09:35:52 AM »
Won't be buying that paper again.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: November 10, 2019, 10:03:27 AM »
That's a shame, I used to like a dog walk, coffee and rugby paper on Sunday. Will have to join the others reading things on my phone instead, or maybe take a book!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: November 10, 2019, 10:25:35 AM »
I find the comments in TRP totally staggering. It's almost an EAs glee club. Don't upset the all conquering Sarries. Yea gods.

I then turned to the Sundsy Times and Stephen Jones is just as bad.

They are going to get away with this unless the other club owners grow some.
Let me tell you something cucumber

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: November 10, 2019, 11:07:46 AM »
I've not read the article but perhaps it was "written tongue in cheek"?

I think I mentioned it in a thread that I suspected the established rugby press will simply brush this off... they are reliant on keeping good relations with the top clubs.. PRL and the RFU to be able to write articles.

The story was broken by the DM but it wasn't by their main rugby correspondent Chris Foy who has steared well clear of it.. he knows what side his bread is buttered on.

What annoys me is the fact us fans have been questioning it for seasons and yet PRL didn't even think to dig deeper.. but that's the problem when the paying participant is part owner of the governing body..

In my mind.. Laura doesn't need to investigate any other clubs.. she needs to target PRL to see if there are any cosy relationships.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2019, 11:26:41 AM by BG »

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: November 10, 2019, 11:13:42 AM »
Good points BG

Its not like PRL and its people were unlikely to have had the odd thought along the lines "so how come the EA's can afford 7 or 8 of a Lions 23  in their team alongside a host of internationals"?

Fans have been dismissed as hating them for being good. Which is partly true, but its mainly because we didn't believe we were on a level playing field

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: November 10, 2019, 12:25:36 PM »
The one thing is for sure Saracens are superbly coached, I really don’t like them but I can’t stop admiring them for their coaching.

I would like to see what they could do with our players, pretty sure we wouldn’t be at the bottom

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: November 10, 2019, 02:49:25 PM »
I couldn't believe the way Stephen Jones has been defending Sarries - very much like the SISU mouthpiece in the Cov. Observer

Our Les' latest piece is about opposing the training facility https://coventryobserver.co.uk/news/wasps-training-ground-plan-for-henley-in-arden-hit-by-huge-opposition-from-clubs-and-community-petition-15775/

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: November 11, 2019, 12:48:14 PM »
Reported in the Observer:

"The Observer’s understanding is that the much-trumpeted joint ventures between Wray and his England stars, which have provoked such uproar, are not at issue. Some might not have been registered by Wray, for which the club have been fined and the man himself has apologised, but the practices themselves are legitimate in principle and do not contribute to Saracens’ alleged overspend."

"That reported overspend, reckoned to be in the region of £2m over three seasons, relates to previous dealings between club or third parties and players."

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2019/nov/10/saracens-plead-innocence-premiership-rugby-structure-on-trial

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: November 11, 2019, 01:43:37 PM »
"That reported overspend, reckoned to be in the region of £2m over three seasons, relates to previous dealings between club or third parties and players."

I'm wondering if its payments to agents then? Didn't Itoje's agent get banned for something? It might be a couple of season's ago?

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: November 11, 2019, 02:45:42 PM »
Its been publicised that Sarries don't use agent....
I said in another thread I smelt and additional rat..

From The Times on 7 Nov:
‘The independent panel’s ruling stated that Saracens, as well as exceeding the salary cap for three successive seasons, had “failed to disclose payments to players”. The details of those failures to reveal the full extent of their payments to players is yet to be revealed but evidence has been presented to investigators about the club’s use of image-rights payments to offshore accounts.,
« Last Edit: November 11, 2019, 03:43:17 PM by Hymenoptera »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: November 11, 2019, 03:59:05 PM »
Anyone watch the discussion on Rugby Tonight Live last night with Craig Doyle, Lol, Austin and Andy Goode? Goodey didn't hold back and they all smirked at the possibility of brown envelopes still being passed around.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 11, 2019, 07:38:21 PM »
Missed it. Found a clip but not the whole thing. If anyone finds a link to it, it will be gratefully received.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: November 11, 2019, 09:24:00 PM »
Looks like it's repeated at 10pm on BT Sport 2 this evening.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: November 11, 2019, 10:09:45 PM »
Got it. Thanks

WickedWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: November 13, 2019, 07:49:55 AM »
Jim Hamilton is a joke given his behaviour at Gloucester on Saturday and then on the rugby pod this week. Even Chris Ashton was not that painful when interviewed about the situation. Saracens PR machine is in overdrive and is clutching.