Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Saracens docked 35 points  (Read 92657 times)

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Saracens docked 35 points
« Reply #285 on: November 15, 2019, 11:58:12 AM »
I know Derek and some of the senior team at Wasps follow this forum, so they will know some of us are feeling this way. Is that enough?

I doubt it.

I do away games more than I do home games (yet to visit the Ricoh as it happens, but made an annual visit to AP and made it to Loftus Road), so I won't have the guilt associated with not adding my hard earned to our gate receipts, I totally get it that a lot of people would feel that way, but surely PRL would have to do something more drastic if they saw their product wasting away before their eyes?

I'm so disturbed by this whole scenario, that even watching the game on TV has lost much of its appeal.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: November 15, 2019, 12:05:59 PM »
I don't want to punish Wasps for the Sins of the Sarries. I do think a lot of noise should be made to counter the machine that is being revved up to counter the punishment (and a few pundits need to read the cap rules about the duty to declare potential loopholes). Hopefully the review will be quick, and the actual details of the judgement will be revealed, then the this phoney-war will be over.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: November 15, 2019, 12:16:20 PM »
I don't want to punish Wasps for the Sins of the Sarries. I do think a lot of noise should be made to counter the machine that is being revved up to counter the punishment (and a few pundits need to read the cap rules about the duty to declare potential loopholes). Hopefully the review will be quick, and the actual details of the judgement will be revealed, then the this phoney-war will be over.

I don't think they have actually appealed yet.  They have until Monday though.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: November 15, 2019, 12:25:26 PM »
I've had a quick look around other clubs' forums and the sentiments being mentioned here seem to be replicated with other club's supporters.

I just hope that the various clubs' managements keep tabs on these various forums and take onboard everyones concerns about the integrity and transparency of this league.. because fans will eventully stop handing over hard earned cash to watch 

What I still can't get my head around is the fact PRL didn't question Sarries squad before? Most supporters of other clubs questioned how they could assemble and more importantly keep the almost international squad. I get the feeling that PRL hoped that no-one would raise awkward questions and have been forced to go through this investigation with gritted teeth.

Corporate sponsors tend not to like being associated with dubious sporting practises (unless you're Nike), malpractise etc so it will be interesting to see what happens going forward.

I stilll think they've got off very lightly.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: November 15, 2019, 12:42:46 PM »
Very few regular EA fans popping up on the Guardian where I also post- people who have been so proud of their team.....

However - if they are allowed to play PRem games with a squad built up by cheating - then they have basically got off

Post xmas, teams might be facing the EA's with potentially 9 players you'd expect in a Lions 23, Goode, the best FB in the Prem plus a host of other internationals.

I think the other clubs need to get a common approach to this matter and press Prem Rugby. Otherwise, what's the point?

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: November 15, 2019, 01:04:31 PM »
What happens if a team refuses to play Sarries? Would Sarries be awarded a full 5 points?

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: November 15, 2019, 01:52:04 PM »
I am a season ticket holder so club not missing out much by me not going, but to cover spend at the game one option for me would be to buy merchandise, or another would be to go but stay in the bar and not watch.

Mikeuk56

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: November 15, 2019, 02:19:04 PM »
EA have soured the whole of this season for supporters of every other club whatever happens at the review.
To me the big question for all supporters at Wasps and all the other clubs is how do you express that disgust at what the EA have done and the way they have acted while not penalising our own clubs

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: November 15, 2019, 02:58:38 PM »
What happens if a team refuses to play Sarries? Would Sarries be awarded a full 5 points?
This is interesting to me. Yes, they would get 5 points but would it matter, the whole season as a farce for the 'champions' but having not played a game all season, supporters not once having watched their team play (outside of Europe), no televised games, sponsorship, England selection impacted, players playing for a team that never takes to the field....etc.
All while the other 11 teams engage in a league as usual with supporters ignoring the table in favor a reality table. There would be a major reaction from PRL, BT, RFU etc...
I'd love to see this..

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: November 15, 2019, 03:01:10 PM »
IMO, if Wasps results pick up and we have a steady improvement, or even better really hit the straps and start doing really well, that will outweigh anything that Sarries have done. Yes, if the Sarries situation is not dealt with then there are serious implications, but most of all I want Wasps to be the best that they can be and to have the most support they can get.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: November 15, 2019, 03:27:48 PM »
This is interesting to me. Yes, they would get 5 points but would it matter, the whole season as a farce for the 'champions' but having not played a game all season, supporters not once having watched their team play (outside of Europe), no televised games, sponsorship, England selection impacted, players playing for a team that never takes to the field....etc.
All while the other 11 teams engage in a league as usual with supporters ignoring the table in favor a reality table. There would be a major reaction from PRL, BT, RFU etc...
I'd love to see this..

I would think any club refusing to play against Sarries would be breaking the PRL/Club contract and would suffer as a result.

Whatever the clubs come up with they need to do it as a single entity else PRL are going to bat it away through the covers.

Essentially though.. PRL are the 13 clubs so if 11/12 all want some addressing etc then the PRL board will be hard pushed to ignore them.

I did read that the organisers of the Euro Cup are already on alert after McCall implied they would simply target the league.. Apparently purposely playing weakened teams isn't permitted outside of "reasonably expected rotation/injuries"..

How that is monitored though can't be easy though

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: November 15, 2019, 03:37:01 PM »
I'd love to see this..

I would think any club refusing to play against Sarries would be breaking the PRL/Club contract and would suffer as a result.
Suffer what though, would it be more or less than the indignity of playing a team that got away with cheating..if all the teams did it, good luck to PRL and their contract

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: November 15, 2019, 04:12:41 PM »
EA fan on Guardian suggesting "its not clear" what the breech was and that "co investments were not the problem"

Do we have definitive version of the reason's yet (I may have missed it)

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 15, 2019, 05:12:10 PM »
According to the PRL statement, the Asterisks failed to report certain payments to the Cap Manager at PRL AND breached the salary cap in each of the last 3 years. Brian Moore suggests that image rights payments were made to offshore bank accounts AND were not declared. What are the so-called "co-investments" (there are other and better descriptions than that) are not specifically mentioned in the PRL statement.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 15, 2019, 05:42:41 PM »
IMO, if Wasps results pick up and we have a steady improvement, or even better really hit the straps and start doing really well, that will outweigh anything that Sarries have done. Yes, if the Sarries situation is not dealt with then there are serious implications, but most of all I want Wasps to be the best that they can be and to have the most support they can get.
+1, I have resigned myself to the fact that the EAs may get a reduced penalty, if not then they have adequate firepower to still not be dragged into the relegation quagmire. I just want Wasps to turn a corner and not worry about what other teams are doing.
It was fine when I left it.....