Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Saracens docked 35 points  (Read 92656 times)

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Saracens docked 35 points
« Reply #345 on: November 18, 2019, 12:59:16 PM »
2.3 in the rules cover the duty to report:

"any potential or actual loopholes, lacunae or errors in the Regulations"

I presume he was so involved in attempting to do the right thing by his wonderful club "family" and rugby as a whole, that he forgot to check the page numbers an missed the page with this on.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 18, 2019, 01:04:08 PM »
I gather they (Saracens and PRL if I get the reporting correct) have confirmed that they are now within the cap...which is impressive seeing as the added several high profile players since last season.  Riiiiight, of course they are.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 18, 2019, 01:11:01 PM »
"A director will be appointed to the board to oversee a new governance regime, designed to prevent the club breaching salary cap rules again."

Or to put it another way, to ensure that anything over the cap is better concealed in future.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 18, 2019, 01:25:35 PM »
"A director will be appointed to the board to oversee a new governance regime, designed to prevent the club breaching salary cap rules again."

Or to put it another way, to ensure that anything over the cap is better concealed in future.

A month after a director responsible for this left!  Hmmm.
Let me tell you something cucumber

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 18, 2019, 01:30:34 PM »
Did I miss this part happening, as they suck up the punishment....?

'Wray said the club "made mistakes" and accepted the penalties "with humility".'

Not sure I have seen humility ever being shown, I don't believe he does humble?

It was fine when I left it.....

Mikeuk56

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 18, 2019, 01:34:28 PM »
He wasn't very humble then the punishment was first announced!!!

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 18, 2019, 01:40:42 PM »
Sounds as if the report will never see the light of day, conveniently this protects the PRL from being exposed as not being up to it having failed to spot "the bl%%%%%g obvious" for several years.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 18, 2019, 02:05:13 PM »
Sounds as if the report will never see the light of day, conveniently this protects the PRL from being exposed as not being up to it having failed to spot "the bl%%%%%g obvious" for several years.

Exactly what I've been thinking..

But who gets to review PRL?

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 18, 2019, 02:12:23 PM »
They should appoint an external adjudicator to chair a committee to see that all is above board, maybe someone of high standing from another sport, how about Harry Redknapp?

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 18, 2019, 02:13:59 PM »
And the lack of publication is already being used by EA supporters to muddy the waters as if nothing really bad had been done. Alongside the meme of "lets just get on with it" as if that's everything closed off

As noted above, steroid use will have benefits long after stopping. And unless the EAs have to restructure their squad, they benefit from cheating

Its not - as stated by fans - "brave" to carry on in the face of criticism, especially if that criticism is valid. And it is

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 18, 2019, 02:24:26 PM »
In other news Vlad the Impaler would like to put some unfortunate mis-understandings involving the use of sticks behind him....

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: November 18, 2019, 02:34:23 PM »
The whole thing is total bullshit. PRL really have no teeth and have no desire to gain any. The EAs will continue as previously ignoring all and breaking new rules as Wray sees fit. Their meeting on Wednesday will probably be to advise those whose finances have been compromised how it will be made good (how many of your relatives wish to be employed?). What really astounds me is the silence from the other owners/boards.

This has completely devalued the Premiership AND the Heineken. I know Europe has said that the EAs have not cheated THEIR competition BUT they cheated to get in and seeded three seasons running. Whole lot stinks and will happen again but we will probably not learn about it unless some young journalist picks something up and runs with it.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 18, 2019, 02:43:08 PM »
Saracens schedule crisis talks with players and staff as they prepare to drop appeal against fine and points penalty

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union/2019/11/17/saracens-schedule-crisis-talks-players-staff-prepare-drop-appeal/

Saracens’ players and staff have arranged a crisis summit with the club expected to abandon plans to demand a review over their £5.4 million fine and 35-point penalty for salary-cap breaches.

The deadline with authorities for requesting any appeal is on Monday and, while the club remain staunch in their belief that the sanctions are “heavy-handed”, staff are said to be increasingly anxious to draw a line under the saga.

Director of rugby Mark McCall said the appeal decision was a matter for the club’s board on Sunday night, but he confirmed that he and the team would meet to discuss “where we go from here” on Wednesday.

If, as expected, the punishment is enforced without protest on Monday, the back-to-back title winners and European champions will face renewed scrutiny to prove they have rebalanced the books to fall within this season’s salary limits.

Saracens sent their first tranche of financial documents to auditors before the season kicked off, The Telegraph understands, but chairman Nigel Wray still has “active” investments with at least one of the players involved, according to Companies House.

There are 16 categories of expenditure in which the club can make savings now to fall within the salary-cap rules. The club are most likely to abandon the investments rather than dramatically trim the squad. Shortly after the punishments were announced, Wray said players would not have to be sold.

However, the scandal is said to have had a devastating impact on squad morale, and players and staff will gather this week to thrash out how they plan to avoid relegation from -22 points.

An under-strength line-up was torn apart 30-10 by Racing 92 in the European Champions Cup on Sunday, but England stars including Owen Farrell, Maro Itoje, Billy and Mako Vunipola – whose co-investment partnerships with Wray are at the heart of the scandal – are due to return for the away Premiership match against Bath. “They want to come back, they want to play, they want to help their team,” said McCall. “This team has been together a long time, the relationships between the players and the staff are strong. We all care about it. Of course, we are all bothered by it.

“On Wednesday we will have our first proper conversation about where we go from here.”

Saracens’ apparent U-turn is a surprise to some after Wray described the punishment on Nov 5 as “absolutely devastating”.

McCall, who says he wishes the full judgment would come out, refused to comment on claims Saracens had already decided to abandon any review, adding: “I probably know what we’re going to do but I’m not going to tell you. It’s not my decision to make. I’m getting on with trying to get the best out of this group of players. It’s a legal, technical decision whether you appeal or not. You’ve got to have grounds. I’ll leave that to people much cleverer than me.”

Premiership Rugby’s investigations were thought to have centred around Wray’s involvements in companies such as VunProp Ltd (the Vunipola brothers), Faz Investments Ltd (Farrell), Wiggy9 Ltd (Richard Wigglesworth) and MN Property Solutions Ltd (Itoje).

While the appeals process expired, the sanctions were initially suspended. The points penalty will come into immediate effect when Saracens confirm the decision, but Premiership Rugby is likely to allow more time to pay the fine.

Saracens, third in the standings on 13 points, a point behind leaders Bristol, will sit on -22 points, 26 adrift of bottom club Leicester.

An independent panel found the club had not disclosed payments to players in each of the 2016-17, 2017-18 and 2018-19 seasons, and had also exceeded the ceiling for payments to senior players.

The expected about-turn over an appeal is said to have been fuelled by a desire to help McCall plan for the season. With the deduction enforced, he will continue to sacrifice team selection in Europe to ensure the club has a chance to stay afloat.

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 18, 2019, 03:03:58 PM »
Saracens accept 35 point deduction.

Plans to ring-fence the Premiership to commence in 3...2..1..

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 18, 2019, 03:05:12 PM »
Thanks for that

However, if no players are removed from the squad....it just ends up being an embarrassment rather than providing for a level playing field