Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Latest financial statement from the club.  (Read 7287 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Latest financial statement from the club.
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2019, 10:00:01 AM »
From the article

"Vaughan has pushed through a new playing surface at the Ricoh Arena"

Eh? I thought the hybrid was installed the summer after Wasps moved to the Ricoh, or has something else been changed?

We had a new surface after the monster truck rally.

Wonder if we're using the same plastic carpet, just with a new lot of grass growing on top? Maybe a different species.

Whatever they installed it keeps coming up in squares! Surprised to see Dan Baugh run on to replace them.
Let me tell you something cucumber

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2019, 10:05:52 AM »
From the article

"Vaughan has pushed through a new playing surface at the Ricoh Arena"

Eh? I thought the hybrid was installed the summer after Wasps moved to the Ricoh, or has something else been changed?

We had a new surface after the monster truck rally.

Wonder if we're using the same plastic carpet, just with a new lot of grass growing on top? Maybe a different species.

Ripping up the plastic underweave would have cost a lot so you're probably correct.. they've probably sourced a different grass (Vaughan was probably in charge when Glos installed their hybrid), which grows better with less direct sunlight and heat. The stadium can act as a cold heat-sink.

I've only been to one game this season but has the grass been left to grow a bit longer since CCFC have vacated?

Beckenham Bandit

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2019, 11:17:29 AM »
Interesting is one word.  Two posters are from SBT... They are not great figures in any sense and I hope there is a plan to limit costs. 

The picture that Kent paints of a quaint ground, owned by Wasps in West London is amazing. However it is also very improbable and the truth is that we were in a bad situation in HW, gambled on a move to Coventry with the Ricoh and that is proving more difficult than hoped.  The antics of SISU have made the road more difficult but I don't see that the problems are unsurmountable.

The notion that Wasps RFC could have found an owner occupier ground in or near West London is fanciful. Back in 2014 Wasps RFC were faced with only 3 credible choices. 1. Move to Coventry and survive as a Premiership club. 2. A managed decline to semi pro status in National 1 and remerge with Wasps FC at Tywford Avenue. 3. Wasps RFC ceasing to exist. With the Wasps FC 1st XV having to be promoted through the leagues like Richmond and London Scottish have been. The highest level of rugby Twyford Avenue could ever hope to support would be National 1.

If it all goes t*ts up financially for Wasps RFC in Coventry I wouldn't be surprised if they were merged into a London Irish team playing in Brentford.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 11:20:12 AM by Beckenham Bandit »

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2019, 12:24:37 PM »
The grass has been left to be longer, but in every game huge squares of it lift up like carpet tiles in an office, and somebody runs on, drags it back in to place and jumps up and down on it.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2019, 12:43:11 PM »
The grass has been left to be longer, but in every game huge squares of it lift up like carpet tiles in an office, and somebody runs on, drags it back in to place and jumps up and down on it.

They obviously have not used the plastic pins that I used to secure my artificial lawn!

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2019, 01:36:50 PM »

They obviously have not used the plastic pins that I used to secure my artificial lawn!

Is that a euphemism?

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2019, 01:49:39 PM »
We are drifting off topic a bit...but didn't the Millennium Stadium have a similar problem at the outset.  Their pitch was a little different being shipped in for each match, but maybe there are similar underlying issues?

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2019, 01:51:08 PM »

Brings back memories of the Millennium (now Principality) Stadium when it was first built.

When Wasps first moved to Adams Park the pitch was relaid using the Desso system, which lasted well over 10 years before it started to deteriorate over the last couple of years Wasps were there.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2019, 02:44:39 PM »
Kent on DW is the self proclaimed financial doom director of Wasps and doesn't sleep in the weeks build up to the release dates of Wasps accounts through the sheer excitement of having center stage to rip the club apart with his financial nous and resolutions a many.
I trust the money men have a plan, that's why they are there and we are supporters, let them do their job and let us support the team.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2019, 02:51:40 PM »
Was also heartened by Vaughan's interview giving a more positive outlook. He must have asked serious questions before signing up from the Shed.

Dgwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2019, 03:08:01 PM »
I think those questioning the identity of the club as a business or a rugby club have a point.  As do those who feel the rugby side of things needs to create an improved culture to help player retention. 

However, both of these have already been identified by the club as issues and I see the assignment of Vaughan as something to help turn that around as well as cut unnecessary losses from the rugby/sporting side of the club.  Vaughan comes across really well in his interview and I'm nervous, yet happy to see what improvements he can bring in.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2019, 03:35:56 PM »
The common situation of people wanting the cake and eating it.
If you maintain a sugar daddy to keep yourself in existence then your very much only a club. If you have aspirations of being self sufficient unreliant on charity, then your a club within a business.
As for this statement "As do those who feel the rugby side of things needs to create an improved culture to help player retention." Our 'retention issues' have been players going elsewhere for wads of cash, love lives or our decision. Given the amount of signs and resigns, to call this an issue is just a soundbite ignoring the facts.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2019, 08:14:10 PM »
I’m comfortable with where the club is at atm. Like going to bed before an exam but knowing you’ve done all the preparation you can do- nervous but it won’t keep me up at night.

In terms of playing culture, squad retention- Dai has said these next couple of years is where that really happens as the squad goes through a rebuild, we have a new training ground (touch wood) for next season, we promoted 10 (or 11?) from the academy over the summer and have more and more players committing to longer term contracts.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2019, 08:21:57 PM »
I think they underestimated the time it would take to get on top of the move especially with the big unknown they encountered in SISU. Over a million in legal fees is a big dent early on too.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2019, 08:43:41 PM »
Kent on DW is the self proclaimed financial doom director of Wasps and doesn't sleep in the weeks build up to the release dates of Wasps accounts through the sheer excitement of having center stage to rip the club apart with his financial nous and resolutions a many.
I trust the money men have a plan, that's why they are there and we are supporters, let them do their job and let us support the team.
Agree with this. With financials I prefer to look at actions rather than accounts. We're developing a training ground in an area of the country where land isn't cheap. We've appointed senior people in well paid jobs and there is still talk of a hotel being built opposite the Ricoh. These don't speak of money issues. I think the accounting term is substance over form.