Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Bon Matin Tout Le Monde!  (Read 10612 times)

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Bon Matin Tout Le Monde!
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2019, 10:43:22 PM »
Obviously disappointing we lost. But we didn't get massacred against a team in excellent form, so that's pretty good to see.

Again hopefully we use this to continue improving.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2019, 10:48:07 PM »
I see so many positives and we scored a few points. We CAN do it, but still too many brain farts. Penalty count was way down (both sides roughly equal about 6 or 7 each). Rowlands, I think, had about half ours, but nothing too bad.

Searle's out of hand kicking was, at times, woeful, but at times fantastic.

Booj had a massive game in defence and attack. THAT was the Booj I saw so much in the A Team last year. Willis was superhuman.

We are utterly and totally woeful in the air; Watson and Searle especially. You sometimes wonder if they were ever shown how to catch a ball.

Lineout was as poor as it usually is. Without Gaskell we will struggle. Tibo would have been a better choice, as he has the height and jumps well.

Our backs remain our weak point, at 10/12/13. Nothing we don't already know.

I thought Wolstenholme was far better than Dobby. Kicking that ball away with less than 2 minutes to go on the clock was one of the expected total lack of on field thinking/game management I expect from Wasps.

Bassett was slow and laborious.

I can see the heads dropping, but it isn't THAT bad. We can improve with time. The quality is there, but needs a lot of tuning.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2019, 10:49:51 PM by NellyWellyWaspy »

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2019, 08:08:41 AM »
For me I think the throwing into our line outs are way to low, I could be wrong but that’s what is looked like to me.

I also thought Cruise kept running ahead of our defensive line and making dog legs, he wasn’t the only one but he seem to do it more often. That for me is really bad coaching, surely everyone knows ‘the arsenal’.

What the hell is wrong with Bassett, he really has dropped off, Watson is not good enough. Wingers is a must for us for next season.

For me we have some really great players, mainly in the pack but our backs is most probably the worst in the league

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2019, 10:05:42 AM »
Well - the morning after.....my glass is more like half full again. A basically scratch team managed to keep up with one of France's form sides in a game that we could have easily won. Especially if we could have secured our own lineout ball...esp at 61 mins. Lots of positives, but the main one being the collective effort.

Launch looked like a man who just wanted a game after holding tackle bags for months and the Willis Bros were superb. Ashley looked keen to be out on the pitch and the front rows went well.

SH excellent, Searle needs some kicking guidance when looking to put ball to air for competition and Mike Le didn't look out of place and put in a good tackling effort.

If we can use these fixtures to forge the team effort required, it will be a v useful campaign.

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2019, 10:20:07 AM »
Only one mention for Owlett? I thought he was magnificent. Cracking performance from him in what was only his second (?) start for us.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2019, 11:05:19 AM »
Only one mention for Owlett? I thought he was magnificent. Cracking performance from him in what was only his second (?) start for us.

+1

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2019, 11:23:17 AM »
St Bruno you are spot on, unfortunately the way we lost the game made me forget that, thanks for the reminder

Chilham

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2019, 11:46:52 AM »
Impressive debut for Owlett.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2019, 12:14:36 PM »
Thought that was a really encouraging display for the most part. Front row went well and Owlett looked very good. Great to have JL back. Rowlands us progressing but I'd like to see him trim his pen count. Back row was great - J Willis immense. Unfair to criticise the wingers. It was never going to be a game for them. Also thought Wolstenholme looked good. Again we come away with nothing points wise but plenty of positives nonetheless.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2019, 01:59:42 PM »
For me I think the throwing into our line outs are way to low, I could be wrong but that’s what is looked like to me.

I also thought Cruise kept running ahead of our defensive line and making dog legs, he wasn’t the only one but he seem to do it more often. That for me is really bad coaching, surely everyone knows ‘the arsenal’.

What the hell is wrong with Bassett, he really has dropped off, Watson is not good enough. Wingers is a must for us for next season.

For me we have some really great players, mainly in the pack but our backs is most probably the worst in the league
Bit unfair to call Watson out, he saw the ball about 3 times total in zero space...fairs fair.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2019, 02:05:01 PM »

Agreed. I too, thought he had an excellent game.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2019, 02:13:33 PM »
Set piece good.

Lineout has to be addressed this has been an ongoing issue. What do we lose if we select Flament?

Breakdown good - JW on another planet,

Wolstenhome showing maturity above his years.

Fekitoa looked more like the player that we expected to see when he signed. Some work needed on his defence.

Josh has not really sparked this season.

Overall if can build on the first 35 mins of the second half, we should be OK. I would be half tempted to start Wolstenholme and Owlett again next week.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2019, 02:27:17 PM »
Set piece good.

Lineout has to be addressed this has been an ongoing issue. What do we lose if we select Flament?

Breakdown good - JW on another planet,

Wolstenhome showing maturity above his years.

Fekitoa looked more like the player that we expected to see when he signed. Some work needed on his defence.

Josh has not really sparked this season.

Overall if can build on the first 35 mins of the second half, we should be OK. I would be half tempted to start Wolstenholme and Owlett again next week.

Agree John. I would bring on Tibo and Umaga. The rest I would leave as was. Robson needs some rest off that leg he has strapped (or had) up.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2019, 03:20:40 PM »
Is Porter back soon? He has more pace and eye for a gap than Wolstenhome but the rest of Wolstenhome's game was excellent.

NB He needs a nickname as typing his full name is a pain.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2019, 03:35:42 PM »
Is Porter back soon? He has more pace and eye for a gap than Wolstenhome but the rest of Wolstenhome's game was excellent.

NB He needs a nickname as typing his full name is a pain.

His twitter name is Wusty, seems a fair nickname- definitely feel comfortable at SH considering we’re without our second choice most the year with the ever impressive Porter and Wusty looking a real find