Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Launchbury Signs New Wasps Contract  (Read 6377 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Launchbury Signs New Wasps Contract
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2019, 05:54:58 PM »
This is great news. JL is world class. Is it me or do things really start to be coming together for us. If we can get Willis on a 25 year deal now that would really top it off!

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2019, 11:39:16 PM »
This is huge news, I too had fears he might be off this year after already showing his loyalty a few years ago.
A true club legend and now the only older academy graduate at the club (apart from Rowlands, whose rise took a different path)

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2019, 09:06:37 AM »
DGP Wasp,

Because Cips famously was difficult during 2017-18 with regards to re-signing for the following season. Dai spoke openly about wanting Cips. Difficult situation for everyone, but Cips made it difficult for us in the first place.

And he went to the donkeys for about half of what he was on. Only got a big uplift this season.

He went for so little because he left it to the very last minute. Dai wasn't willing to wait until the end of the season to find out if he still had a 1st choice fly half.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2019, 09:19:53 AM »
That's what I understood to have happened Raggs and when he re-signed, he did so for a more realistic market value.

Slightly off topic but Garratt retired due to ongoing injury woes and Neale has also now left, both of whom would have been part of this seasons salary cap calculations.

Does that mean Dai has a bit of money to play with for the rest of the season (a temp signing a bit like Nemo the previous season) and if so, should he or should he simply stick with and develop what we currently have?

We've got a fairly big squad so do we need to get anyone in to fill the gap of Neale leaving or trying to fill our perceived weak position of 12 (bearing in mind Flament has seemingly filled Garratt's place) ?

« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 09:53:41 AM by BG »

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2019, 09:38:49 AM »
We may need to reassess our cap allowances too though, since we no longer have Daly and Launch + Shields may no longer qualify for international credits.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2019, 10:15:38 AM »
Dai and the management would have known about Daly long before this season's Salary cap calculations (guesstimations) would have been made (it seems Daly know about that even longer before that!).

Launch and Brad will still be in the EPS up to 1st Jan (I think) after which the new 45 man EPS is announced but I can't see them been dropped from that.

Not being used as much though means they won't be getting the full £80k credit but perhaps between £10k - £20k.

Its the same with Hughes at Bristol. He's most likely still in the the EPS and Bristol are receiving EPS credits just not the full amount.

Any club banking on receiving full EPS credits for the up and comin season must be a bit daft. I think that's what caught Wasps out the season before last when we went £40k over (or something like that)

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2019, 02:11:06 PM »
Interesting that when a player, or a coach leaves the club, it's Dai Young's fault, but when one of our best players agrees to re-sign the coaching team don't get a mention.......

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2019, 07:14:12 PM »
What's also interesting is that we don't usually announce re-signings this early in the season. Getting it out of the way before someone else comes sniffing?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2019, 07:35:37 PM »
As I said in a post recently, it is now that Dai offers contracts. Shows how quickly Joe said yes. Emphatic I would call it. Let's hope for more of the same over the coming days. Not sure who is due for renewal at the year end? Jimmy I think. Not sure of others.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2019, 07:58:41 PM »
Nelly, I have a hunch Jack Willis is up for negotiations. Could be wrong, but we desperately need to keep him if that's the case.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2019, 08:57:50 PM »
Nelly, I have a hunch Jack Willis is up for negotiations. Could be wrong, but we desperately need to keep him if that's the case.

Jack re-signed in Feb 2018 probably for the start of the next season. Wasps never state how long but seem to have 2/3 year deals which suggests not this season. However any extension would be welcome.  Rowland was at the same time.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2019, 09:01:04 PM »
Agreed HDAWG. I'd prioritise him over anyone else, closely followed by Young. It's scary how good he is. If we have some spare cash coming out of the Neal situation I'd throw it all and more at Willis.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2019, 09:06:02 PM »
Shugs,

Completely forgot about Young! He is definitely out of contract and we need him to stay.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2019, 10:10:26 PM »
Shugs,

Completely forgot about Young! He is definitely out of contract and we need him to stay.

Given his recent injury woes, YY will find it hard to get a decent contract at any club, should he even want to leave, and will almost certainly have waved goodbye to a Wales selection. At best he will be offered the same money, or less. Hard world.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2019, 08:09:36 AM »
Shugs,

Given his recent injury woes, YY will find it hard to get a decent contract at any club, should he even want to leave, and will almost certainly have waved goodbye to a Wales selection. At best he will be offered the same money, or less. Hard world.

So, Saracens then :)