Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Injury updates: Joe, Brad, Thomas Young, Jack Willis,Sione Vailanu  (Read 2644 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 11:21:04 AM by Rossm »
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Injury updates: Joe, Brad, Thomas Young, Jack Willis,Sione Vailanu
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 11:32:13 AM »
I think the issue is, that once you get down to two fit front rows (of any position), or 3 second rows, etc, then as the injured one gets fit, another gets injured, leaving you always playing catchup.

Our problem is that we started the year (as we often seem to) with a few players who were possibly going to have to or want to retire or move whilst still in contract.

That has left us weak in the front row, back row, centre and wing. Any injury in those positions and we are struggling. We did have a bigger squad this year (was it 47 or 48?) but there wasn't as much quality in that and certainly not the quality in depth that was needed. Multiple injuries at scrum half have caused us a lot of problems.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 11:49:10 AM »
Multiple injuries at scrum half have caused us a lot of problems.

Indeed. As have injuries to the 2nd row. It's no good having a strong front row if the locks don't have enough grunt behind them.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

WickedWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 05:07:21 PM »
I think the issue is, that once you get down to two fit front rows (of any position), or 3 second rows, etc, then as the injured one gets fit, another gets injured, leaving you always playing catchup.

Our problem is that we started the year (as we often seem to) with a few players who were possibly going to have to or want to retire or move whilst still in contract.

That has left us weak in the front row, back row, centre and wing. Any injury in those positions and we are struggling. We did have a bigger squad this year (was it 47 or 48?) but there wasn't as much quality in that and certainly not the quality in depth that was needed. Multiple injuries at scrum half have caused us a lot of problems.

I agree with this. I have been thinking a lot about what is causing us to have such a high number of injuries constantly. The one point I kept thinking about was either we are unable to rotate because of injury or players returning too soon after injury because we are short of players and so on. It seems like we are caught in a tough cycle.

In recent years how often have we not had an injury issue in some position. I know teams rarely get to field a first choice 15. But just thinking of Tommy Taylor, bigmac, matt mullan. Top quality players who have pretty much been unavailable since the prem final except for a few minutes here and there maybe. I think this then has the knock on effect to good players looking average and coming under pressure. Too often people are having to play with new combinations etc. It be interesting if we could compare stats on our 9/10/12/13 combinations to some other teams.

We need to find consistency on selection but for this we need a break on the injury front.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 06:11:45 PM »
I think we have alot of injuries because we have a core of fragile players. Big Mac and TT regularly concussed on top of regular injuries, Gaskell manages 2 on, 10 off, Haskell was always toe'd up, add those to the ACL/MCL's and other ones that are just unlucky. They are always long term, never short term.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 10:51:26 AM »
Dai: "It's a challenge. Three games in 16 days..."

Err... Hang on.  That's just a game each weekend.  Nothing remarkable about that.  It's a challenge because of injuries I know, but the article does try and suggest that 3 games in 16 days is particularly grueling and the demanding Christmas schedule is compounding the injury issues.

He should have a chat with Jurgen Klopp!

NorthYorksWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 11:22:11 AM »
Yes but Mr Klopp doesn’t have his squad of however many being physical battered for an 80 minute match 3 times in 16 days! Broken nails and bad hair doesn’t qualify on the same level IMHO.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2019, 11:48:57 AM »
Often comments here about whether we have a worse injury history than other clubs. I suspect that they are more or less like us with a number of players out injured. But none of us are willing to spend the time looking at other clubs' supporters web site. Very difficult to come up with any definite views.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2019, 12:08:59 PM »
Yes but Mr Klopp doesn’t have his squad of however many being physical battered for an 80 minute match 3 times in 16 days! Broken nails and bad hair doesn’t qualify on the same level IMHO.

Agree 100%, but my point was that 3 games in 16 days is completely normal and is being presented in this article as something extraordinary.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2019, 08:29:10 PM »
Lo and behold our s and c coach is off.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2019, 08:00:57 AM »
Surely just a coincidence... hmmm...

I'm sure he won't have had his contract terminated but did wasps not offer to renew it or did he make his own mind up and chose to find employment somewhere else