Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match thread?  (Read 11761 times)

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Re: Match thread?
« Reply #60 on: December 15, 2019, 11:26:59 PM »
No it was later than that - 2004
It was an away match against Leeds.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2019, 05:00:42 PM »
Interesting discussion with some Edinburgh supporters today. The main question from all three was "why are your players so unfit?". They said in comparison to Pro 14 clubs ours looked tired. In fact one said some looked fat!
Let me tell you something cucumber

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 16, 2019, 06:18:59 PM »
Sounds like poking to me, Ash aside, no one is fat and i'm not sure they outputted less than the sweaties all said and done.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 18, 2019, 07:48:03 AM »
I don't think you have to fat to be unfit or vice versa. I was at the game and it was noticeable that we quite often we ran out of available players away from the ruck or maul by the 2nd or 3rd phase (or players completely out of position).. and it was noticeable a few players were blowing by halftime.

Maybe that's beause were were defending more than Edinburgh. Its sounds obvious but fitness is a massive part of the game because it determines how effective the ruck after the tackle is (i.e. supporting players), players getting back into defensive position (i.e. falling off tackles) or supporting breaks made.

Saracens wouldn't be able to employ their blitz defence all game if they weren't surpremely fit..  a scuffle broke out during the Sarries v Munster game when a coach called Jamie George a fat *£$%... would he be a british lion if he was unfit.

Maybe Sarries take different vitamins to the rest of the EPL club players.

Coincidently Dan Baugh is leaving at the end of the season. I knew nothing of his background but apparently he played for Canada/Cardiff, his career ended prematurely and he seems to have then been with Dai as a coach when Dai moved to Wasps.

Did he fall into the role of fitness coaching simply because he was there and available and there was a sense of loyalty from Cardiff and Dai.. or has he taken a degree in sports science and nutrition that made him a viable candidate?

Anyone can shout at players to lift more or run faster in training that doesn't automatically make you an expert on strength and conditioning.

Out of desperation are the players being over trained?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 07:56:56 AM by BG »

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 18, 2019, 08:56:41 AM »
I'm fairly sure Dan has qualifications. And quite simply you don't end up looking like Dan Baugh if you don't know anything.

Why are we so ready to believe that wasps have been employing someone with no knowledge for so long? It's not that he's been fired. His move has been announced already.