Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Latest on Sarries and the salary cap  (Read 7094 times)

RobAWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Latest on Sarries and the salary cap
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2019, 03:13:22 PM »
I think those poor Sarries have been very harshly treated. After all they've done for the England team... As their supporters rightly point out, Harlequins also cheated quite blatantly in a European match against Leinster which led to the "Bloodgate" scandal and by comparison Saracens punishment was completely out of proportion. I believe that this should be rectified ASAP so Sarries supporters can get over their persecution complex. So, whilst there was the suggestion that Harlequins had used fake blood at up to four other matches, they were only charged over the Leinster HC Quarter Final- one match- and were fined £259,000 with Dean Richards receiving a 3 year ban. Saracens have admitted cheating for three seasons. Assuming HC matches fall outside of the salary cap and ignoring the Premiership Cup, that's 66 Premiership matches so pro rata they should be fined £15.774 million and the charming, utterly blameless Mr Wray- a man closing on on Fararge's achievement of making Nigel the least popular name in the English language- should be banned from having any part in rugby until the year 2217. There, couldn't be fairer could we?

We definitely need a 'like' button  :D

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2019, 03:19:15 PM »

Just a question of accounting...

For salary cap purposes, I believe that a players salary incudes any sponsorship and image rights.

I don't really know much about those, but how can a club control them?
If I watch wasps Twitter updates, we were still announcing sponsorship for some players last month.

If we'd won the world cup and Nike suddenly wanted to sponsor Maro Itoje for £1m per year, how does that get squared?

Whether you agree with the salary cap or not, it seems unfair to stop a player earning the sponsorship or image rights available to them
(I know that it's to stop unscrupulous clubs bumping a players salary through sponsorship)

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2019, 03:44:07 PM »
I agree with Shugs about preferring a weak England team. Perhaps l’m biased.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2019, 04:01:01 PM »
I think those poor Sarries have been very harshly treated. After all they've done for the England team... As their supporters rightly point out, Harlequins also cheated quite blatantly in a European match against Leinster which led to the "Bloodgate" scandal and by comparison Saracens punishment was completely out of proportion. I believe that this should be rectified ASAP so Sarries supporters can get over their persecution complex. So, whilst there was the suggestion that Harlequins had used fake blood at up to four other matches, they were only charged over the Leinster HC Quarter Final- one match- and were fined £259,000 with Dean Richards receiving a 3 year ban. Saracens have admitted cheating for three seasons. Assuming HC matches fall outside of the salary cap and ignoring the Premiership Cup, that's 66 Premiership matches so pro rata they should be fined £15.774 million and the charming, utterly blameless Mr Wray- a man closing on on Fararge's achievement of making Nigel the least popular name in the English language- should be banned from having any part in rugby until the year 2217. There, couldn't be fairer could we?

We definitely need a 'like' button  :D

There is an "Applaud" option.
Let me tell you something cucumber

RobAWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2019, 04:17:19 PM »
Cheers Neils...

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2019, 04:39:28 PM »
Liam Williams is off at the end of the season to Scarlets, on £400k per annum! https://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugby/rugby-news/liam-williams-wales-rugby-scarlets-17454523

That will clearly a massive increase to the buttons and glory he gets at Barnet Cheaters RFC.
It was fine when I left it.....

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2019, 05:19:38 PM »
Williams had been rumoured here for sometime. Glad to see it is true, wonder if it is homesickness or the fact he may not be sure of a starting place at the oppressed and victimised ones ;)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2019, 09:47:59 PM by westwaleswasp »

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2019, 06:33:09 PM »
More likely he wants to keep playing for Wales - another oppressed and victimised rugby team.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2019, 10:18:50 PM »
Presumanly he's had enough of the endless silverware and the competition from multiple Lions in every position merely playing for the glory or embracing a new challenge.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2019, 06:13:00 AM »
More likely he wants to keep playing for Wales - another oppressed and victimised rugby team.

Unless WRU have changed the selection rules, he would still be available for selection if he had stayed Sarries.

I presume he was one of the marquee players so perhaps he was facing a pay cut for his next contract?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2019, 07:28:13 AM »
He was rumoured to be moving before the findings - may be connected may not. Still cheats.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2019, 09:51:17 PM »
All is forgiven Saracens.
I realise now that this is just a minor accounting issue as original suggested.
It's a simple mistake that anyone could have made.

www.hogshaven.com/platform/amp/2019/12/11/21010759/nfl-salary-cap-to-increase-to-196-8-201-2-million-in-2020-redskins

NFL salary cap to increase to $196.8-201.2 million in 2020

It's so easy to confuse the 2 sports. Wray obviously thought he had $200m to play with

WickedWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 26, 2019, 09:11:06 AM »
It is a joke how they behaved and continues to be a joke both how they behaved and how the media are tip toeing around Nigel Wray.

I've noticed how Stephen Jones is still attending Saracens games every week with free tickets and continues to bang the drum of how hard done by they have been. What a tool.

The whole thing is genuinely putting me off the league I've started to watch a lot more pro14 now.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 26, 2019, 09:12:27 AM »
"The whole thing is genuinely putting me off the league I've started to watch a lot more pro14 now."

This

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2019, 09:35:12 AM »
To give you an example of how good Stephen Jones judgement is (or his grasp of things, if I am being kind), he once gave the Welsh team higher layer scores than the England players when England had convincingly defeated wales in a Six Nations game!!!!!!