Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Rumours thread  (Read 57542 times)

Stang

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Rumours thread
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2020, 01:46:33 PM »
In Jacob we trust.....

(Bloody pleased he’s going well)

Hopefully Lima gets a good offer to play somewhere he’ll be happy and can pick up his old form (as long as he’s not against us).

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2020, 02:13:00 PM »
Re Sopoaga. I'm assuming Wasps will not be looking to take up the 3rd year option? (I've wished the bloke the best since he's started but he just isn't performing as well as he needs to to be the 1st choice 10 every week). So given that I wonder if we'll see him play again this season? Dai has form for not picking people who he knows are leaving unless their form has been really good....
Not always, he kept picking ED when available, who we all knew was leaving, ED's form and attitude (sulking and remonstrating with officials) were really poor, however he kept his place. I am not convinced Sopoaga is off but agree that Jacob is above him at the moment in terms of form and fit with the broader team.
It was fine when I left it.....

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2020, 02:16:30 PM »
I am not convinced Sopoaga is off

I meant that he wouldn't be playing for wasps next season. Do you think Wasps will want to sign him up for another season?

You are correct re ED, but I think wasps were short of backs at that point weren't they?

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2020, 02:58:22 PM »
I am not convinced Sopoaga is off

I meant that he wouldn't be playing for wasps next season. Do you think Wasps will want to sign him up for another season?

You are correct re ED, but I think wasps were short of backs at that point weren't they?
I honestly don't know if there is an option for an extension or not, I have seen both views offered. I think Sopoaga wants to stay but it may be out of his hands, I still think Searle is a long way off where he was prior to his leg break last season and may turn out to be another failed project. So we will need more depth in cover at 10, Umaga is rightly the first pick and IF Sopoaga leaves then we have to think about another quality 10 now. Dai I am sure, is considering that. Lozowski re-joining would help but again that IMO is press supposition based on the fact the EAs will have to jettison players and he is a Wasps man.

I am not sure we were short of backs when ED was playing towards the end of last season, I think Dai elected to play him regardless as he felt ED's earlier form would be recaptured and he would want to go out head held high, once his future was finalised. Sadly it wasn't recaptured and ED was little more than an ornament, he made falling off tackles into an art form. IMO protecting himself against knocks as he made his preparations to join the EAs.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2020, 03:53:01 PM »
RBB,

Excellent description of the Loz situation. I need to remember how skeptical that rumour (an imaginative creative rumour at that) is. As much as I wish it were true!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2020, 04:09:37 PM »
RBB, I'm sure I have read that he signed for 2 years, with an option for a third, but I could be wrong.
I agree re Searle and with Jimmy not getting any younger maybe signing Sopps for a third season might make sense. But I would have thought having a back up 10 on All Blacks starter money might be an extravagance Wasps can't afford. Add in the mental affect of an All Blacks 10 being relegated to the bench by a youngster just out of the academy and his form may plummet further.

we will just have to wait & see what happens.

re Daly, I certainly remember him not playing at anywhere near his best, but I also don't think he played well for England in that period so I wouldn't necessarily blame him, but you are correct that he still got picked regardless. and thinking about it so did Simpson, Cipps, Thompson, JCW.... maybe I'm talking nonsense then :)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2020, 04:38:26 PM »
Nice rumour thread morphing into a Lima Daly "discussion" again.
Let me tell you something cucumber

RBB

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2020, 04:56:59 PM »
I had better start a rumour then  ;D, does anyone have Fissler's number?

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2020, 07:01:26 PM »
I had better start a rumour then  ;D, does anyone have Fissler's number?

Always wondered if it were possible that we could get a rumour going from this thread and try and get it reported in the media/trp

RIL should be fairly easy to capture with enough twitter noise and from there wouldn’t be surprised if people pick it up as they aren’t too bad with rumours most the time

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2020, 06:16:59 PM »
And Nick Grigg played 13 today.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2020, 06:55:00 PM »
Neils,

Knew I wasn't going mental.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2020, 07:51:31 PM »
Spink is quality in the centres, I think he's the pick of the young bunch in that position

Stang

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2020, 10:26:31 PM »
Spink is quality in the centres, I think he's the pick of the young bunch in that position

Is he worth a go at 12 now or is it a bit soon for him?

I’d be interested to see how some of our internal options go in Europe while the pressure is off. Not wanting to make wholesale changes as we have to honour the competition, but we can experiment a little bit.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 05, 2020, 11:55:58 AM »
Unsurprisingly Grigg mentioned by Fissler in TRP. Unusual to be any Wasps involvement in his column.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2020, 07:28:32 PM »

Is he worth a go at 12 now or is it a bit soon for him?

I’d be interested to see how some of our internal options go in Europe while the pressure is off. Not wanting to make wholesale changes as we have to honour the competition, but we can experiment a little bit.

He played Prem cup and did well