Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Rumours thread  (Read 57544 times)

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Rumours thread
« Reply #90 on: January 07, 2020, 11:46:42 AM »
mike909, yep, agree with all of that

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 07, 2020, 01:45:45 PM »
Anyone else think that Ben Morris could be considered for the back row ranks if this move transpired. I don't recall him doing much wrong in his opportunities. Also seems robust and can also cover 2nd row at a push (like Brad). I dont recall what's up with T Willis, reminder anyone? thx

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 07, 2020, 02:08:35 PM »
Anyone else think that Ben Morris could be considered for the back row ranks if this move transpired. I don't recall him doing much wrong in his opportunities. Also seems robust and can also cover 2nd row at a push (like Brad). I dont recall what's up with T Willis, reminder anyone? thx

Agree with this. Ben has been a good player so far for us. Last season he was flung into the back row mix and I did not see him let us down.
Let me tell you something cucumber

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 07, 2020, 02:18:57 PM »
I don't Think Tom Willis is injured, reckon he's just not being overplayed. Reckon he'll have a game or 2 in Europe.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 07, 2020, 03:08:15 PM »
I don't Think Tom Willis is injured, reckon he's just not being overplayed. Reckon he'll have a game or 2 in Europe.

I'd agree with this. He was OK in previous games, but not better than the others. More gametime in Europe will help his development. He hasn't hit the league with as much of a bang as his brother did, but he's not let anyone down, and I'd not be too upset to his name on the teamlist. Next season I'd hope to see more of him.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #95 on: January 08, 2020, 07:24:28 AM »
Will Kelleher from the Daily Mail on Twitter says Lozowski signed a new 2 year deal before the Salary Cap investigation outcome was confirmed.

https://twitter.com/willgkelleher/status/1214808949578502146?s=19

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 08, 2020, 07:46:49 AM »
Ah well. It was a longshot to sign Lozowski. Nevermind.

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 08, 2020, 07:49:47 AM »
I'd take Lewington at the end of the season!

Without wishing to derail this thread... what's the latest with Bassett? Will we be in the market for a replacement in the summer or is he injured? I know Dai mentioned resting him earlier in the season due to being overplayed last season, but would have expected to have seen something of him.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 08, 2020, 12:08:43 PM »

Given what we have in the backrow I wouldn't be too disappointed to see Shields go.

I wonder if he's feeling slightly miffed after being lured by the opportunity to play for England and potentially in the WC and then jettisoned and then picking up injury after injury.

T Willis took a massive hit on his leg/knee in the Edinburgh game so he may still be feeling the effects from that.

Morris has been playing 2nd row in the A team to help out.

If Dai is juggling money then I'd prefer him to keep Tibo who has been a revelation.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 08, 2020, 12:10:46 PM »
If Dai is juggling money then I'd prefer him to keep Tibo who has been a revelation.

Yes indeed. Isn't he a very handy 6 if needed?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2020, 12:14:03 PM »

Yes indeed. Isn't he a very handy 6 if needed?

or a backup 10

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2020, 12:44:41 PM »

Given what we have in the backrow I wouldn't be too disappointed to see Shields go.

I wonder if he's feeling slightly miffed after being lured by the opportunity to play for England and potentially in the WC and then jettisoned and then picking up injury after injury.

T Willis took a massive hit on his leg/knee in the Edinburgh game so he may still be feeling the effects from that.

Morris has been playing 2nd row in the A team to help out.

Yes - Tibo one of current favourite players.
Let me tell you something cucumber

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 08, 2020, 01:38:09 PM »
Looking dispassionately (well, as much as I can....) at the squad - I'd not want to lose Brad and would look to increase his influence and responsibility within the team/squad

Yep - we have excellent individuals  - but an issue at present and looking at the squad going forwards isn't going to be about individuals for me. It will be about leadership and direction and taking what is agreed on the training pitch on to the pitch and delivering the plan. Alongside having the confidence to change tack if indicated

Brad has a vg track record of leadership for both Wellington in a very trying period and for the Hurricanes was a leading player and finally Capt making over 100 appearances in a period they improved lots

Now - it might just be me.....but I'd want a player of that pedigree and level of performance and record of responsibility playing for us and being a focal point for the less experienced if talented players we have. We don't seem to have that leadership at present. I was probably not alone in expecting Robson to be doing better in that role, perhaps ust needs to get back to being a 9, and Launch needs some support.

If we lose him - whoever gets him are a lucky team.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 08, 2020, 03:03:17 PM »
Owen Slot in The Times this morning:

Alex Lozowski, who is out of contract this summer, was adamant that he would not be leaving the club before the end of the season. “No way — that is not going to happen,” the 26-year-old back said, indicating his situation would become clearer in the coming weeks. “I’m contracted until the end of the season at least. I have to put my best foot forward and show why I deserve to be given a contract, whether it’s here or wherever.”

Believe Bath are interested in a 12 and 13 with some contacts ending this season...Loz will stay at Sarries anyway.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 08, 2020, 03:35:03 PM »
I am slightly confused with people saying that "we don't need shields because we have Young & Willis, and Brads injured a lot anyway"

I would have thought that since Brad has been at Wasps, both Willis & Young will have hardly played, due to injury!. I get that Willis & Young are a great pairing, but their injury record is pretty dire and I would expect Dai to be looking to keep as many top quality players as possible. Its no use having only 2 great flankers, wasps need at least 4, better still, 6 top quality back row to compete over the season.

I might also suggest that Brad may not be on the stratospheric wages we may think. Bear in mind he came to the Prem so he could play for England, thats been his target, so he may have accepted a lower offer because it was in his interests to do so. (i'm not suggesting he's on a low wage, but I don't think he'd be up there with Hughes & Piatau at Bristol, for example)