Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Rumours thread  (Read 57537 times)

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Re: Rumours thread
« Reply #120 on: January 12, 2020, 08:38:58 PM »
Totally agree, RIL (Saints Fan) has picked that up from this board! Burns is not what we need.
It was fine when I left it.....

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 12, 2020, 08:39:19 PM »
1. Don't think I'd go for him. Incredibly flakey. At least Sopoaga is stable...

2. Coincidence this another forum mention they'd like Burns then suddenly RIL says Burns is now a rumour?

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 12, 2020, 09:25:58 PM »
I think I was first on here to mention Mr Burns - merely in terms of "type of FH" and I certainly have no inside knowledge, it was merely the sort of FH who on form I've enjoyed watching and has the sort of experience that would IMO be valuable to most Prem teams

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2020, 09:34:47 PM »
Burns? No thanks. Not a Wasp.
Burns reminds me of Goodey - just a bit more mobile.

Better vfm than Lima I suggest.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2020, 09:49:52 PM »
If Jacob is seen as the first, then Sops is too big to be a 2nd, in stature and wages.
If you are genuinely talking about an alternative FH then Burns would be it, flakey yes but also does things a bit different. Almost the perfect alternative to change a game.
Yes from me.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 09:54:15 PM by Hymenoptera »

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 13, 2020, 08:22:32 AM »
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/freddie-burns-wasps-transfer-rumour-17556140.amp

"Despite uncertainty in position, ConventryLive understands that Burns is NOT on Wasps' radar"

Note ConventryLive didn't post equivalent ruling out Brad Shields rumour

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2020, 01:55:01 PM »
Read an interesting article over the weekend discussing likely departures from Sarries and the likely destinations of those players (N.B. only half the players had likely destinations).

Wasps weren't mentioned as a potential destination for any of the players (probably to the delight of some!). Baxter has hinted that Exeter may look at Saracens players if and when they come available, as I'm sure oth DORs will. So it got me thinking on a few things....

*Will we look to target Saracens players if they become available? Would we be an attractive destinations for them?
*Would we offer Daly a return?
*Do we have the ability to target 'Saracens calibre' players (referring to playing ability, not moral compass!)?
*Are we even likely to feature in the rumour mill in general, or will it be a penny pinching summer for us?

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2020, 02:19:09 PM »

*Will we look to target Saracens players if they become available? Would we be an attractive destinations for them?
*Would we offer Daly a return?
*Do we have the ability to target 'Saracens calibre' players (referring to playing ability, not moral compass!)?
*Are we even likely to feature in the rumour mill in general, or will it be a penny pinching summer for us?

I hope we don't but for a rugby player, a job's a job.
Daly - no
We might - players like Maitland perhaps or Nick I?
Penny pinching looks likely, unless we release an expensive player or two (Say Brad and Lima?)

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2020, 02:23:49 PM »
Rory,

It's seeming like penny pinching is accurate.... At this point we'd expect rumours, we've only rumours who's leaving.

This time last year we had rumours of players joining and leaving.

Makes me concerned players like Sopoaga are re signing and we haven't heard a replacement for Searle other than very early season rumours that we were "looking at fly halves", nothing since.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2020, 02:45:34 PM »
We are still in January, plenty of time to evaluate what we need and what the market offers and go from there.
I'm not concerned by a lack of news, there isn't much out there for any team at the moment other than rumours.
For the record i don't expect there to be as many Sarries players available as people are speculating..nor do I want any, they grate me.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2020, 02:53:20 PM »
I think I prefer this not being linked with anyone to the situation we had 2-4 years ago where we were seen as having silly money to throw around and were consequently linked with everybody.  Dai can quietly get on and do his recruitment.

As for Sarries rejects, first off it remains to be seen just how many of their big name internationals will stick around in the Championship.  Think Daly has burnt his bridges, so very little prospect of him coming back (thought his girlfriend wanted to be back in London anyway).

Maitland is a good shout.  We're short of top class wingers.  He doesn't appear to have the ego of some of his team mates and his market value should be more in line with our budget.

I'd also welcome Loz back quite happily.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2020, 03:16:35 PM »
Maro seems like an honourable cove, and not overly expensive.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2020, 03:22:45 PM »
I would prefer we spent not a lot of money and found more like Umaga and Tibo. They cost little to take on board, can often come into the academy, and the punt can come off big time. Players often come into an Academy at 18, get let go, find themselves in a Championship side, maybe up into 3rd or 4th choice in a Prem squad, still at a very young age, and not really getting game time. I can think of a young lad I used to teach currently languishing at Irish, having gone into the Glaws acadamy and then being released. There must be many more like him.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2020, 03:58:17 PM »
At the risk of mentioning Lima and engaging the diwnvotes, I think Jacob really is number one, and as implied by Hymenoptera above, if that is the case, there is no way we can justify Lima as number two, even if he is on seventy five percent of what he was rumoured to be on, the rumoured salary  was a fat wad of wonga by any reckoning. If Shields and Lima go there might be a bit of money to go about.
I suspect that after every awful performance there will be a clarion call for more spending, whilst after every win people will be happier with low key signings and academy promotions. I would like us to sign in the weaker positions, thinking back to guys like Wentzel and Betsen, what a massive difference they made. They came for the right reasons, of course, and I would like that to be the case with any Sarries former players. That said, there might be a bit of disenchantment about the great satans of barnet, and if they disperse they might turn Queen's evidence and lift the lid on the unsavoury episode. Beneath the  veneer something very rotten has lurked and multiplied for a long time.

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2020, 04:55:12 PM »
I've stopped buying TRP for a few reasons, so not aware of Fissler's rumours in it. However, I do keep an eye on the other usual suspects for leaking stories. As Hymenoptera has mentioned above, there isn't actually that many stories circulating in general (perhaps the Sarries saga has diverted interest from it). It is only Jan, but normally Dec/Jan are when silly season starts on the rumour front.

For the record, my answers would be:
*Yes if the right sarries player was available and willing to come. Still would love Loz to come back as think he is the perfect long term replacement for Gops. Maitland is a great shout too
*I'd say no to Daly too
*I like to think we would be attractive to players but appreciate we're currently less so than other clubs, but depends on the position as we could offer regular game time to some
*I too don't mind us not being linked to everyone and anyone anymore. It just concerns me sometimes that we aren't, but perhaps it does make Dai's job a lot easier