Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Rumours thread  (Read 57545 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Rumours thread
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2020, 05:09:00 PM »
Based on the state of our academy, the youngsters who came through at the start of this season, and those who may be ready to start getting involved in the bigger games I'm not massively worried about us signing or not signing big names.  If we do then great, if we don't I can live with that too.

If we're going to be spending money on bringing people to be part of Wasps I'm more interested in growing the coaching team.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2020, 05:26:38 PM »
I don't think we should change our squad. But where players are leaving/need replacing we ought to do that.

E.g. Searle needs replacing. Shields and Sopoaga may need replacing. But for all 3 distribution of money will be different if we get replacements and I'd ideally prefer to spend less as well.

We need to be smarter with our funds. Investment in academy and coaching us a good shout. But I'm still concerned over 10 and 12 in terms of current depth and how long Gopperth+Sopoaga will be here.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2020, 06:09:47 PM »
Yes, not sure I'd be worried about "penny pinching". I like the direction we're moving in in terms of academy development. I'd like to target retaining our front row which has been really good this year and we should be throwing money at Willis. I'd happily go in with Umaga and Sopoaga even if Sopoaga is number two. For me Miller is a more than adequate third choice and I think Gopperth will still be around.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 23, 2020, 07:46:41 PM »
The key thing to me is not to allow another Stuart to occur.

The young guys have talked about their group culture and it is this that will determine our trajectory in the next half decade. The quality of some of these newcomers is staggering - I well remember the last tranch of Daly/Launch/Wade/Jones. To have 9 of them in one season, and to have so much match time for Wolstenholme, Cardell, Flament, Ogre, and of course Jacob - already this season [8 games in] is a big boost, even if we are not yet winning games. It was the same in 2011.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 23, 2020, 08:08:19 PM »
I'd be happy with just Loz, I know Sirker is out long term but we still have 4 premiership class wingers and if Bassett continues his recent form he's on a par with Maitland.

BdeB

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 23, 2020, 08:32:08 PM »
Twitter rumour that there will be changes at the top of the Wasps coaching team as early as Monday.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 23, 2020, 08:50:52 PM »
Twitter rumour that there will be changes at the top of the Wasps coaching team as early as Monday.

Got a link?

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 23, 2020, 09:04:03 PM »
Beardmore from Eggchasers.
About as in the know as my nan. More likely they are changing the team bus.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 23, 2020, 09:05:25 PM »
Beardmore from Eggchasers.
About as in the know as my nan. More likely they are changing the team bus.

Could well be the Blackett to Cov thing.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #144 on: January 23, 2020, 10:03:10 PM »
Timing would make sense. Would give the players a week off, then 2 weeks to adapt before the next match.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 23, 2020, 10:21:17 PM »
How about poaching a coach from Sarries instead.

Sanderson to step up as head coach under Dai as DOR. Sanderson is always fantastic when interviewed pitchside.

Loz and Skelton all day long for me, Skelton would make such an impact with his carrying work compared to our other locks, bit of an enforcer role too which we’ve not had for a long time, sure he’ll end up in france next though

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 23, 2020, 10:46:33 PM »
Frankly, I wouldn't touch anyone, and that includes coaches, with a bargepole if they come from the Estate Agents. They are all tainted to some degree.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 23, 2020, 10:49:58 PM »

Interesting!  I've been half expecting to see some movement since the start of the season.

Time will tell I suppose.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 23, 2020, 11:14:50 PM »
It would be a step forward but can't help feeling it is based on the article by BB earlier in the week.
Let me tell you something cucumber

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 24, 2020, 10:11:51 AM »
I personally hope for some change/action. It feels too much like the best we've had this season is a number of false dawns - the good performances have been a bit random and whilst I think we saw - perhaps - what our plan is vs Agen - we need to become more consistent in terms of performance.