Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Rumours thread  (Read 57544 times)

Marlovian

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Rumours thread
« Reply #150 on: January 24, 2020, 11:17:49 AM »
Alex King coming in as head coach????

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 24, 2020, 11:57:41 AM »
Alex King coming in as head coach????

Does he have the experience to be Head Coach?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 24, 2020, 11:58:49 AM »
I'm not sure it will be an incoming coach, wrong time of year for that to be announced.... unless it's an unemployed one.

I'm guessing this is going to be the Blackett to Coventry announcement.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 24, 2020, 12:00:05 PM »
I'm not sure it will be an incoming coach, wrong time of year for that to be announced.... unless it's an unemployed one.

I'm guessing this is going to be the Blackett to Coventry announcement.

+1
Let me tell you something cucumber

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 24, 2020, 12:04:40 PM »
There was some murmuring on social media that Howley was seen at Wasps training ground so it must be him coming back after he's served his ban....

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 24, 2020, 12:28:28 PM »
His ban runs out in June.  Wondered at the time it was announced whether Wasps might be interested for next season.  Ex-Wasp (scorer of one of the most famous tries in the Wasps history), good international coaching experience (although I know he's not universally popular in Wales, but I think that stems from spells in charge while Gats was tied up with the Lions), played with Dai both for Cardiff and Wales, and presumably available at something of a knock-down price.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 24, 2020, 12:38:30 PM »
His ban runs out in June.  Wondered at the time it was announced whether Wasps might be interested for next season.  Ex-Wasp (scorer of one of the most famous tries in the Wasps history), good international coaching experience (although I know he's not universally popular in Wales, but I think that stems from spells in charge while Gats was tied up with the Lions), played with Dai both for Cardiff and Wales, and presumably available at something of a knock-down price.

He got a real kicking from the press and public here, it was shameful.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: January 24, 2020, 12:42:04 PM »

Was that not mainly as a result of a dip in results every time Gatland coached the Lions and Howler was left in charge?  His record as a backs / skills coach under Gats stands up I think.  I'd be happy to have him at Wasps.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 24, 2020, 12:44:42 PM »
As much as Howley does have faults, on and off the field, we should remember he's been a successful head coach for Wales (winning six Nations in 2013) and assisted on 2 successful lions tours. Hell the attack in the second tour was outrageous at times, scoring one of the all time great lions tries. And Wasps legend.

Part of me thinks he could do great things again if given a chance. The other part remembers Wales attack the past couple of years has been dire at times. I'm honestly torn.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 24, 2020, 01:24:36 PM »
DGP: Only one of the best tries!! I'd put it up there as Number 1 - perhaps with Trevor's in the semi number 2.
This topic may justify a thread on its own. Any high up there, a try by Simpson against Quins at the Stoop.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 24, 2020, 02:04:06 PM »

Was that not mainly as a result of a dip in results every time Gatland coached the Lions and Howler was left in charge?  His record as a backs / skills coach under Gats stands up I think.  I'd be happy to have him at Wasps.

Yes, basically. Being in charge for the autumn in Wales is often awkward, iirc he got a bum deal in terms of fixtures generally.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 24, 2020, 02:11:28 PM »

Part of me thinks he could do great things again if given a chance. The other part remembers Wales attack the past couple of years has been dire at times. I'm honestly torn.

I think Wales were looking towards a more conservative approach - like the one that beat England in Cardiff last time out. There is more than one  way to skin a rabbit - and I think between them - Gats and Rob looked to maximising the benefit from their team above an aesthetic approach.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 24, 2020, 03:12:25 PM »
So 2 additional pages later and magic..nothing...typical Beardmore, a walking clickbait.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 24, 2020, 03:21:33 PM »
Yep. Smoke, mirrors and bu$$er all.
Let me tell you something cucumber

WickedWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 24, 2020, 05:36:17 PM »
Howley was backs coach at the Blues under Dai to. I wouldn't rule it out. I believe Gleeson has been helping out with the backs so maybe he will just step in. I would like to see Howley though as said above a great track record but unfairly was an easy target for the Welsh press and public.