Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Nigel Wray 'disillusioned with other owners' in wake of salary cap scandal  (Read 5571 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Reveals Brendan Venter in today's Telegraph.

Nigel Wray bowed to pressure to step down as Saracens chairman on Thursday feeling ‘disillusioned’ at his treatment by fellow club owners in the wake of the salary-cap scandal.

In November, Saracens were hit with an unprecedented 35-point deduction and £5.4million fine for breaking Premiership Rugby’s salary cap over a three-year period. The punishment barely stemmed the anger towards Saracens from other Premiership clubs, in part because of Wray’s lack of contrition since his business arrangements with leading England players, including Owen Farrell and Maro Itoje, were uncovered. Exeter Chiefs owner Tony Rowe called for the English and European champions to be thrown out of the league. Wray has not attended an away Premiership game since the ruling was delivered.

Brendan Venter, the former director of rugby who remains closely involved with the club, believes that Wray, 72, was planning to step down as the public face of the club regardless. Yet Venter told Telegraph Sport that Wray was shocked at the level of vitriol aimed towards him.

“Nigel was disillusioned,” Venter said. “Nigel is in rugby because he loved the camaraderie and the friendship, which makes the sport unique. When this thing happened, there was a side of rugby that he became disillusioned with. He did not know it worked like that. That would have hurt him the most. He liked all those club owners personally. He speaks very highly of them all. He saw these people as his friends and then they turned on him. I am sure that played a role in his decision because at the age of 72 you do not want to be fighting people. You want to be enjoying rugby and life.”

Also moving aside is chief executive Mitesh Velani, who has taken up a consultancy position, with Ed Griffiths returning to his former role in an interim capacity. Griffiths previously left the club under something of a cloud in 2015 when allegations of Saracens breaching the salary cap first came to light.

Crucially, Wray and his family will continue to bankroll Saracens, even though he is stepping down after 25 years as chairman. Without his financial support, the north London club would collapse. In the last set of released financial accounts, Wray wrote off £48m of debt accrued by Saracens.

In a statement released on the club website, Wray emphasised that he is not walking away, which means he cannot enter any further co-investment schemes with players. “As we enter a new year, a new decade, it is time for the club to make a fresh start,” Wray said. “I am not getting any younger and feel this is the right moment for me to stand down as chairman and just enjoy being a fan of this incredible rugby club. I will always be committed to the wonderful Saracens family.

“The Wray family will continue to provide the required financial support to the club, and I will remain actively engaged in the work of the Saracens Sport Foundation and Saracens High School, as part of the club’s ongoing commitment to our community in north London.”

Wray’s impact and philanthropy extend far beyond the various patches of north London that Saracens have called home over the years. His signings of world superstars like Francois Pienaar, Philippe Sella and Michael Lynagh in the early days of professionalism brought exotic glamour to the Premiership. Under former chief executive Paul Deakin, Saracens also broke new ground in marketing matches, catapulting their crowds from 2,000 to 20,000. Wray also invested heavily in the academy, which has produced scores of England internationals in the past decade.

Yet as the godfather of the current Saracens dynasty which has spawned five Premiership titles and three European Cups, Venter believes that Wray’s motives are still misunderstood. “You forget how valuable Nigel’s contribution has been towards English rugby,” Venter said. “The only way English rugby can have these brilliant rugby players is if they stay and play in England and that is because of people like Nigel. It was never about winning trophies, it was about his innate generosity.”

Venter gives the example of Jannie de Beer, the South Africa fly-half who signed for Saracens only to rupture his knee ligaments shortly afterwards. “Nigel honoured the contract for the entire duration when legally six months was all that was required,” Venter said. “There was no value for Nigel there. There are heaps of other examples.”

In the eyes of his supporters, Wray’s legacy remains one of benevolence and kindness. To his detractors, he masterminded cheating on a scale with Lance Armstrong. The middle ground is vanishingly small.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Person others thought was friend, was in fact screwing them, get's upset when they are upset...

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
Bless...do I care? Not a jot.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
Reveals Brendan Venter in today's Telegraph.

Nigel Wray bowed to pressure to step down as Saracens chairman on Thursday feeling ‘disillusioned’ at his treatment by fellow club owners in the wake of the salary-cap scandal.

In November, Saracens were hit with an unprecedented 35-point deduction and £5.4million fine for breaking Premiership Rugby’s salary cap over a three-year period. The punishment barely stemmed the anger towards Saracens from other Premiership clubs, in part because of Wray’s lack of contrition since his business arrangements with leading England players, including Owen Farrell and Maro Itoje, were uncovered. Exeter Chiefs owner Tony Rowe called for the English and European champions to be thrown out of the league. Wray has not attended an away Premiership game since the ruling was delivered.

Brendan Venter, the former director of rugby who remains closely involved with the club, believes that Wray, 72, was planning to step down as the public face of the club regardless. Yet Venter told Telegraph Sport that Wray was shocked at the level of vitriol aimed towards him.

“Nigel was disillusioned,” Venter said. “Nigel is in rugby because he loved the camaraderie and the friendship, which makes the sport unique. When this thing happened, there was a side of rugby that he became disillusioned with. He did not know it worked like that. That would have hurt him the most. He liked all those club owners personally. He speaks very highly of them all. He saw these people as his friends and then they turned on him. I am sure that played a role in his decision because at the age of 72 you do not want to be fighting people. You want to be enjoying rugby and life.”

Also moving aside is chief executive Mitesh Velani, who has taken up a consultancy position, with Ed Griffiths returning to his former role in an interim capacity. Griffiths previously left the club under something of a cloud in 2015 when allegations of Saracens breaching the salary cap first came to light.

Crucially, Wray and his family will continue to bankroll Saracens, even though he is stepping down after 25 years as chairman. Without his financial support, the north London club would collapse. In the last set of released financial accounts, Wray wrote off £48m of debt accrued by Saracens.

In a statement released on the club website, Wray emphasised that he is not walking away, which means he cannot enter any further co-investment schemes with players. “As we enter a new year, a new decade, it is time for the club to make a fresh start,” Wray said. “I am not getting any younger and feel this is the right moment for me to stand down as chairman and just enjoy being a fan of this incredible rugby club. I will always be committed to the wonderful Saracens family.

“The Wray family will continue to provide the required financial support to the club, and I will remain actively engaged in the work of the Saracens Sport Foundation and Saracens High School, as part of the club’s ongoing commitment to our community in north London.”

Wray’s impact and philanthropy extend far beyond the various patches of north London that Saracens have called home over the years. His signings of world superstars like Francois Pienaar, Philippe Sella and Michael Lynagh in the early days of professionalism brought exotic glamour to the Premiership. Under former chief executive Paul Deakin, Saracens also broke new ground in marketing matches, catapulting their crowds from 2,000 to 20,000. Wray also invested heavily in the academy, which has produced scores of England internationals in the past decade.

Yet as the godfather of the current Saracens dynasty which has spawned five Premiership titles and three European Cups, Venter believes that Wray’s motives are still misunderstood. “You forget how valuable Nigel’s contribution has been towards English rugby,” Venter said. “The only way English rugby can have these brilliant rugby players is if they stay and play in England and that is because of people like Nigel. It was never about winning trophies, it was about his innate generosity.”

Venter gives the example of Jannie de Beer, the South Africa fly-half who signed for Saracens only to rupture his knee ligaments shortly afterwards. “Nigel honoured the contract for the entire duration when legally six months was all that was required,” Venter said. “There was no value for Nigel there. There are heaps of other examples.”

In the eyes of his supporters, Wray’s legacy remains one of benevolence and kindness. To his detractors, he masterminded cheating on a scale with Lance Armstrong. The middle ground is vanishingly small.

And, the capacity of Allianz Park has doubled according to this article? The Lance Armstrong parallel is well made, if you cheat you fall from grace, fact. Wray cheated , no one likes him, this is self induced and therefore why would any owner be forgiving. The whole EA set up is in denial, they have been caught cheating and seem to think that the 'good' things Wray have done neutralise that. It will tkae a long time for everyone to move on from this, if at all.
It was fine when I left it.....

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Frankly, the sooner they get relegated the better. It will be a sad day for rugby when another club, playing within the rules, drops.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
I think we do need to remember that he did indeed do great things for English rugby. He has essentially given away a fortune to a game he clearly loves.

However, as mentioned above, that doesn't mean he is forgiven when he allows himself to get carried away and forget that there's rule he has to live by. Quoting nice sound bites about integrity etc does make you look a bit silly when it turns out you've been cheating!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
We're supposed to forgive him screwing over the enitre Premiership for year after year because he paid an injured player?

I struggle to get my head round the cognitive dissonance that is going on with Sarries right now.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
It has certainly cost him a fortune if he is writing off tens of millions. He also had to pay the Saffers back their £40m investment when they left because of salary fixing. It is a vanity project for Wray. Yes he might enjoy rugby and the very localised plaudits his sycophants give him. However if you sign up to a system and go about breaking it from the outset you deserve every piece of vitriol coming your way.

I really dislike all this press praise being generated by the EA PR machine. It just shows how inept PRL really are. It makes the law abiding (until proved otherwise) owners look the bad guys. Sickening.

Also Wray better look over his shoulder because if he breaks the salary cap then other owners have much more money than him with bigger stadiums - eg Lansdown being a multi billionaire. The EAs could find themselves quickly second rate.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 10:32:08 AM by Neils »
Let me tell you something cucumber

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Where to start with that lot????  Poor Nige. 

Total lack of any remorse.  Making himself out to be the victim again (in fairness, it's Venter's words, not his own, but you can be sure it's all part of Sarries' collective self pity).

Disillusioned because he was in it for "camaraderie and friendship", yet all the while he was deceiving and betraying those that he now claims to be disillusioned with.  Stop and reflect for a moment and you may finally come to realise that it is you in the wrong, not everyone else!

And as for "catapulting their crowds from 2,000 to 20,000"???? Where did someone pluck that from??  Just checked, and last season their average home gate was 11,985, and that includes 42K at the Olympic stadium.  Take that out of the equation and it drops to 9,190.  English and European champions and they can't even fill a 10K stadium consistently.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
The Eulogising PR will doubtless drive us all to distraction in the weeks ahead. It is what the PR people do and the papers lap up.

Even Oswald Mosley was described as "a man of genuine courage and inspiring leadership" amongst other plaudits in the MSM

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Nigel Wray 'disillusioned with other owners' in wake of salary cap scandal
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2020, 11:06:14 AM »
Sarries academy producing scores of internationals.
Again, bullshit. Some internationals, but it includes a lot of young people poached wjo retrospectively get added into the academy output- like Billy, Mako, Goode and no doubt Singleton etc.

Where are they all?

Mako (Bris) Billy, Loz, Maitland (Gladgow) Williams (Scarlets) , Skelton, Daly , Singleton (Worcs) , Wigglesworth (Sale) , Goode (Bath) all bought in from the current team, having guys like Strettle and Ashton poached previously plus the whole SA contingent like Barrit (Sharks) . Lesser lights like Lewington imported young too. Nicking 20 year olds and mixing with a few high profile imports and some academy products is not the unending conveyor belt of talent it is made out to be by apologists.

Farrell, Kruis (although I think he was not at the academy, just spotted at 17/18 and offered a trial) , Itoje, George, Spencer, Isikwe. I am struggling after that. Not "scores" of internationals.

Not really that extensive a list is it?

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2020, 11:14:37 AM »
I'm not surprised by the sycophantic and incestuous nature of the various rugby press articles. The press rely on keeping good relations with club owners otherwise people like Brendan Venter wouldn't give them column inches.

Laura Lambert is a financial journalist.. she isn't bothered about who she offends.

From the article

“You forget how valuable Nigel’s contribution has been towards English rugby,” Venter said. “The only way English rugby can have these brilliant rugby players is if they stay and play in England and that is because of people like Nigel.

All of the England players would still have been in England and representing England, but potentially at other clubs.

Salarycens keep banging on about their academy. Good for them.. what other clubs normally experience is that they develop talent and at some point, due to market conditions, they can't afford to keep them as the player maximises their earning potential and move on.

You could argue that over the last 5 yrs or more London Irish and Sale have pinpointed and developed talent

I have a suspicion that the cap rules will change. The figure will stay the same but the credits for academy will increase.

I also think the £80k max EPS credit will increase. All clubs will argue that £80k doesn't cover the wages of the players for the period that they are away with England which is probably now true.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 11:16:48 AM by BG »

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2020, 11:19:07 AM »
These days we are seeing more of these exaggerated numbers quoted without basis in fact.  This isn't a political point, but Boris Johnson uses this technique to great effect.  50000 nurses doesn't only sound a lot, and is a bigger number than 31000, but it is also a number that sticks in the mind more easily.  So, by the same measure 20000 is a bigger number than 2000, sticks in the mind more easily and is also an 10 fold increase (10 is a handy number that sticks too).  Repeat this often enough (I believe it is around 20 times) and people begin to believe it as fact. 

The Telegraph now seem to avoid verification of the facts and one of their columnists is, of course, Boris Johnson so I guess it is no great surprise that we should see the same tactic appearing elsewhere in their paper.  As I said, not a political point for or against Johnson's politics just an observation that this successful tactic seems to becoming more common.

St Bruno

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2020, 11:26:13 AM »
I don't think I've ever read a bigger load of used food in my life, and that includes the vomit-inducing PR emails from HMRC about how great their online system is. The sooner he is thrown out of any participation in rugby, the better. He is utterly appalling.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 11:46:42 AM »

It's the victors that write history.

If in 5 years time there's a European super league with no salary cap and Saracens heading up the English charge, then all this will be forgotten, and Nigel Wray will be not only the saviour of the game, but also the man who led the way