Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Searle is leaving for Worcester  (Read 5530 times)

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: Searle is leaving for Worcester
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2020, 06:41:11 PM »
Won't he be 3rd behind Donkey Weir and Lance at Worc...I guess 3rd and a Maserati is better than 3rd and a Dacia.
As for Miller. I'd say he was at least if not better than what you expect from a 3rd choice 10. What quality are you bringing in to be 3rd choice..

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2020, 06:56:22 PM »
Good luck to Searle. I must admit I never really rated him. In terms of where we go I'm more than happy going in with Sopoaga and Umaga. Behind them we have Miller who is more than adequate and won't be solely dependent on 10 for game time so won't get disenfranchised bring effectively our third choice back up in that position. I'm also not as sure as others that Gopperth will finish at the end of this year.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2020, 07:21:26 PM »
Same Shugs..Jimmy carries himself like a 30 year old, I wouldn't be surprised if he had at least one more season in him, he's clearly got the appetite for it.
If Jacob is seen as first choice, i'm not sure second choice needs to be on 500k. Hate to talk money but...I'd rather a Myler type player, experience, high miles, less coinage.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2020, 07:22:46 PM »
I would guess that Weir may be off?

As to 10's in our academy, we obviously have one, but no name is putting itself forward to me.

WickedWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2020, 07:23:26 PM »
I liked Searle but can see it makes sense. The money on offer and potential for more game time. Injury disrupted his time with us.
If Lima stays I bet it would be on a revised contract. Same time I feel we will need his boot if Gopps retires. And it depends who we have to replace him. Pains me to say it but think we need more size in our backline. Thinking back to Tagi, Varndell etc.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2020, 07:24:31 PM »
I'm still not convinced Lima will be with us next season.

Not that I'm particularly sad Searle is off, I'd say he was signed as 3rd choice and could even be 4th now.

If he can push on somewhere else then all the best to him.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2020, 07:57:24 PM »
Jimmy's try was an astonishing statement from a 36 yr old.
He remains very sharp mentally and physically on that showing. Give him another season.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2020, 08:37:37 PM »
I would guess that Weir may be off?

As to 10's in our academy, we obviously have one, but no name is putting itself forward to me.

Charlie Atkinson is the 10 coming through the ranks and tipped for big things but must remember he is still at school and in the U18 squad. He has however been first choice 10 for the U18s since he was about 15 and has been with England U18 for the last two years. Would expect him to set up next year to the academy but a way off being able to be 3rd choice FH I imagine, although he has already appeared for the A team.

Shame to lose Searle as him and Umaga would have been good competition for each other over the next few years. Lima said he was staying on social media a while back. Hope we sign a 12/10 and then with Miller would be happy for them to fight out the 3rd choice slot
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 08:42:42 PM by JonnyD »

MarleyWasp

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2020, 09:11:46 PM »
Won't he be 3rd behind Donkey Weir and Lance at Worc...I guess 3rd and a Maserati is better than 3rd and a Dacia.
As for Miller. I'd say he was at least if not better than what you expect from a 3rd choice 10. What quality are you bringing in to be 3rd choice..

Lance is out of contract next season.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2020, 09:12:52 PM »

Lance is out of contract next season.
Thats true but they have Shillcot too dont they?
Throwing out an alternative #2 to Sops, reckon less than half the price and up for contract renewal.
Freddie Burns - Thoughts?

MarleyWasp

« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2020, 09:20:05 PM »
Shillcock is predominantly used at 15.

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2020, 12:34:03 PM »
A bit of additional info on BBC report "Searle previously worked under Warriors director of rugby Alan Solomons during his time as a coaching consultant at Bristol - where he also worked with Jonathan Thomas and Matt Sherratt, who are both joining the Sixways coaching staff this summer".

Makes a lot of sense hooking back up with 3 previous coaches that he worked with. They obviously rate him and him them.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2020, 05:50:24 PM »

I too am not convinced that Lima will stay based on just this departure. Obviously if he says he is here next year that is different.
We were linked with Lozowski, or has that been scotched? If that transpires with just Jacob + Loz (12) would mean that Searle would be third min as in the event of injury to Jacob we would do what we did when Danny was injured and we switched Jimmy to ten.
I am am going to wish Searle all the best- that 40 mins at Bristol he was magic- possibly my fondest memory of last year, though that could have been the cider- the injury was so badly timed.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2020, 05:52:29 PM »

I thought he did very well for a 3rd choice ten.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2020, 05:58:37 PM »

I thought he did very well for a 3rd choice ten.

Agree with this. I think Rob is underrated. He is always criticised when he comes back into the team. He needs game time.
Let me tell you something cucumber