Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Haskell feeling ignored  (Read 4715 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Haskell feeling ignored
« on: January 11, 2020, 07:47:25 AM »
https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/james-haskell-wasps-rugby-news-17543509

I've been extremely lucky enough to be able to see behind the scemes in the players lounge a few times on Match day. It was fascinating to see which players sat together, who was there despite being injured. Who took time to speak to the fans and who didn't bother.

Hask never even showed up. I queried it as I really wanted to meet him the first time and was told he normally just does his own thing.

Add that to the fairly blatant shit stirring he did towards the end of his time with us and it isn't surprising at all few people at the club have a connection with him.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Haskell feeling ignored
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2020, 07:58:30 AM »
It wasn't just that. He kept his private life very separate. Partly, I suspect, due to where he lived, over near Northampton. When you would see a group of players in Leamington or its environs, maybe after training, and often at other times, Hask was never with them. Over in Northampton, popping out with the boys was easy. He should get on with life. I never go back to any place I have worked either.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2020, 10:18:47 AM »
For a person with a normal job it seems like an odd complaint. I have lost touch with people I used to work with, I don't blame the company for that. If you want to stay in touch, then stay in touch? Andy Goode is a big character and didn't seem to struggle with staying in touch, got himself a local job out of it as well.

Perhaps there is more Wasps could do for formers players. If Wasps were thinking of inviting players back though, would the person who bad mouths them in public at every opportunity be top of the list? Or would they be worried about what he might say and do.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 10:26:00 AM by Brandnewtorugby »

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 10:47:42 AM »
I think Wasps do a lot of work with former players in various guises - but only if the (ex) players and the club want to. I've always thought Haskell was a bit of a dickhead, to be honest. Maybe those who know him better disagree, or maybe knowing him better gives them more reason to dislike him.

WickedWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2020, 10:52:08 AM »
Think most of what I would say on this matter has already been said above. Plus towards the end Hask was bitter about not being offered a new contract and that turned out to be the correct decision. It would have been one thing keeping him on as a well established club player for the last couple years of his career on a reduced wage. But this wouldnt have been the case he was unlikely to have been able to play hardly any games due to his ongoing injury and that turned out to be correct. When you have limited funds this is the reality of it.

On a side note I didnt really like the podcast done between him and Genge. I still cringe as someone who himself comes from a lower class background how Genge speaks about his background and upbringing and then continues to talk like some thug and the rest of the people salvate over him like hes some mental animal who is so cool. Genge speaks well in small bits. But all the macho stuff around it and the way the talked about his criminal behaviour I thought was poorly done. If Genge wants to do well for others through his career and I believe he does. He needs to reflect on his tough up bringing but dont continue to project this tough Gangster image I just find it all very childish.

Carr comes from a much tougher back ground and he made reference to gun crime and people being shot. But contrast his behaviours and the way he talks about it that is a lot more educational in an appropriate way..not laughing because of the numerous GBH you had and how you continue to threaten people and act a mug now.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2020, 11:02:54 AM »
Completely agree about Genge. He's not quite the player some portray but every time he makes 2 yards you'd think he'd gone the length of the pitch. As for Haskell it's all a bit sad. He earned a good living from Wasps and should have just left it at that.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2020, 11:22:11 AM »
Haskell said this in the Joe - House of Rugby podcast. He does get a little dig in at Wasps every now and again via it the podcast so he obviously does feel a bit bitter .

I agree with you Brandnewtorugby.. Employers in the real commercial world very rarely keep in touch with employees and vice versa but its good, where possible, to keep things amicable, but sometimes its just not possible.. especially if one side starts mouthing off.

It was interesting to hear what he said about player health insurance and that the insurance companies do  whatever they can to not pay out by using "pre-existing condition" clauses

He had to stop playing because of his toe injury but because he started his Saints season with the injury carried  over from his last wasps season.. the insurance company wouldn't pay out

« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 11:30:40 AM by BG »

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 11:27:46 AM »
He doesn't help himself by having digs at the club, at the hierarchy. He's made his bed.

While disappointing that he had to retire, it shows the Wasps were right not to offer him a new contract if they knew he was hampered by injury. Though it does make me wonder how he passed his Saints physical before signing.

Chilham

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 11:29:17 AM »
It's such a shame that some players leave clubs in such a way that tarnishes their reputation.  Squeeky, Ryan, Powell, Daly, hell, even Simon Shaw.  Such a stalwart of the club, yet the nature of his departure still rankles with me.  It's not always their fault, and we truly never know the full story, but surely it's in everyone's interest just to move on and keep your mouth shut.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 12:12:15 PM »
Agree entirely! Even if silence could be considered damning, it's better than deliberately stirring.

In Shaw's defence, he took a great opportunity. It just wasn't handled well and was particularly unfortunate timing. Everything that happened afterwards just made it worse.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 12:13:30 PM »
I'll say what I feel on this - having never met many of the players.

If Haskell wanted to give back and be (therefore) recognised he would have looked to an appropriate playing contract (less £ perhaps) and looked to have done his coaching badges and contribute. But the impression from the sidelines - is that for Wasps and England, he was an effective player - but especially when not too much thinking was involved....indeed did really well to be in the England squad to 2018...But he seems to have expected to be chased after.

But its up to him to keep the comms in place and set a path to a future relationship. But if he was looking for ego burnishing....sorry but no player is bigger than the club (again, that's only an impression from afar)

Re the non playing world, my employment was an area where the pool of people wasn't vast and I worked for the same organisation twice and kept in touch as the subject area was the same in all 4 main jobs I had as an adult - so it was a bit like sports....with common transfers/offers - which for me at least - meant keeping relationships positive even if you were leaving! But I realise that's not the same in all areas of work. I'm still going out for drinks with people from the last place, even though now freelance

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2020, 04:00:31 PM »
I am reminded of the Oscar Wilde quote:
“Love me or hate me but please don’t ignore me.”

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2020, 04:09:22 PM »
Personally, I was never a great fan of Haskell. Thought he was a bit of a gym monkey who didn't have a natural rugby brain. I'm not bothered if he's feeling a bit put out.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2020, 04:41:35 PM »
He doesn't help himself by having digs at the club, at the hierarchy. He's made his bed.

While disappointing that he had to retire, it shows the Wasps were right not to offer him a new contract if they knew he was hampered by injury. Though it does make me wonder how he passed his Saints physical before signing.

I think he said he was on a small contract at Saints, might be they took a risk in case he recovered. He did play some for them.

Willie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2020, 05:42:52 PM »
First time I watched House of Rugby on YouTube I thought “Ha! Good banter”.

Second time it was more “Hmm… Same banter. Bit obnoxious.”

Third time “Jeesh! Does Haskell just repeat the same shite over and over?”

Now I only have to hear his name and my auto-response is “Dickhead”.

He likes to big himself up as the life and soul, I can’t believe being around him for prolonged periods isn’t anything but tedious.