Always a Wasp

Author Topic: 'They got caught but didn't even apologise': Daily Telegraph today and tomorrow.  (Read 12252 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
so according to Brad Barret, if they go down they would hope to keep the team intact, wolf pack spirit and all that BS, so surely
(don't call me Shirley) when they are promoted they will still be over the cap, it beggars belief what is going through their minds.

paragraph in DM report today states that salary cap still applies to a PRL shareholder club down in the championship. if true Sarries would still have to get rid of players more or less straightaway rather than hanging on till end of next season

Saw that and wondered.  Seems to contradict other statements.
Let me tell you something cucumber

MarleyWasp

Would be a terrible shame if Saracens win every game with a bonus point then get docked 35 points for more salary cap breaches and miss out on promotion...

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
so according to Brad Barret, if they go down they would hope to keep the team intact, wolf pack spirit and all that BS, so surely
(don't call me Shirley) when they are promoted they will still be over the cap, it beggars belief what is going through their minds.

paragraph in DM report today states that salary cap still applies to a PRL shareholder club down in the championship. if true Sarries would still have to get rid of players more or less straightaway rather than hanging on till end of next season

Saw that and wondered.  Seems to contradict other statements.
Im not sure they are accurate in that statement.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
It may be a criteria for promotion. 
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
As I understand it the salary cap rules allow PRL to impose a cap reduction on Saracens. I suggest every pound they were over for the last two should be a pound reduction for the next 2 seasons.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
BREAKING

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/51164177

Premiership Rugby have confirmed that champions Saracens will be relegated to the Championship this season as a result of salary cap breaches.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Poor Elliot, jumped on the gravy train just as it hit the buffers

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Tthe Saracens Wikipedia entry starts:

Saracens Football Club (/ˈsærəsənz/) are an English professional rugby union football club based in London, England. Established in 1876, they play in Premiership Rugby, the top level of domestic rugby union in England, where they are the reigning champions and have won the title five times.

However earlier today someone had been in and changed it to:

Saracens Football Club (/ ˈ s ær ə s ən z /) are an English professional rugby union football club based in London, England. Established in 1876, they play in Premiership Rugby, the top level of domestic rugby union in England, where they are the reigning cheats and have bought the title five times.

It has now been changed back

Heathen

• View Profile
Time to ringfence the Prem next season?!!!

Marlovian

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
My son (far more knowledgeable than me) tells me regulations were introduced last season so that, in order to be promoted from the championship, a team needs to show compliance with the salary cap for 2 seasons - the season of promotion and the season prior.

He seems to think that the EAs will therefore be in the championship for at least 2 seasons. Can anyone confirm (or counter) this?

AndyL

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
I have seen tweets that can confirm that this is true. However all the regs are supposedly being looked into at present.

https://twitter.com/stricky1983/status/1218627001646567425?s=09
That's the link to the tweet.
Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 09:06:22 PM by AndyL »

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
I share some of your sentiments Old Geezer. But I feel this has righted the ship that has been listing for a while. Everyone in, around or interested in the game knew they were cheating. This has now resulted in an appropriate sanction. We can now get on with watching the game we all love. I have no sympathy at all for Saracens. Repeatedly breaking the cap threatened the game in so many ways - let's hope no-one else goes down that route following this.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
My son (far more knowledgeable than me) tells me regulations were introduced last season so that, in order to be promoted from the championship, a team needs to show compliance with the salary cap for 2 seasons - the season of promotion and the season prior.

He seems to think that the EAs will therefore be in the championship for at least 2 seasons. Can anyone confirm (or counter) this?

Taken from the full salary cap documentation for 18/19 season

"Promoted Club" means any rugby union football club who in the 2018-19 Salary Cap Year wins promotion from the Championship, being the league in the English Clubs'
championship operating immediately under the [Aviva] Premiership;

15.2 A Promoted Club shall provide copies of its Declaration for the 2018-19 Salary Cap Year and
its Certification for the 2017-18 Salary Cap Year as required under Regulations 4.2 and 4.3.
Sections 4.2 and 4.3 are the regulations about being under salary cap etc.

So, when Bristol were promoted at the end of 18/19, they had to prove to the salary cap manager that they were below the cap that season, and the season before as well to be eligible to join the premiership

Therefore, assuming the law is still the same, at the end of 20/21, Saracens would need to prove that they were below the premiership salary cap that year, and also below it in 19/20 - i.e. this year

Wow!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
The RFU regulations state that the rules for promotion and relegation are circulated to the clubs for that year.

I would dearly love them to be there for a year for every year they cheated the rest of us, but I doubt it will happen.