Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Congratulations  (Read 6989 times)

BdeB

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Congratulations
« on: January 18, 2020, 10:23:44 PM »
Congratulations to all at the club on securing Premiership survival after only 8 rounds!
In seriousness there is talk of most clubs having already done their recruiting for next year and so not being able to pick up Sarries players. IF we have Lima and Brad coming off the books we might be one club that could sign up some players. 

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Congratulations
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2020, 10:33:38 PM »
Would you really take any players with the attitude of their senior squad.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 10:49:14 PM »
Even with our back row riches I'd take Earl. And Kpoku too

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2020, 11:56:50 PM »
Kpoku has already signed for Saints. But can’t see Sarries letting any of their youngsters go... they need to rebuild with them as the big earns will need to be offloaded.

I am very bitter towards Sarries and I too don’t like their attitude on the pitch as a squad. However, let’s not taint every player with the judgement that their attitude stinks. It’s the environment and collective that drives the approach. I think we’d be foolish to rule out a number of their players. Who’s to say they wouldn’t slot into out environment and embrace our ethos.

I would certainly hope Dai is taking a hard look at their squad and trying to identify any potential candidates that fit the bill. After all, we’re supposedly one of the only clubs not operating up to the cap so perhaps have more flexibility than others... budget depending.

Lewington, Loz and Iseikwe would be my shortlist

Wiltshire Wasp

• Loving Coventry
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 08:01:41 AM »
“I am very bitter towards Sarries and I too don’t like their attitude on the pitch as a squad. However, let’s not taint every player with the judgement that their attitude stinks. It’s the environment and collective that drives the approach. I think we’d be foolish to rule out a number of their players. Who’s to say they wouldn’t slot into out environment and embrace our ethos.”

I agree.
“In a world full of Kardashians be an Audrey”.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2020, 08:08:02 AM »
According to the TRP none are rumoured to be on the way to us. Fissler even tweeted last night to a thought that some could come to Wasps that Wasps can't afford any of them. Hohum.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2020, 08:27:58 AM »
Not having room in the cap to bring in additional players at this stage of the season or even for next season is not unique to Wasps from what I hear. Possibly the only club who might be able to benefit and pick up some pieces are Newcastle on their repromotion.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2020, 09:07:54 AM »
But Goode on the Rugby Pod says Wasps are no where near the cap?

Out of all current teams in the prem I'd have thought we aren't anywhere near the cap and could sign a couple (not necessarily Sarries) players if we choose too.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2020, 09:12:46 AM »
Yesterday at the fan forum it was stated we are close to, but not at, the cap. Also it was said that a few clubs don't have any marquee players - we have two.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2020, 09:19:32 AM »
Yesterday at the fan forum it was stated we are close to, but not at, the cap. Also it was said that a few clubs don't have any marquee players - we have two.

What logic would there be to not have any marquee players.

1 spot is for an overseas player.
So I can see that if a club hasn't signed anyone from overseas recently they may not be using that marquee spot.

The other spot though is for (paraphrasing) a player in the squad that's been with the team over X years (I think it's 2, but may be 3 years).
I would have thought that every club would have someone that meets this criteria

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2020, 09:21:59 AM »
There have been no announcements about relegation other than Sarries.  I would like it confirmed that there will be no relegation for the team that comes bottom ignoring Sarries position.

We, including me, have assumed that there would be no other relegation but I would just like that confirmed.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2020, 09:28:21 AM »

What logic would there be to not have any marquee players.

1 spot is for an overseas player.
So I can see that if a club hasn't signed anyone from overseas recently they may not be using that marquee spot.

The other spot though is for (paraphrasing) a player in the squad that's been with the team over X years (I think it's 2, but may be 3 years).
I would have thought that every club would have someone that meets this criteria

Theoretically at least Marquee players are not the same as salary cap "excluded players". Whilst it is possible that a club might not have signed any players from outside the Premiership at all it does seem unlikely, especially as a player can maintain that status year on year if they had it when they were first signed.  So assuming Lima was our external excluded player last year, he could continue to be so this year and assuming he stays with us and we sign no-one else on a higher salary then he could stay that way all his Wasps career. Of course if he were to leave then that place would then have to be filled by a new signing from outside the league
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Marlovian

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2020, 09:42:45 AM »
There have been no announcements about relegation other than Sarries.  I would like it confirmed that there will be no relegation for the team that comes bottom ignoring Sarries position.

We, including me, have assumed that there would be no other relegation but I would just like that confirmed.

Yes, I'd quite like this to be clarified.

I spent many years helping to administer a cricket league and we followed the ECB's "model discipline regulations". These allow for relegation of a team for misconduct. When (only once fortunately) this cropped up we still relegated the bottom team at the end of the season as this was as expected by the other clubs. We promoted 2 from the lower division to compensate. Big difference I know between the Premiership and a local cricket league but......

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2020, 10:05:08 AM »
IF there were to be 2 teams relegated, then, assuming Falcons get promoted, another would also come up. How many have grounds that meet PRL requirements? Wouldn't one of the relegated clubs have to sell their PRL shares to that other club?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2020, 10:23:24 AM »
On the cap issue I'd rather we used any leeway we have in offering big contracts to Willis and Umaga. Looks like Sarries have got to shed approx £2m so that probably equates to five or six players so it may not be the free for all it's being portrayed as.