Always a Wasp

Author Topic: To (try to) win, or to Blood  (Read 4273 times)

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: To (try to) win, or to Blood
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2020, 03:30:20 PM »
Cruise is rumoured to be off, with Bristol interested although that’s gone a little quiet
Rebuked by Coventrylive so lets see.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2020, 03:41:29 PM »
It doesn't have to be either/or

I think we ought to be playing our best side - allowing for rotation - injury and form

For me it does little good to send out naive teams "to get experience" when the experience is likely to be getting tonked.....

The side in some sort of form includes quite a lot of younger players, but we need to be able imo to have bench support for younger players starting so that we don't compound any "bad days".

And as for the fans - I think we ought to be biased towards winning as its not like we've been overwhelmed with good games and victories so far....

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2020, 03:51:44 PM »
I'm not sure we have the luxury of defining either. I'd settle for a team that knows how to play rugby...whoever that may be

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2020, 04:12:37 PM »
We saw which team it was not on Saturday, hope we have the originals and not the tribute act for the Worcester match.

I think the league has to be played as if the Sarries thing never happened, pick on form and play like we could go down.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2020, 04:20:27 PM »
We saw which team it was not on Saturday, hope we have the originals and not the tribute act for the Worcester match.

I think the league has to be played as if the Sarries thing never happened, pick on form and play like we could go down.

We have to if we have any hope of the Big Euro Competition
Let me tell you something cucumber

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2020, 05:52:29 PM »

+1 - the players have to blank it out and get on with the job
It was fine when I left it.....

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2020, 06:46:53 PM »
By happy coincidence I think the strongest team or youth conundrum is becoming a non issue due to our youngsters now being the best players. Umaga, West, Wolstenholme, Flament and Oghre have all been pushing hard for nailed on starting places. So I think if we play our strongest team the integration of youth happens naturally.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2020, 07:11:53 AM »
.....and with some Senior players not firing on all cylinders should we:

My comment would be, which senior players aren't firing on all cylinders

Fair point.  Perhaps an over-exaggeration on my part.  I guess primarily I’m referring to Sops and Robson.  Fekitoa looks to have begun to be more comfortable and making an impact in games.  If we could figure out 9, 10 and 12 it should make a big difference.

Like you, I’m pretty happy with the pack.  A little more grunt/physicality in the second row would be nice, but Thibaut for a relatively slim lock tends to make yards, is athletic and has good hands so perhaps a big lump isn’t as neccessary as I think if we play like the Wasps of old.

Back 3 are fine for me, some good options there for us. 

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2020, 12:49:42 PM »
I don't think it matters who we play, its more about how they play.

Last weekends game was embarrassingly bad, the weekend before looked pretty good. The spine of the two teams wasn't massively different & as others have said, it looks as though if the youngsters are playing well, then they will get picked.