Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Quins Sarries  (Read 5523 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Quins Sarries
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2020, 08:32:47 PM »
OK, I’ve got to ask, forgive my ignorance....EA’s ?

Estate Agents

Thanks.....I was guessing at English Africans.

It's where Rugby players go when they want a house.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2020, 09:56:31 PM »
It would be nice if we could do the same to them when they come to the Ricoh next month!

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2020, 09:32:12 AM »
The cynic in me thinks that the $arri€$ will use the defeat to push the "look, take away our internationals and we're like everyone else" line.

I have a distinct feeling that there will be less spinning when England tour Sri Lanka than there will be coming out of Copthall stadium. (it was Copthall stadium when I was at school, it'll remain Copthall stadium).

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2020, 09:35:20 AM »
Quick mental count (without checking) glancing at both teams I'd still say Sarries fielded more internationals than Quins yesterday, despite so many being away with England.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2020, 09:48:38 AM »
Did anyone hear what Jackson Wray said to the ref before he appointed Vunipola as Captain for the final few minutes?

I’ve re-listed a few times and couldn’t make it out.  He comes over and has a mini-spat with Robshaw before he gets sent packing.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2020, 09:57:24 AM »
I don't think he said anything. The ref asked him to step away (from the physical handbags), and he didn't. Ignore the ref, and the ref then concluded he needed to ignore him. So he arbitrarily appointed a new captain with whom he could speak. He simply picked someone who had the good sense not to get involved.

Whether he will get cited for it, I doubt it. Whether Sarries will sanction him for it, I also doubt it. Will he be given the captain's position again? Possibly not.

Captains have to be virtually unflappable. For example, you would not make players like Cips or WLR captain. In that respect, Joe is a good choice for us.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2020, 11:55:28 AM »
Captains have to be virtually unflappable. For example, you would not make players like Cips or WLR captain. In that respect, Joe is a good choice for us.

Agree fully with that point, would also like to add (and explore) whether there are enough leaders at Wasps.

Launch is definitely a leader, Dobby and YY also being named co-captains.

Would argue our squad is full of leaders, Gask (at Sale), Shields (Canes) are proven. Jack looks a real leader and club captain for the future, Gopps always is one of the first to put his hand up and his experience helps us so much. Would also say that with AJ and Mac, we have some proper clubmen.

Also like how Wasps have used the A-team to give the captaincy to some of the academy lads, first point being that they’ll be playing more of the games than the first teamers who are using the A team and a way to get some game time, but (especially in Oghre’s case) they’ll have some real experience of leading a very diverse group of players in a competitive match. Think both Willis’ have been given that role in the past and Jack has shown how fruitful that can be.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2020, 12:16:52 PM »
Would argue our squad is full of leaders, Gask (at Sale), Shields (Canes) are proven. Jack looks a real leader and club captain for the future, Gopps always is one of the first to put his hand up and his experience helps us so much. Would also say that with AJ and Mac, we have some proper clubmen.

Would argue any of those over Dan and Tom. We were spoilt in the past with having Lol but need someone who can, politely, be on the Refs case when it is needed.
Let me tell you something cucumber

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2020, 12:33:59 PM »
I guess even the player with the c next to their name doesn’t have to necessarily be the biggest voice with everyone else in the team (Joe being clear), I do like Dobby as a captain as (like all 9s) he’s always in the refs ear but would like to see someone really get the ref on side (AWJ is a good example)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2020, 01:43:56 PM »
I have to admit with RefLink I rarely hear Dan and would like someone a tad more assertive. I also wonder if it impacts on his play a little - although he says he enjoys the responsibility

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2020, 02:20:12 PM »
Yes, that part of being a captain is the hardest. Fit and fast enough to be where the ref is. For me that rules out the front five of any team.

Generalyl expected to play near the action most of the time. Numbers 6 through 10. 11+ too far away.

Be able to stand back and see what is going on. The scrum half is too busy. My ideal selections would be either 8 or 10. 6 or 7 at a push.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2020, 02:41:11 PM »
I have to admit with RefLink I rarely hear Dan and would like someone a tad more assertive. I also wonder if it impacts on his play a little - although he says he enjoys the responsibility

Funny that, both my wife and I have commented that, on Reflink, how much more Dan talks to the ref than Joe.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2020, 03:00:20 PM »

Funny that, both my wife and I have commented that, on Reflink, how much more Dan talks to the ref than Joe.

Weird as both my other half and I have commented that it is only with Ashley we hear the Ref being queried when Launch is away. Must be our hearing.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2020, 03:13:25 PM »
Oh yes, during the matches, if Ash is captain, I hear him a lot. Which reminds me, we haven't see much of him recently?

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2020, 05:00:30 PM »
Getting the ref on side and being in his ear are only part of being a leader. That is the captaincy part but we also need those who inspire the troops and who lead by example and someone with the ability and authority to change what's happening on the pitch when required. Doesn't have to be the same person but has to be allowed that responsibility and work with Capt and the team