Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Dai chopped??  (Read 30082 times)

Little Potts

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Dai chopped??
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2020, 03:12:40 PM »
Interim implies he’s coming back, at least in some capacity. The abruptness of it may suggest that the club itself wasn’t aware until yesterday and perhaps it’s under doctors orders?  Revealing personal details is entirely up to Dai and maybe he himself is only just coming to terms with whatever it is and is not ready to provide more detail.  Let’s let him get on with it, wish him well and get behind Lee until we hear otherwise.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2020, 03:14:26 PM »
The spin in the local news media is that it is a consequence of the poor results.

Alec Blackman (a local BBC radio presenter who reports on rugby) said:

' ...  results show that, of their last 46 games in all competitions, Wasps have won just 13 under Young's stewardship.'

Couldn't do much more in the most recent game - a 5 bonus point win away.

I think that was welcome - obviously. But just like the hype around England's win vs NZ and the widespread criticism about England's game vs France - its too easy to get too focused on individual games.

For Wasps - we've won 13 from 31 Prem games to the start of last season. Which is one less win than in 2017/18 alone (14w 1d from 22)
So you'd probably expect questions?

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2020, 03:19:48 PM »
I don't buy the 'results' thing. The club would have their ducks in a row before the announcement, especially as he has stepped back in the interim.  If they were replacing him for results, but planning on having him stay on then surely they would have waited until his replacement was ready to be announced. 

Obviously it could be the options were put to Dai and he walked, but then again you would have thought that there wouldn't be any mention of 'interim' with regards to him stepping back.  He would have been announced as leaving the club.

This feels more sudden and unplanned. 

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2020, 03:27:45 PM »
The unfortunate thing here is that the story has effectively been leaked with assumpted and 2 + 2's, I doubt this was the plan by club or Dai.
Club's don't do interim, they either get rid or they don't...and they also plan things better than this shower, so my guess is it's something more personal and we should assume less and wait for more info if and when it's provided.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2020, 04:02:32 PM »
Sadly the Coventry Telegraph is getting carried away, following its photo-history of Dai when they even got the Worcester match result the wrong way round, they are now on to No. 7 in the list of who's next for the job.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2020, 04:04:32 PM »
At least they haven't (yet) brought up Jones or Townsend as options. But wait .....
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 11, 2020, 04:47:02 PM »
Sadly the Coventry Telegraph is getting carried away, following its photo-history of Dai when they even got the Worcester match result the wrong way round, they are now on to No. 7 in the list of who's next for the job.

No mention of Mark McCall ::)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2020, 05:00:31 PM »

No mention of Mark McCall ::)

Wash your mouth out!  NOW.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2020, 06:25:41 PM »
Very sad news.

Dai is a top bloke and a credit to the club.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2020, 06:54:17 PM »
All very odd this isn't it. Three main possibilities for me. 1) He's simply been sacked and there is a wrangle over the terms of the departure given he's mid contract. So he's not technically been dismissed yet hence the interim piece. 2) I think it's long been a plan to move Dai upstairs and have a head coach move in. This could be this playing out but if this was it I can't see the announcements would be done in such a ham fisted way. 3) It's a health issue and he's just stepping back for a while before re-taking control. It could be one or three for me. Sincerely hope it's not three from Dai's point of view. However I'd also be really disappointed if he has been dismissed as I personally think he has and continues to do a fantastic job.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 11, 2020, 07:01:10 PM »
Rule out 1). With no pressure there is no need to act/react in this manner, time is on both your sides.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 11, 2020, 07:07:54 PM »
Agree to some extent but it seems to have snowballed from the bizarre nature of the press day which led reporters to dig around. Maybe Dai had just been told? I do think it's more likely to be a health issue which is why there is a lack of follow up information - which is totally understandable.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 11, 2020, 07:09:26 PM »
All very odd this isn't it. Three main possibilities for me. 1) He's simply been sacked and there is a wrangle over the terms of the departure given he's mid contract. So he's not technically been dismissed yet hence the interim piece. 2) I think it's long been a plan to move Dai upstairs and have a head coach move in. This could be this playing out but if this was it I can't see the announcements would be done in such a ham fisted way. 3) It's a health issue and he's just stepping back for a while before re-taking control. It could be one or three for me. Sincerely hope it's not three from Dai's point of view. However I'd also be really disappointed if he has been dismissed as I personally think he has and continues to do a fantastic job.

I cannot see it is #2. The replacement would have also been announced.
I also cannot see it is #1, as the HR 'way' is always to pay off the contract and ask them to leave now.
It might be #3, but they would have said so.

I think it is #4. He got re-involved in coaching when the deal with Danny Wilson fell through. He probably didn't want to do that and said so at the time, and he has simply had enough. My guess is that Wasps have a head coach lined up. If it was Howley, there would be nothing to stop Wasps from saying that. Something this weekend may have triggered it. Maybe Scotland are having second thoughts about their coaching setup? Maybe they have withdrawn the Glasgow offer to Wilson? Something has kicked off in the background that has enabled Wasps to do this now.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 11, 2020, 07:31:58 PM »
Could it not be that if it is Howley then there might be a problem with announcing him before his ban finishes, in case it might be seen that he has transgressed the terms of the ban?

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 11, 2020, 07:48:06 PM »
For me.....

I just can’t see that Dai is moving up stairs in mid season and before his Head Coach replacement has been announced.

The absence of a Wasps statement is leading to Dai obituaries and headlines that he has been axed. The communications vacuum is not the way to treat the next DOR or someone who is staying with the club.

It is quite normal for there to be silence until the terms of a compromise agreement are agreed.

I hope I’m wrong though.