Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Dai chopped??  (Read 30088 times)

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Dai chopped??
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2020, 11:13:44 AM »
so, again, apart from a "well placed source" (journo speak for making stuff up!!) there's nothing of any substance in there that hasn't already been discussed on here.

The longer the silence from the club goes on, the more confusing it becomes.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2020, 11:16:50 AM »
So there's lots of legal talk about purely rugby results, whilst our results this season have been on the up overall and the club decided to cause all this disruption just 4 days before a big game when they could have done it weeks ago?

Sounds like everyone is still guessing.

WickedWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2020, 01:13:22 PM »
This isnt down to results. I reckon Dai has had enough of being asked to sell a narrative that is failing to he supported by the board. Cash is tight and only so long even the nicest of people can keep a straight face and speak to the media.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 12, 2020, 01:59:14 PM »
So there's lots of legal talk about purely rugby results, whilst our results this season have been on the up overall and the club decided to cause all this disruption just 4 days before a big game when they could have done it weeks ago?

Everything about this suggests it was sudden. Given the meeting with Vaughn I think it has to be either a decision of Dai's overruled by the board or a board decision not accepted by Dai.

Given the rumours, my guess is that it is related to a new coach signing.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 12, 2020, 03:10:16 PM »
What if Dai had been asked to take a pay cut and move upstairs to enable the club to sign a new head coach?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2020, 03:51:03 PM »
What if Dai had been asked to take a pay cut and move upstairs to enable the club to sign a new head coach?

Surely Dai has a contract until 2023?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2020, 03:52:21 PM »

This is what continues to confuse me about the whole thing

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2020, 04:02:05 PM »
The whole thing is puzzling but what, to me, is unforgivable is Wasps give the local paper a simple statement (which can be twisted every which way by hack journalists) but issue diddly squat to their paying STHs. Tonight there is a BT On Tour programme from Broadstreet and I would have expected something before that hits the air (albeit it is probably mainly pre-recorded). It is all very strange.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Davidabricot

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 12, 2020, 04:21:30 PM »
It reminds me the laste year of Cotter at Montpellier. He was 'invited' to leave the fiels and to become the rugby director. With as a mains mission to 'develop the global rugby project and to search fundings'. Most head coach can't stand the idea to be put in a closet an prefer to leave. But some stay in the club and accept a different role.

I searched for news in all the French medias, but there is nothing more than what we actually know. However, the phrasing is much more like 'Dai has been dimissed' than a personal choice to take a step back on coaching.

Rifleman Harris

• Wasps Rugby Fan and MND Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 12, 2020, 04:31:36 PM »
Seeing as it seems to be open season on baseless speculation how about this one...we can't afford to pay Dai / the money has run out so he has walked.  Completely unfounded nonsense but maybe the lack of a statement is that they are scrambling to get things in place before announcing something.  Anyway, it's back to my dark cell!

Mikeuk56

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 12, 2020, 05:33:18 PM »
We can all speculate, the media can speculate, but the bottom line, however frustrating it is for us, is that until the club issue a statement we are in the dark. Hope they issue that statement sooner than later.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 12, 2020, 09:28:19 PM »
Totally in the dark. Every tit-bit of rumour contradicts the other. One thing I do know is that just as we seem to be on something of an upturn we've thrown everything in the air again. What's also interesting is how many fans of other clubs are saying they'd happily take him.

Chilham

• View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 12, 2020, 09:40:33 PM »
The respect many supporters at other clubs have Dai speaks volumes.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 12, 2020, 09:49:06 PM »

I've been waiting to hear what the club say before I make any comments, but it doesn't look like they're in much of a rush.

I will be bitterly disappointed if he has been forced out due to results.

Now more than at any time in the sport, we've seen the consequences of focusing on results above everything else.

I don't know Dai personally and have only ever met him once in passing, however, I fully believe him to be a genuinely good guy of the highest moral fibre and with an integrity that a certain rugby club in London can only dream of.

At this time when the league and our game have been brought into disrepute by a few who focus on results above all else and care not for the spirit of competition or the sport of rugby, I would much rather have a man of honour, such as Dai, leading our club forwards and I wouldn't care whether we're winning or losing rugby games

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 12, 2020, 10:42:40 PM »
With all due respect Wasps I actually disagree with this, especially if the reasoning is solely rugby related.

Unfortunately we are in a results business and our results have steadily been getting worse with the coaches seemingly not having a backup plan as the majority on here have said after recent losses and have been worried about for a few years now and the buck stops with Dai.
Just because Dai is a nice guy and bought tape and supplies out of his own money however many years ago just can’t stack up anymore as a reason to keep him on despite very poor results.
Potentially a little harsh there I know but i strongly believe he needs a change of scenery as someone like Mallinder did, probably also a nice guy.
I wonder constantly what our squad could do under the likes of Baxter and his coaches, we just aren’t at the races since the galacticos have left and to me that’s solely down to coaching.

Of course however Dai still needs to be treated with respect if he is set for a departure and that should be the same with any departing employee.
I am also eager to hear something from the club