Always a Wasp

Author Topic: I just despair  (Read 7117 times)

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: I just despair
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2020, 06:09:44 PM »
I was expecting a performance like this. I was hoping we would do better. Based on what I saw, if Sarries were not going down, we would have been. To expect it is not to excuse it.

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2020, 06:10:03 PM »
There is a lot to be optimistic about. Good quality youngsters coming through, it is these that the team (and ticket sales) should be built around.

Chance to change our fortunes with a new coaching team. No relegation this year and possible ringfencing next gives us time to rebuild.

The kids need a chance to build experience, the new coaching outfit need a chance to turn things around. This feels like a pivotal moment.

Now the decision has been taken we need to be patient as supporters and accept it may take a step backwards before we can take two steps forwards.

I'm not interested in spending energy lamenting those who don't want to commit to the cause. They can just go, free up some cap for someone who wants to sign, or open the pathway for more of our promising youngsters to come through in a virtually zero pressure situation.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2020, 06:12:03 PM »
Just looked I think my first email about season tickets last year was on 23rd February.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2020, 06:14:09 PM »
Intrigued as to what folks were expecting today. A storm and a head coach gone. Then we're at Welford Rd which consistently delivers the most home centric officiating you'll ever see. It was never going to be anything but a slug fest coming down to one or two moments. It did serve as a warning regards Umaga. He's not the finished article yet and we need to retain Sopoaga for next year to give Umaga space to develop in a non pressured way.

I agree with all that except Sops. He's not value for money and I'd rather watch Umaga learn. We do need another FH unless we can rely on Gopps and Miller + academy for rotation.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2020, 06:15:19 PM »
Hymenoptera,

I was referring to Sops and Tibo.
Well id say whilst they are merely rumours and loose ones at that they are not worth worrying about. Improving what we have is the issue and the board have moved to improve that. First step taken, let's see whats next.
Shugs, have to say i fancied this one with them missing their players. Whilst welford rd is a hard place to win, conditions affected both teams and it was our play that ultimately lost us the game, like inability to effect a maul and total breakdown of lineout. Totally agree on Umaga and mentioned in the game thread, he has a bit to learn but not sure we need exactly what we have

MarleyWasp

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2020, 06:15:57 PM »
I said after the Edinburgh home game I would need to see a change in direction if I were to renew my season ticket. Looks like the change is happening, although I'd like to know which direction we're heading in.

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2020, 06:22:25 PM »
Agree with a lot of what others have said above....

Today was always going to be a tough game for multiple reasons that others have outlined. So a loss is disappointing but not unsurprising.

I am more in despair at the Dai situation than the result. Not that he’s seemingly gone (though I am a Dai fan) but more how it’s been done. At least when Leicester parted ways with Cockers it was clear cut and official. This has been nothing but a mess!!

However.... it’s got me thinking why now, why so abrupt and rushed? Either Dai has walked due to a specific instance, liking missing out on a key signing for budget reasons.... OR.... an individual has become available to replace Dai and the club didn’t want to miss out on this guy like we did Shaun Edwards and Borthwick.

So I’m hoping something really positive is going to come out of this mess of a situation that we’re all despairing over.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2020, 06:30:42 PM »
Now, because we have time to find the right person who also has time to plan his own methods and recruitment. Bigger question is why not now.
I dont think its a mess at all. There are legalities regarding his contract to work out i'd guess. Whilst we might like to know immediately, it isn't our given right, it has only been a few days.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2020, 06:37:48 PM »
Intrigued as to what folks were expecting today. A storm and a head coach gone. Then we're at Welford Rd which consistently delivers the most home centric officiating you'll ever see. It was never going to be anything but a slug fest coming down to one or two moments. It did serve as a warning regards Umaga. He's not the finished article yet and we need to retain Sopoaga for next year to give Umaga space to develop in a non pressured way.

It's not the loss, it's the manner of the loss.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2020, 06:38:45 PM »
Lol said within a couple of days there would be a statement to answer fans questions and I suppose as a director he should know.

As far as a replacement is concerned, if there is to be one, then I suspect it might take a little while due to contracts etc.

However it needs sorting before ST go on sale.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rory87

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2020, 06:44:25 PM »
Now, because we have time to find the right person who also has time to plan his own methods and recruitment. Bigger question is why not now.
I dont think its a mess at all. There are legalities regarding his contract to work out i'd guess. Whilst we might like to know immediately, it isn't our given right, it has only been a few days.

My issue with it is why was this not all sorted out behind closed doors before Dai actually stepped down. I’m struggling to think of another instance of a coach being ‘sacked’ where the club actually didn’t announce it and take days to release a statement. I appreciate legals and contracts need to be sorted... so why was that not the case in the Cockerill or Mallinder instance?
I’m really intrigued as to what will come out in the statement to explain why the club are radio silent.

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2020, 06:48:40 PM »
Doubt if the statement will say anything other than we have parted ways, thanks to Dai for years of service. A further announcement re coaching structure will be made in due course.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2020, 06:49:12 PM »

It's not the loss, it's the manner of the loss.
I understand and share the frustration. Prior to today we'd started scoring tries again and found some fluency. That was never going to be possible today. I think we have to factor in the DY situation. It had to be unsettling. I'm willing to write this one off to circumstances but we need to get back on the upward curve we were on.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2020, 06:53:32 PM »
Hymenoptera,

I was referring to Sops and Tibo.
Well id say whilst they are merely rumours and loose ones at that they are not worth worrying about. Improving what we have is the issue and the board have moved to improve that. First step taken, let's see whats next.
Shugs, have to say i fancied this one with them missing their players. Whilst welford rd is a hard place to win, conditions affected both teams and it was our play that ultimately lost us the game, like inability to effect a maul and total breakdown of lineout. Totally agree on Umaga and mentioned in the game thread, he has a bit to learn but not sure we need exactly what we have
I never fancy winning at Welford Rd. Seen too many ludicrous decisions there. But I agree it was our play that cost us today. We've been missing a clinical edge for most of the season apart from the last few games which makes this one disappointing. But once Dennis arrived and Tigers just went size mode I think the writing was on the wall.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2020, 07:02:33 PM »

My issue with it is why was this not all sorted out behind closed doors before Dai actually stepped down. I’m struggling to think of another instance of a coach being ‘sacked’ where the club actually didn’t announce it and take days to release a statement. I appreciate legals and contracts need to be sorted... so why was that not the case in the Cockerill or Mallinder instance?
I’m really intrigued as to what will come out in the statement to explain why the club are radio silent.
We dont know that Dai hasn't requested to leave, the point is we don't know. I'm sure the club are't being secretive for no reason and will issue a statement when they can, a bit like when Wade did the offskies.