Always a Wasp

Author Topic: New DOR Options?  (Read 16640 times)

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
New DOR Options?
« on: February 16, 2020, 08:07:40 AM »
So we now know that Dai is not moving upstairs and it's unlikely Blackett will take over long term so with that in mind who's available that would be acceptable to Wasps supporters?

I would expect Lee to see out the rest of this season so whoever takes over from Dai may not be available now but will be come the summer.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: New DOR Options?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2020, 08:12:32 AM »
TRP today suggests Worsley with Alex King declined us to stay where he is (Brive). Wasps have apparently shown interest in Walder. Makes the point that withDai on £350k per year it will be a massive payout. The piece only says Worzel "could" so pinch of salt time.

In other news everyone else signing players with Loz Bath bound.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 08:25:28 AM by Neils »
Let me tell you something cucumber

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2020, 08:19:21 AM »
Worzel and Kinga. I would be very happy with those two. Wasps DNA. Kinga won the Top 14 with Clermont. Worzel did well at Bordeaux.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2020, 08:26:52 AM »
Sorry re-read my post and now corrected. King has decided to stay with Brive. Also the Worsley headline looks like click bait only but we can wish.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2020, 08:30:44 AM »
I don't think Wurzel is clickbait.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2020, 08:36:48 AM »
I don't think Wurzel is clickbait.

No I said the headline to the article is. It basically says nothing about him and us. The only content is how much Dai will cost to be shown the door and that we are interested in Walder.

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 08:45:05 AM »
I want a DoR with some 'fire', Dai in recent years became more and more subdued in terms of demeanour and when interviewed. Blackett seems to be more of the same. Love or loathe a DoR like Steve Diamond but that is what Wasps need (IMO) right now, someone who can get the squad playing to their potential and making the players accountable for their on field performance and attitude. On paper we should have overcome Tigers yesterday, however there seemed to be very little spark or passion, Willis, Dobbie and Young aside.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 08:53:09 AM by RBB »
It was fine when I left it.....

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2020, 08:56:32 AM »
Rassie Erasmus was in the country when it all kicked off......

RBB

• It’s like trying to tackle a snooker table!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2020, 09:02:02 AM »
So was Cheika doing some of the 6N punditry, yes he's very vocal/outspoken but is driven and has passion.
It was fine when I left it.....

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2020, 09:57:06 AM »
I suppose there are two parts to it. If it was just open season and you could pick anyone I'd be opening the chequebook for Dan Macfarland at Ulster. If it's who is available it's more difficult obviously. I'm 50:50 on Cheika and Worsley and I think we need a bigger personality than Walder.

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2020, 10:08:02 AM »
I think we need someone who the players are a bit "scared" of. By that I mean someone who will have the ability to do a  hairdryer when needs be.  It could be a Steve Diamond or a Rob Baxter type of person.  Someone with a presence whom the players also respect whilst "fearing".

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2020, 11:02:48 AM »
Not sure why Walder is even in the running unless it is just about him joining the coaching team, Blackett has more experience and sucess as a coach.

Hoping a DOR would bring in his own people,  Howley/king with Worzle would be a good mix

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2020, 11:15:26 AM »
My prediction for new Coaching set up:

DoR: Rob Howley
Defence Coach: Joe Worsley
Forwards Coach: Andy Titterrell
Backs coach: Dave Walder

My hopes are an additional forwards coach and Alex King in some capacity.

Does anyone have opinions on Worsley and Walder as coaches? I've only knowledge of the sport from past 5 years, I know Walder was head coach when Newcastle were relegated and that's it...

Chilham

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2020, 11:49:54 AM »
Of those touted to be in the frame, I'd be fine with Schmidt or Worsel.  I could see Howley working under Dai, but not as DoR.  Neither Lancaster, nor o'Shea are right for the club at this time.  Blackett will live or die on results over the next few weeks.  On yesterday's performance, he's pretty much DOA to my mind.  I'm undecided on Cockerill, maybe too long an adversary.  Just please all the powers that be, not Cheika.  I couldn't live with that.

As for the rest of the coaching set-up, it would be good to have the continuity that Titterall brings, and the connection with the club's history that Kinga or Walder have.  That said, LBND has no credentials.  I'm always wary of spillover credibility.  Great captain and club stalwart, but not as DoR (remember Martin Johnson as England Head Coach).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2020, 11:51:55 AM by Chilham »

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2020, 12:41:35 PM »
Has Laurence any coaching qualifications, let alone experience?

I wonder if the reported Howley situation is tied into his past work with Dai, and now Dai has gone will he want/be wanted to come?

We need to appoint a strong DoR and then allow them to appoint the coaching team they want, not who we want. As far as I am concerned the DoR doesn't need to be a "big" name, just someone who can do the job.

As much as I would like it if Worsely plus King or Walder were to come could they actually work together?