Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Dobby reveals scale of shock among Wasps players following Dai Young's removal  (Read 7700 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Take the point about the article maybe only representing half of what was said. However, from the few snippets available what is emerging is that we don't have someone else lined up/agreed. That really would be a cock up. On the SH point there's only really JTA who hasn't come off.

My point was really that Blackett showing no contrition, feeling no responsibility is not something you can deduce from a newspaper article in a paper that pushes it's own agenda.  I agree with what you are saying though.

It could be that Blackett actually does have his future agreed and is just "filling in".

I thought he was destined to go to Cov.

Which is what I was alluding to.
Let me tell you something cucumber

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
The Cov rumours with Blackett were before the budget cuts to the championship were announced, whether that would make a difference to a prospective Championship DOR remains to be seen.

Regarding SH signings, Dai went on record a few times recently saying how NZ signings were his ideal as would be always available and assume kolpak possible. To me Ash has been the best signing because of his longevity that is what I would look for, Piutau, Beale and WLR are obviously world class but due to their short stays in Charles’ case, or Beale being injured for most of year 1 and WLR being absent mentally or with SA in his last year they weren’t as effective as they could be.

Regarding NZ based signings Leiua was a great piece of recruitment but through no fault of his own had two years out with no busted ACLs, his father died and was away for a W.C. in that time too causing further disruption, showing his class at Bristol however.
Halai never quite panned out although I was a big fan of what he offered us but was edged out when we knew he was off.
And recently Shields, Sopoaga and JT-A just have not been value for money although for Shields his England involvement did not help him.
Fekitoa will hopefully continue to play as he has been and will be a success.

Overall I do think recruitment needs to be looked at

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
I very much agree with your assessment.

I do think that NZ players sometimes take a while to adjust, which is hard if you only sign them for a couple of years.  There have been quite a few brilliant ABs who have not hit the heights with their clubs and go at a relatively late stage in their career, whilst guys like Gopperth without any caps have done very well. I guess all signings are a risk, but I would rather an AB with a year or two in France or the UK than straight from Super rugby, if possible.

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Take the point about the article maybe only representing half of what was said. However, from the few snippets available what is emerging is that we don't have someone else lined up/agreed. That really would be a cock up. On the SH point there's only really JTA who hasn't come off.

Are you suggesting that the board should have sourced and recruited a replacement while the incumbent is still in post?

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Happy to take a step back before taking two forwards, if that's what it takes.

It was the right decision to change the DoR. The timing is odd but given this season is a free hit why wait until summer?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Are you suggesting that the board should have sourced and recruited a replacement while the incumbent is still in post?
Yes.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile

Yes.

It's posible that we approached someone about the Head Coach role and the details of that were what caused the disagreement between Dai and the board. So now we may well be in the unfortunate position of having lined someone up to work under a DOR who is no longer there and we have to rethink the whole thing.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Yes.

It's posible that we approached someone about the Head Coach role and the details of that were what caused the disagreement between Dai and the board. So now we may well be in the unfortunate position of having lined someone up to work under a DOR who is no longer there and we have to rethink the whole thing.

Unfortunately this sounds Wasp like!!

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile

Yes.

Unfortunately this sounds Wasp like!!
That has some validity to it, Dai has been reluctant to bring someone in other than Gleeson, its plausible the board wanted and injection of impetus.

Gaz

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Yes.

Blimey I thought I was cold! Fair enough, it's an approach I suppose.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Yes.

Blimey I thought I was cold! Fair enough, it's an approach I suppose.

Well, it could be just a planned approach. Looking at footie, many a manager (aka head coach/DoFootie) has been sacked with no one in mind to replace them and its not been that club's finest hour.....

Our Board might well have come to the conclusion that Dai's time as head coach was coming to a natural end (as happens to all coaches/managers/Directors of xxx) and had a plan in place that moved Dai towards another role and had identified their preferred replacement. And had done that before acting IRO of Dai. It might seem harsh. The alternatives might well be worse? (IRO Wasps as a club)

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Blackett has been told what to say & not say. So do t blame him.
Yes - many businesses - and we are one - identify a replacement before they tell & pay off the incumbent. Not doing so leaves a big gap for too long.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
PS May carried on as an ineffective PM whilst waiting for her Party to find someone even worse.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Why go full on political on Wasps coaching problems.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Lets drop the politics, not a helpful topic on a rugby forum.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here