Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps v Saracens team  (Read 3579 times)

petros

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wasps v Saracens team
« on: February 20, 2020, 12:04:14 PM »
Wasps (First-team appearances)
15 Marcus Watson (42)
14 Zach Kibirige (16)
13 Malakai Fekitoa (12)
12 Jimmy Gopperth (93)
11 Josh Bassett (116)
10 Jacob Umaga (18)
9 Dan Robson (cc) (112)
1 Ben Harris (56)
2 Tommy Taylor (63)
3 Kieran Brookes (33)
4 Charlie Matthews (25)
5 Thibaud Flament (13)
6 Jack Willis (51)
7 Thomas Young (cc) (111)
8 Brad Shields (23)

Replacements
16 Gabriel Oghre (17)
17 Tom West (21)
18 Biyi Alo (8)
19 Tim Cardall (13)
20 Nizaam Carr (53)
21 Will Porter (16)
22 Lima Sopoaga (36)
23 Michael Le Bourgeois (30)

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps v Saracens team
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2020, 12:22:26 PM »
Quite happy with that team.

Still not optimistic though. Hopefully we'll cut out the silly mistakes.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2020, 12:28:09 PM »
All Black centre Malakai Fekitoa is back in the Wasps starting line-up for the Club’s first ever Friday night Gallagher Premiership clash at Ricoh Arena against Saracens this weekend (kick-off 7.45pm).

The centre has recovered from a knee knock to start and is one of four changes to the starting line-up for Friday night.

Brad Shields gets his first start since early November as he gets the nod at number-eight alongside Jack Willis and co-captain Thomas Young in the back-row, with Nizaam Carr named on the bench. Sione Vailanu misses out with a knee problem.

In the second-row, Charlie Matthews is back in the side to step in for Wales call-up Will Rowlands, and partners Academy lock Thibaud Flament.

The front-row sees Ben Harris start for the first time since December after overcoming a shoulder knock to partner Tommy Taylor and Kieran Brookes, as Simon McIntyre misses out with a groin injury.

In the backs, co-captain Dan Robson and Jacob Umaga maintain their spots in the half-back combination while Fekitoa joins fellow New Zealander Jimmy Gopperth in the centres. Marcus Watson, Josh Bassett and Zach Kibirige occupy the back-three once again.

Lima Sopoaga, Tom West, Tim Cardall and Will Porter are back among the replacements as Wasps look to return to winning ways.

Wasps Interim Head Coach Lee Blackett said: “I feel like we’d been moving in the right direction – obviously in the three games before Leicester we’d scored three try-bonus points but a couple of bounces of the ball and a couple of things that didn’t go our way last weekend meant we didn’t come away with the result.

“This weekend is a different challenge – under the Friday Night Lights – and we’re massively excited for the occasion.

“Sarries were really good last weekend against Sale (Sharks). They managed the game really well so it’ll be a big challenge but hopefully one we will rise to.

“We want to put in a performance we can be proud of and to try and get back to winning ways at The Ricoh.”
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2020, 12:34:40 PM »
Assume Carr is not fully fit, otherwise you would surely start a no8 at no 8 over a flanker?

Apart from that its the best we have, so not many options really.

I didn't realise Rowlands is on the bench for Wales so should get his first cap.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2020, 12:39:09 PM »
To play:

15 Alex Goode
14 Rotimi Segun
13 Duncan Taylor
12 Brad Barritt (c)
11 Alex Lewington
10 Manu Vunipola
9 Tom Whiteley
1 Richard Barrington
2 Jack Singleton
3 Vincent Koch
4 Joel Kpoku
5 Callum Hunter-Hill
6 Nick Isiekwe
7 Sean Reffell
8 Jackson Wray

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2020, 12:39:35 PM »
Replacements

16 Tom Woolstencroft
17 Rhys Carre
18 Josh Ibuanokpe
19 Andy Christie
20 Kapeli Pifeleti
21 Ben Spencer
22 Dom Morris
23 Ali Crossdale

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2020, 12:42:11 PM »
Think our bench has the potential to make the difference and our 10-12-13 could really get things going.

Shields at 8 (as he is familiar there) adds a bit more grunt with the dirty work in defence and at the breakdown, especially as Willis carries hard for a flanker.

Also means Nemo and his pace can pose some questions when the defence is a little more tired.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2020, 12:46:12 PM »
Congrats to Rowlands and Launchbury this weekend but whilst I think Cardall and Flament are excellent young players it shows again how we are lacking power and some quality at lock and along with 12 would be my signing focus for next season (again)
Lineout should improve with Matthews however.

Shame Zhvania is out again after a brief appearance last week, hopefully nothing serious.
Not massively confident on this one

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2020, 12:51:47 PM »
Assume Carr is not fully fit, otherwise you would surely start a no8 at no 8 over a flanker?

Apart from that its the best we have, so not many options really.

I didn't realise Rowlands is on the bench for Wales so should get his first cap.

If Carr's not fully fit he shouldn't be in the 23.  I suspect this is more to do with Carr's potential impact off the bench.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2020, 12:55:21 PM »
If Carr's not fully fit he shouldn't be in the 23

Really?
I would suggest that rarely is a professional rugby player not playing with some sort of niggle or issue, if no one played with an injury I doubt most sides would get a full side out every week  :)

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2020, 01:31:38 PM »
OK.  I'll rephrase that.  If he's fit enough for the bench then he's fit enough to start.

Witness England's World Cup final if you need a reminder of how pre-determined substitutions don't always go to plan.  Anyone on the bench should be fit enough to put in a full 80 minute shift if injury dictates.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2020, 01:46:06 PM »
Like the look of the team.

It's always good to have an international standard back row and ditto for two thirds of the front row to. I think we can put pressure on the EA's and try to get quality ball to our back three especially. Looking forwards to Fekitoa getting into the opposition and keeping them guessing. I also think we'll have a very motivated team tomorrow night

I hope Jimmy is used to provide some control and game management and that we get into the game early doors

Good to see Brad starting. Just glad its for us at 8 and not England! Least this week.

Old Geezer

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2020, 02:24:13 PM »
Where is Cruise at the moment?  Any info appreciated.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2020, 02:27:26 PM »
Where is Cruise at the moment?  Any info appreciated.
Had been struggling with an injury, not sure how long/how serious

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2020, 02:32:19 PM »
I'll hold my judgement on the 8 selection until after the game. Carr has played alot of rugby so understand a break but maybe not when Vialanu is broken.
Glad to see Cardall on the bench, he's been pretty good when given a chance.
EA's played well last week. My genuine concern back 3 as Basset aside, the other 2 can't catch colds and suspect the ball will be in the air more than at ground level in the borefest of kickball.