Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Coaching  (Read 4610 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Coaching
« on: February 22, 2020, 09:43:40 AM »
With Dai now gone I suspect we'll finally find out the answer to the question that has been on everyone's mind.

Was the slump down to Dai or his team?

I don't want to take anything away from what Dai did for the club, but I strongly suspect that last night will not turn out to be a one off. I think we will see the team playing with more freedom, I think the defence will be more aggressive knowing that the attack is waiting in the wings.  I think we'll see fewer preplanned trainingmoves and more heads up rugby lead by Umaga and Sopps.

I also, and I know this won't be popular in some quarters, think that we'll see Costello come into his own as a coach.  I am led to believe that the squad rate him very highly as a coach and that he has been taking the flak for other people's decisions.

Roll on Irish!
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Coaching
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 11:12:15 AM »
Prediction is this free thinking rugby playing may benefit both Umaga and Sopoaga.

In the time Sopoaga was on that's the most confident I've seen him play in ages.

AKWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 11:37:25 AM »
Prediction is this free thinking rugby playing may benefit both Umaga and Sopoaga.

In the time Sopoaga was on that's the most confident I've seen him play in ages.

Sops looked like a real live wire. Helped with him having Umaga and Gopps as fellow playmakers.

Wonder if Lima at 15 could be something we see more of as we replicate WLR’s influence as an extra playmaker.

Lima’s broken field running definitely fits the bill there too

MarleyWasp

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2020, 12:30:16 PM »
I'm sorely tempted to start Lima at 15 against Irish. I've never felt fully confident with Watson at 15.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2020, 01:21:55 PM »
I suspect Watson is crocked again, watching him before he had to go off.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2020, 01:48:48 PM »
If Watson is injured and Miller is ok I'd go Miller at 15. I like Sopoaga but I don't think he's a 15. He's a 10. Currently our back up 10 to Umaga. I don't have a problem with that - no doubt he'll get chances at 10 and he needs to take them and become first choice again. I'd be happy going into next season with them both.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 01:53:11 PM »
It’s an interesting point. Blackett’s Rotherham played such an exciting brand of rugby that took them to the play offs and they generally played better than the sum of their parts.
Blackett comes to Wasps and we improve each year and play some great stuff, with Cipriani added to the mix and the galacticos full backs that have graced us we got to the final and we’re playing the most exciting rugby in Europe but it wasn’t to be and then started the decline.
Cipriani then left and our attack suffered and many wondered whether it was cipriani leading the sessions all that time and whilst he was clearly instrumental in how we played there was a clear shift back to the forwards and a structured game plan.more focus was placed on the maul and exits and a set game plan, all those Dai quotes rang true, respecting the ball, playing in the right areas of the field, earning the right to go wide.
We then stuttered, Robson and Simpson before looked like they were reading a playbook through before making any decisions, Sopoaga one of the best in the world when he signed didn’t know what to do with himself, the back three never saw the ball as we played one out runners and more pick and gos - we then tried to do something and we knocked on, maybe everyone was overthinking everything.

Of course one swallow does not a summer make, but some quotes from Blackett are interesting, taking the pressure off from making the Ricoh a ‘fortress’, going out and enjoying it.
Maybe we have seen a turn around in fortunes as the shackles have been taken off. We will need more of a specific game plan at times I’m sure and someone else I still believe needs to come in but let’s hope there’s more of this to come.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 02:27:10 PM »
Based on something I heard this morning I think you have it correct.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 04:23:54 PM »
It's easier to look the nuts coming on when the game is won by some margin.
I think we need to temper the reaction a bit, we weren't great last week and until we string  2 or 3 performances like this together I am not claiming we have turned any corner.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 04:38:29 PM »
I think we need to temper the reaction a bit, we weren't great last week and until we string  2 or 3 performances like this together I am not claiming we have turned any corner.

Let's at least have the weekend to enjoy it before the reality check! 😁
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2020, 04:40:55 PM »
I want no reality checks in my part of the world. Rose tinted glasses all the way thank you.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2020, 04:57:04 PM »

Let's at least have the weekend to enjoy it before the reality check! 😁
Sure, doesnt hurt

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2020, 05:52:35 PM »
Agree but I'd argue three BP wins in relatively quick succession with two away from home and one against the champions signals an upturn.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2020, 08:14:27 PM »
Agree but I'd argue three BP wins in relatively quick succession with two away from home and one against the champions signals an upturn.
A win against the top and a loss against the bottom. Upturn yes, agreed..corner turned, not yet but hopefully soon.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2020, 11:45:56 PM »
Minozzi looked to have rib damage today, so if both Minozzi and Watson are out then well worth continuing with Lima.