Always a Wasp

Author Topic: O F kick time  (Read 1862 times)

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
O F kick time
« on: February 23, 2020, 03:55:58 PM »
I just timed OF time from electing to kick a penalty, 1 min. 30 sec., I thought only 1 min. was allowed please correct me if i'm wrong, is it just a conversion, much the same as use it at the scrum.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: O F kick time
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2020, 04:03:59 PM »
Guess he just really enjoys his kicking as he’s doing so much of it today. Thought it was a minute from when he has the tee.

Lots and lots of kicking from England, clearly a tactic again we’re playing and it’s worked for the first two tries but not sure why we continuously are kicking away first phase ball.
Still struggling to warm to England under Jones and the Saracens cloud
« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 04:24:41 PM by JonnyD »

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2020, 04:23:57 PM »
From the Laws: 
Takes the kick within 90 seconds (playing time) from the time the try was awarded, even if the ball rolls over and has to be placed again. Sanction: Kick is disallowed.

So it all depends on whether the ref stops the clock to check or for some other reason.

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2020, 04:30:21 PM »
it wasn't  try it was a pen

WaspsUpNorth

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2020, 05:43:48 PM »
At our last match in Newcastle Lima took as absolute age with a penalty to ensure the clock turned red.  The only problem was his attempt fell short and we had to valiantly defend until about the 87th minute for the win!

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2020, 06:38:16 PM »
it wasn't  try it was a pen

Sorry my mistake - for a penalty it is (law 8-21):

The kick must be taken within 60 seconds (playing time) from the time the team indicated their intention to do so, even if the ball rolls over and has to be placed again. Sanction: Kick is disallowed and a scrum is awarded.

BG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2020, 07:11:56 PM »
When kicking a penalty you are allowed to replace the ball (as long as the kick takes place within the time limit) but not so with a conversion.. because if you approach the ball then that's part of the conversion process and teams are allowed to start to charge the kick (Peter Stringer being the best example).. if you haven't  moved before the ball falls over you can ask the ref to approach but he may force you to pick it up and drop kick it